Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

NV pronghorn migration

TexRed

The tag gods looked down on me favorably this year. Not only did I manage to draw a 16 archery elk tag as well as a deer tag in NM. I also was drawn for one of the only, if not the only, non-resident Nevada pronghorn tags for the migration hunt (Oct 15-30) in units 202 and 204. I put in for this hunt as a long shot and fully expected to just gain another point.
This will be my first pronghorn hunt as well as my first hunt in NV. Needless to say I am looking forward to seeing new country and spending the better part of 2 weeks chasing speed goats with my best hunting buddy. It’ll be a nice change of pace from backpacking and freeze dried meals.
I have been doing a fair amount of studying up and learning about the units and herds. Apparently it’s a migration hunt that could be considered limited opportunity since the heard summers in California and winters in NV and is daily small in numbers. Research shows the Bodie-Wassuk her averages around 150 animals depending on yearly variables. However, folks I have already visited with said to expect some studs lopes to come out of there. I am not overly picky on size of the trophy but more with the experience and finding an animal I will be happy with. I am fully prepared for relatively long shots if given the right opportunity.
Does anyone have any advice on this area or how to hunt migrating/post-rut antelope. Do they start behaving differently after rut and go to cover? Or do they maintain there keenness for open country on into late October?
Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Wet cool I’m no help but please let us know how you do. Congratulations on a heck of draw!

I know there are regularly speed goats near Bodie, and there are good roads to access Bodie from several sides. I have not come across them near the ammo dump, but there are good numbers of big horns out there. Its very remote terrain, with little access to anything. I wish I could come help, but I'll be on an OTC hunt in Idaho at that time. Best of luck, don't ever pass up an opportunity to fill up on gas and water.

Back