Of Interest to Anyone Who Spends Time in Bear Country

Our church has a security team of which I am a part. We regularly hold "drills" where we meet, have dummy weapons, and act out various scenarios that could happen at the building. The person chosen to act out the given scenario is not disclosed to the majority of the team nor the chosen scenario. We use the sound and video system to simulate a church service and loud gun shots.

Even in a scenario like that, where you "know" that something is going to happen and you have to react a certain way, it's surprising how difficult it can be to do the "right" thing. Your nerves get the best of you, your heart is pounding, and you fumble something you've done flawlessly in practice a hundred time. I can't even imagine trying to remain calm in a bear attack. And I'm certain the vast majority of hunters don't invest time training to respond correctly.

A week at Front Sight would probably go a long ways towards getting one started! Too rich for my wallet but I've heard great things about their training programs.

Based on my extensive experience with grizzly bear charges (one), I have concluded that unless you see the bear before it begins its charge and prepare to defend yourself either with spray or with a weapon; if it wants to get you it will.
Guys who think they will do this or they will do that if charged are basically fooling themselves to think they can control the situation.

When it happens all you can do is react as best as you can given the variables of the individual situation.

I have heard of and know of some fortunate individuals who have proven the opposite of what I just stated but they were lucky and most would admit it.

Old man once told me to file the front site off your bear pistol. I asked him if that was to make the draw stroke smoother and faster...he said no...hurts less when the bear shoves it into your nether regions...

I know myself well enough that I would not react by using spray or a gun. I have been in 3 trauma situations - one involving an aggressive animal. I'm two of those I ran and one I froze. You must have the fight response in order to deploy a weapon of any kind. Not anything you can practice well unless you come face to face with a real and unexpected threat. I did have a black bear encounter one other time but I am not afraid of them and they are far less lethal aggressive or dangerous so this hardly compares. In that situation a threw a rock and bear ran away.

I know myself well enough that I would not react by using spray or a gun. I have been in 3 trauma situations - one involving an aggressive animal. I'm two of those I ran and one I froze. You must have the fight response in order to deploy a weapon of any kind. Not anything you can practice well unless you come face to face with a real and unexpected threat. I did have a black bear encounter one other time but I am not afraid of them and they are far less lethal aggressive or dangerous so this hardly compares. In that situation a threw a rock and bear ran away.

What were you running from?

I would carry bear spray for the initial charge/attack, and my .357 to shoot the bear as it is chomping me. Of course who knows how it would actually go down. Point being I feel more comfortable carrying multiple lines of defense.

Same magazine as the OP's post but, from back in Feb. this year. The class looks like an awesome one although, I have not personally attended. Looks like about $450 for two days. But - bonus - you get to interact with a live, 850lb grizz. Might be worth attending!

What were you running from?
One was a charging bull bison

The other one someone broke into my residence at night, woke me up at gunpoint and ordered me outside. Once I was outside I ran, then flagged someone down to call the police.

The one time I froze was when someone tried to assault my friend with me sitting a few feet away. I froze like a statue. Fortunately my friend turned him into a pretzel in about 5 seconds so it didn't matter that i wasn't able to help out.

i prefer having a buddy with a shotgun but interesting nonetheless.

One was a charging bull bison

The other one someone broke into my residence at night, woke me up at gunpoint and ordered me outside. Once I was outside I ran, then flagged someone down to call the police.

The one time I froze was when someone tried to assault my friend with me sitting a few feet away. I froze like a statue. Fortunately my friend turned him into a pretzel in about 5 seconds so it didn't matter that i wasn't able to help out.
Dang. I think I'd run too!

My thoughts on pistols in the woods are similar to everyday or concealed carry. It is 100% imperative to train from the holster. In the majority of circumstances I will take a clean, smooth draw pushing onto target with proper trigger control over the ability to shoot ten rings in a climate controlled indoor range. If you are going to carry a bear gun in the field, you might as well train and become proficient for the human predators that are likely a much greater threat.

Back