Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nunivak Muskox

TBinKodiak

Quick hunt. We got in on January 31st and had both bulls down by 1pm on February 1st, 15 miles from town. I took this bull out of a small group of 7, then we went after a herd on the horizon for my partner. That herd was about 25 head and had a couple bigger bulls than the one I took. Buddy got one of the two biggest. Mine is pretty close to his, but it is older and has worn down tips, may have a little more mass though since his was 5 years old and mine was 8ish. Anyway, it was an interesting adventure and I am happy with my bull.
Musk Ox!!

Bull Down

This old gal hung around for 5 hours. We had to move her off with the snow machines and she stood there the whole time we butchered the bull.

Mekoryuk, the friendliest village I have ever been too. Everyone waves and says hello or asks how your hunt is going. We stayed in the house to the left of the green one (picture taken from the frozen Bering Sea).

Looks like fun. Don't see a lot of grass - do they eat in the winter time or just stand in a circle till Spring?

Looks a cool as it is cold. I got to eat some muskox this year. It was in a stew and was good. Not sure how it would be as a stand alone item. Congrats on what must have been an amazing adventure.

thanks for sharing with us! my first experience with home canned meat was musk ox and the memory still makes my mouth water. enjoy!

I have read that muskox constantly walk into the wind to feed on ridges where the snow is being blown off...might be why they have such a winter coat. thanks for posting

Looks a cool as it is cold. I got to eat some muskox this year. It was in a stew and was good. Not sure how it would be as a stand alone item. Congrats on what must have been an amazing adventure.

Had stew tonight with some front shoulder cuts and it was delicious. :D
Steaks from the back ham were a little tough but the flavor is great hoping the extra couple days of aging will tenderize it up a bit (probably doesn't help that it was an old bull). Backstrap is marbled like a prime beef cut so I am looking forward to grilling some of those up. Ended up with 190lbs of boned and trimmed meat so I got plenty to experiment with. :hump:

Congrats on a great trophy and adventure. Call me a wimp but I'll hunt them in the fall.

Very well done! A pard and I plan on starting to put in for those this year. Muskox are near the top, IMO, for a cool looking critter!

Awesome hunt TB. Can't imagine the conditions up there this time of year. Thanks for sharing............
-Cade

Cool hunt. I realized those things are a lot smaller than I first thought after seeing one in person for the first time.

How big of cooler due you need to bring the meat back . What did you due with the cape. Looks like a great time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back