Caribou Gear

NR Green field hunts

Cammy

I am having issues understanding how the green field hunts work for a non-resident or if a non-resident can even apply. I was in contact with a land owner a couple years ago who offered me a place to hunt, but not really understanding everything involved kind of screwed the plan. Can anyone provide inisight as to whether or not a non-resident can participate in these hunts?

Here is a primer on greenfield hunts. If you would like to drill down on a specific Zone or Unit, DM me the info and I don't mind going through it.

Yes, anyone can apply. They are open to anyone having a valid resident or NR license and tag for that zone. They are almost always the "A" tag for the zone.

The important thing about greenfield hunts is that they are open on OR WITHIN 1 mile of ag land, excluding land inside the USFS boundary. You have to use the appropriate USFS forest map, not OnX. This is because the USFS boundary is a legislated line on the map, not a property ownership definition. There can be private land inside the legislated USFS boundary that is not legal for greenfield hunts. )

(If your friend's land is within that USFS boundary on the map, it would not be open for greenfield hunts. )

Agricultural land in the definition includes tree nurseries, vineyards, and orchards, but not private timber land.

That leaves IDL State land, corporate timber land, BLM and other public land, private land with permission, etc. open to hunt.
(IMPORTANT - read carefully, it is possible that not all the units in the Zone will be open for greenfield. I.E. the Beaverhead Zone excludes Units 30,30A)

This applies to OTC hunts in the following zones: Palouse, Salmon, Lemhi, Beaverhead, Brownlee, South Hills, Big Desert.
---------------
Controlled (draw only) greenfield tags usually do not have the USFS land restriction, but the number of tags will be capped and they may have weapons restrictions.

Any greenfield hunts may have additional restrictions. I.E. "irrigated agricultural land", or weapons restrictions.

To plan a greenfield hunt,
1.Start with the Elk Reg pamphlet for the Zone you intend to hunt. Look at the A Tag for the zone for a hunt starting early or mid August within 1 mile of Agricultural land.
2. If there is not one listed in your Zone, go to the Controlled hunt section and scan the right column of the hunt list for the phrase, "ON or within 1 mile of private agricultural land."
3. Read all the applicable notes for that Zone and tag.

Finally:

I know of no greenfield hunts in NR quota units, but they are subject to the selling out of the availble 12,815 nonresident elk tags. Those tags are sold out for 2020.

Thank-you for the reply. Like I said I was looking at this a couple of years ago and became discouraged and gave up. Was thinking about possibly next year IF I can understand it all. LOL! I will get you that zone I was thinking of if you are open to assisting.

Where abouts are you in Northern Idaho? I hunt the Pan Handle every year for Whitetails.

The unit I was looking at was the Palouse Zone, 8, 8A, 11A. If I understand correctly I can buy the tag OTC for a greenfield hunt in the Palouse zone? Hunt listed on page 35 of the annual regulations book they send you.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back