Not The Biggest Rack, But He's a Horse!

hunt1up

I've been fortunate enough to kill some pretty good bucks. This deer isn't the biggest racked buck I've shot, but he's mature and is just a beast. One of my new favorites.

Yesterday afternoon I got out of work early and got in my stand around 2:45. I was hunting my uncle's property, which I purposely stay out of until late October. I had the perfect wind, blowing away from the main bedding area. This property is 50 acres, but narrow. So I have to hunt tight to the bedding area and the deer are always up close and personal when I spot them. Anyway, around 5:45 a small 6 pointer comes from the bedding area and walks right under me and stops at 10 yards. He caught me off guard so I was still sitting with my bow on the hanger when I look behind me and see this mature 8 pointer coming my way. He crosses the creek, and walks past me, all the while not offering me a shot through the thick brush around me. He ends up walking straight away from me, not offering me a shot. I figured my chance was over. While I was focused on the big buck the little 6 had went ahead of him through the thicket. Suddenly a fawn doe comes busting back my way, the 6 pointer must have chased it. The mature buck sees it and decides it's time to go for a chase. The fawn is now standing 30 yards to my right, right in the open. The buck turns from his route from me and is now headed for the little doe. He stops behind some brush and pees all over himself. He must have realized the doe wasn't ready, as he turned around and walked through a small window that I had at 30 yards. At this point I was already drawn and waiting. When he stepped in my window I let him have it. My Nocturnal confirmed I drilled him. The shot looked high lung. He took off and within seconds I heard crashing. I got down and found modest blood at first. I backed out and picked up a 6 pack and a friend to help track. We got on the trail and it quickly picked up. We found him 70-80 yards from where I shot. My shot was confirmed, high double lung. No pass through and a high shot, so there wasn't a great blood trail.

I'm guessing the deer is 4.5 years old and in the 125-130" range. I'm shooting a 2013 Elite Hunter, 29"/62#, Rage Hypodermics, and Beman ICS Hunter 400s.

This deer looked like he swallowed a basketball. He was extremely swollen. Beer cans provided for reference, lol!

Attachments

• IMG_4765 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_4765 (1024x768).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_4770 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_4770 (768x1024).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_4775 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_4775 (768x1024).jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 806
corn fed deer in the central areas of Illinois always get huge bodies.

hoping to catch this one wandering around in the next couple weeks.

or, if this one shows up, will shoot it in honor of Randy. freak show.

corn fed deer in the central areas of Illinois always get huge bodies.

hoping to catch this one wandering around in the next couple weeks.

He's significantly larger bodied than any of of the other bucks I've shot, including a number of really mature bucks.

Man, that one buck is funnnkkyy. Hope you get him!

Congrats on a very good buck! I hope to just see one that big this year, let alone get a shot!

very nice!! Had a few grunting over here and plenty of scrapes on Sat morning, but, no thing to serious yet they were 2-3 yr olds.

very nice!! Had a few grunting over here and plenty of scrapes on Sat morning, but, no thing to serious yet they were 2-3 yr olds.
That's good to hear. Heading out for the first time this weekend. I'd be happy to slip an arrow into a 2-3 yo buck. Been way to long since I've killed on with a bow...

uuhhmm, yes it is. iffin you was a cubs fan, you'd be drinking old style.:D

Cubs fan...I just can't do it. Went to Wrigley and they sold me a $8 can of Old Style. I choked it down and chalked it up as "part of the experience".

Looks like a really nice buck to me, I would be happy with him. Never shot a whitetail in my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back