Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

objective size vs tube size

JohnnyT

New to higher end scopes, never really need to shoot past 80-100 yards in Georgia. Headed to Northwest Montana in November. Looking at Leupold 4-14. If you had to choose one of these which and why:
1' tube but 50mm objective
- or -
30mm tube but 40mm objective

what is the most important factor, the size of the objective or the tube? I know I can get both, but height is a concern.
thx

The only thing a larger diameter tube provides is more internal adjustment.

As for objective size, you will gain a little FOV and Brightness moving from the 40mm to a 50mm.

If the majority of your shots are 80-100 I would look for something that provides more FOV than the 4.5-14.

I'm good for my Ga rifle, adding a scope to my 7mag for NW Montana late season, looking for input from experienced Elk / Mule Deer western hunters on scope for that trip and future western trips

What are you using now?
Granted i'm in PA, but where i hunt, i can see animals 20ft to over 1,200 yards.
I get by with a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X42.
My Sightron 3-9X40 works well also.

40mm objective usually seems like not enough to me (depending on glass quality). 50mm with a 30mm tube just makes things heavy. Especially the further away from the truck.
The 42 mm with 1" tube seems to strike a good balance.

Large objective lenses can feel cumbersome at times. JohnnyT, you specifically mention Leupold and a upcoming hunt in Montana. For a do all scope at a good price I think the VX-5HD 3-15x44mm is tough to beat for western hunting.

Agreed. A good 3-9, 4-12, 3-15 scope with a 44mm objective is perfect. 1" tube is cheaper, lighter, and perfectly fine for hunting.

Bigger the tube..more clicks, better the coatings...brighter and clearer. 44mm is as big as I'll go on the objective. My VX5 44mm eyeball gathers ambient light nicely & the phat tube provides ample up twist...it and the VX6 are alpha comparable IMO. That said, the VX3i in 30mm or 1" tube offers no appreciable performance fall off for my eyes. Nor does the VXR. All my 3Xi & R are 40mm obj. All track consistently and kill stuff...right over there and way out there.

Buy a 40mm from a quality company and you’ll be fine. Leupold VX-3s have served me well out West.
Just make sure you have good binoculars. You’ll spend far more time looking through them than a rifle scope.

Also, practice from field positions at 300-400 yards.

My only advice is the 30mm has more options with zero lock turrets. The scope you are looking at in 1” doesn’t. I own it and while it is a nice scope I like my VX5 with the zero lock better, but not for the glass. There is some comfort when you feel that click and stop, you know your at your zero without looking. The VX3i in 1” doesn’t and it’s just one more thing you have to pay attention to before you shoot.

thanks gents, I also do not plan to go with a CDS dial, I plan to just practice out to 500 yds and be comfortable and know my rifle; zero at 200 and hold over practice. I'm not a match shooter/target shooter but a hunter and plan at this point to just get the duplex reticle and again, shoot and learn and know my holdover. Any advice on that, I know for decades many people were successful at that and I just want to keep it simple. Outfitter tells me their average shot is between 300-400 over past many years.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back