Number OneTips that you can give me for elk hunting

This summer I have been scouting and researching my area that I am going to be hunting. I hope God will send me a nice cow elk. Any tips that will help me harvest an elk for my family. Thank you very much.:)

You can defeat an elk's eyes, and you can defeat an elk's ears, but you will never ever defeat an elk's nose.

Play the wind for the win.

Rifle hunting? Play the wind. Don't try to do too much. If the herd is ahead of you late in the morning, and do not appear to be scared, hang back. Rest up. Come back evening/morning for a couple days to see if you do not catch up with them again in the same spot.

Notwithstanding the advice regarding smell (which is all true, by the way), I recommend you put your boots and socks in your day pack and go barefoot. It slows you down, enhances your senses, quiets you and gets you in touch with your inner, primal predator.

When you stop laughing at me, try it.

Pay as much attention to what other hunters are doing as you do to what the elk are doing. Hunters overlook some good country that seems too close, or too far, or whatever. If you never see anyone go to a place, guess where the elk probably are.

Jeremy

You can also be on the lookout for other hunters in the area that are not pursuing elk. One hand washes the other.

Visit a bar some night if you like the bubbly. You might get some information that way.

The #1 rule, no doubt, is DON'T GIVE UP.

Every time that I told myself to not be a poon, I filled a tag.

Make a packing list and pack accordingly two days before you are scheduled to leave. Last minute panic avoided and you'll sleep better, arriving in hunting zone feeling fresher and prepared.

Be on time . If you are not early you are too late.

Yep. Half an hour before and after sunrise is generally when I shot 90% of my elk. I don't have near as good of luck in the evening, although its not a bad time. I just prefer to hunt the mornings, more daylight to deal with a dead animal.

Good luck!

Along the lines of the prior comments on hunting the wind, one of the cheapest, yet most valuable hunting accessory you can have, is a wind puffer/checker. In the mountains, shifting air currents have spoiled many a hunt.
Then, when you see an Elk, but can't quite shoot it yet, turn away from it, drop your pants and moon it. At a distance an Elk's rump and your own look remarkably the same! Ha!

Know yourself & your weapon of choice well, you must be accurate & confident in it, there's a good chance you will only get one shot, make it count! Practice, practice, practice with it!

ElkNut1

The #1 rule, no doubt, is DON'T GIVE UP.

Every time that I told myself to not be a poon, I filled a tag.

Great advise! Elk hunting is a tough mental game. Keep after them. I killed my bull the last day of a 10 day hunt this year. It gets tough but don't give up.

Be prepared to cover lots of ground.
With your boots. With your binoculars. With your truck.
Elk are big animals that live in big places.
If you’re not seeing elk, or fresh sign, move to a different area.
They say that 90% of the elk live in 10% of the area.
Find that 10% first, then hunt elk.

Some good stuff here.

For a cow hunt, this maybe isn't as important but my advice would be to have an absolutely top notch hunting partner(very difficult to find). You could draw a primo tag and struggle if your hunting partner sucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back