PEAX Equipment

Off season game plan

jerm8352

Hello,

This was pretty much my first year hunting at all. I just moved to Wyoming and hunted elk almost every weekend from October until this last weekend. With little to no hunting experience, I was hapoy that I lucked into some opportunities at elk. Each one was squandered, but the fact that I had opportunities without much experience was a great thing. I am now working on my off season game plan. I know that nothing beats time in the bush, but what is my best use of time when I can not be up the mountain? Is it reading books or magazines or watching videos and if so what are some good ones to watch or read? Is it spending time on google earth virtual scouting? I plan on spending as much time in the woods and shooting my rifle as possible, but I am just looking at some advise on how to best prepare to be a successful hunter when I can not be in elk country.

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy

J. Y. Jones wrote a book some time back called "Ask the Elk Guides" Link below. This was designed as a read for those preping to go on Guided elk hunts, but has just as much value to the unguided hunter. Rifle selection, conditioning, how to hunt. Great Read.
http://www.amazon.com/Ask-Elk-Guides/dp/1571573240

The biggest shooting tip I can give is to practice from field positions, and shoot stressed... Shoot out of breath, fatigued, tired, shoot on a clock, with people shouting at you and push your range envelope on the range if possible. Learn to tune out distractions at the range, and you will be able to tune them out in the field.

Make the best use of the time in the woods you have. Even if its not the elk woods. I took up Birdwatching to spend extra time in the woods. Keeps the eyes trained for movement, color, helps train you with your binos.

Everything mentioned already is great. I really try to focus on staying in shape and shooting alot. This year on our annual elk hunt, we had 2 guys out of 5 that didn't tag out. One guy was in terrible shape and couldn't hunt hard every day and the other guy missed 5 different bulls...

How were your opportunities squandered?
Learning from your mistakes is a good start.

You can read, google, watch all you want and you
will probably pick up a few important points, but nothing
will ever compare to time on the hill.

Go look for sheds, practice stalking on elk even if your
season is over to iron out any noises or squeaks in your
gear, learn how thermals change as the day progresses, watch
animals reactions to weather changes, moon phases, human pressure
and watch bulls grow velvet.

Hunting is so much more then just putting a tag on an animal who's life
you have just taken.

jerm, listen to these guys along with comments from others. No SA comments to your questions from this group of guys. Just years of practice being outdoors.

For those of us who are married.....build up the husband points! Pretty darn hard to shoot an elk when you are attending a function with the wife!

Sounds like the OP doesnt have a problem with that....maybe not married? Beware, situations change fast and a happy wife is a happy hunter.

The wife is trying to have us live off the fish I catch, animals I shoot, and vegetables she grows in the garden as much as possible so she is totally fine with me hunting as much as I want but i need to start producing soon or I am sure that will change.

This year, one opportunity was squandered when the elk moved to private land, I missed at about 375 yards, and I hit one at the end only to find very little blood and days of searching turned up nothing. The shooting errors will be corrected at the range, my biggest concern is more that I "lucked" upon these opportunities more than I got into elk because of my knowledge and abilities.

I am looking for some reading material, however most books and articles are about shooting a 350+ bull. While that would be nice, I am worried about putting meat in the freezer not so much antlers on the wall.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

First thing i do is try to stay in shape. hunting elk here in Wyoming is very physically demanding. Best thing you can do is to stay sharp physically and shooting wise. Get a pair of snow shoes and go trapse around the mountains in the winter, finish out upland bird season(will always keep you in shape and is great for practice for out of breath shooting.) also spend time studying maps and talking to locals. As soon as the roads open up in the mountains(usually around late march here in the bighorns) Get up there every weekend and start tracking herds. Where abouts in Wyoming are you? The elk in the southern central part of the state tend migrate a good ways, while the elk in the West and North have home ranges and the elk in the Snowies and the Bighhorns migrate very little. if you archery hunt...go to your local range and shoot shoot shoot from all distances and angles. Go shoot 3D courses. Practice your bugling and cow calling. Many people also dont take the time to service their equipment. clean your rifle, tune your bow, give your truck and atv a good tune-up. Early Summer is a good time to go set up game cameras and just be in the mountains. Learn the terrain before the season comes so that you know where you are at and where the elk go when pressured. Hope this helps, and let me know if you ever hunt up in the Big Horns.

As far as reading goes, start with this forum. Lots of good, unbiased info from dozens of experienced and acomplished elk hunters. JMO

Honestly the best advice I can tell you is the more your out there in the hills the more your're going to learn. With each blown stalk the more you'll learn what not to do next time. Plus the more miles you put on the better chances you'll have. I hit the mountains hard last yr and this yr during bow season and rifle. This year the only elk I had a chance at is in the pic above.

Last edited:
Back