NW Montana

Binner86

Florida Cracker, born and raised, trying to elk hunt in the mountains. This is an adventure. I'm in Northwest Montana in Clark Fork Drainage area until the end of October. (Noxon-Thompson Falls)

I've done some desk scouting on Google Earth and OnXMaps. Found what looked like decent places to scout. I've hiked up and scouted two different areas and so far, I've been able to find scat. Had one elk crash through the brush after dark last night. I've been up to 4600 feet on my hikes so far. I'm not finding anything in AM or PM. I'm assuming they are up higher. Don't hear anything calling in the woods yet, its really quiet. I'm here until end of October but starting to get discouraged because I'm not finding anything alive. I've ran into my fair share of whitetail and I do have two tags for those. Just really wanted to locate some elk so I can narrow down my search area.

Just look for confirmation as to whether they are probably up higher and/or moving more at night? I know next weekend is full moon and we have some colder air moving through. Hoping that makes them wake up. I'm out here for two months and lack of ability to find elk so far feels like I'm looking in the wrong place. If anyone else has some insight to point me in a better direction than what I'm doing already or confirm that I'm not crazy and they are just higher up than I've hiked already that would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Last edited:
Welcome!! There's some good fishing to be had in the area. Noxon has a decent sized stocked trout pond and the lake at Big Eddy campground has walleye and pike and some nice bass and whitefish. Good luck on your quest.

The elk are definitely bugling around here. Get away from roads and trails. I have been finding them at the upper ends of high elevation basins with a nearby water source. Most of the bulls I have found were not up on the ridges, but down in the thick creek bottoms from 4500'-5500'. Good luck

That's some thick country. Hunted around T falls a number of times but across the boarder, if the aren't bugling they can be hard to locate. Find areas that you can get back into and do some glossing onto open hillsides early and late. Also try to find any old burns and keep an eye out there. It's been a few years but thise were some strategies we used with success.

Try the Deerhorn Mountain, Jungle Creek area up Thompson River. Fairly open with old clearcuts and I would bet a lot of the elk have moved in there from the Copper King fire. Bring your deer tag, bear tag, and a couple wolf tags with you.

Sounds like I just need to get higher up. I've got a few spots scouted. Yea, I'd like to go up near the fire. Not sure if they opened the access road to it. Heard locals joking about everyone will be hunting it since fire seems to attract them. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks for input.

The west side Thompson road is open. The fire is almost out. I'm heading up there this weekend to look for a color phase boar this weekend.

Up high and down low can both be good. Lots of cows down low to bring rutting bulls down. Hunting the public/private interface can be frustrating but can be well worth it.

Tough country and easy to be discouraged. But that's elk hunting! All the above is good advice in my experience. I would be looking at the top third of the mountains, particularly cooler, north-facing slopes with some water nearby. You have picked some very challenging country for a first elk hunt.

I would not worry about getting up higher, stay in the bottom of the drainages. The wolves have the elk nervous, so lots of cow calling and not much bugling. I would give the Vermillion River area a try. it gets pressure, but get off the road a bit and you'll find elk.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back