Not sure how to put this into perspective

I'm all for renewable energy but these wind farms seem to have too many down sides from manufacturing, installation, maintenance and environmental issues. How many dead wind generators do you see along the highway compared to ones that are actually turning?
Supply and demand for electrical power is a complicated balancing act. If the load demand isn't there for a period (say at night when people are sleeping) then it makes sense to shut down the wind generators. As long as they are spinning and not generating they're subject to wear.

There's a "downside" to every electrical power source. The only environmentally friendly answer is to reduce the demand. And the only real way that can ever be done is 1) first and foremost, reduce the population which means challenging ancient religious and cultural norms [and basic animal instinct for species survival] and 2) curb development which flies in the face of capitalist economics based on greed to become wealthy. Mission Impossible. Ergo we are doomed.

Supply and demand for electrical power is a complicated balancing act. If the load demand isn't there for a period (say at night when people are sleeping) then it makes sense to shut down the wind generators. As long as they are spinning and not generating they're subject to wear.
You’re kind of accurate. Wind doesn’t generate enough energy to actually bank or provide to the grid until it hits a certain sustained speed. It’s reliable certain times of the year and not reliable at all other times of the year. Windmills are expensive as hell to maintain and if 10% of a wind farm is down for maintenance, there typically isn’t a profit.

It doesn’t take a genius to see the impact they have on birds. If you spend any time on a good sized wind farm then you will see dead birds.

Here's a little article I received just this morning

Windmill Facts
By: Dan Nebert
March 28, 2022

That little yellow thing at the top of the picture is a CAT-9 bulldozer. It is burying acres and acres of windmill blades used for “Green Energy.” Why?

Because these blades need to be disposed of, and there is presently no way to recycle them. That’s how green energy works! Who knew? Maybe the people that make them knew. Why would they let that cat out of the bag? After all, they are government-subsidized with tax-payer money (just like every electric car). Also, politicians do not want those huge eyesores in their backyard.

Right now, the average wind farm contains about 150 turbines. Each wind turbine needs 80 gallons of oil as a lubricant, and we're not talking about vegetable oil, this is a PAO synthetic oil based on crude. 12,000 gallons of it for 150 turbines, and that oil needs to be replaced once a year. It is estimated that a little over 3,800 turbines would be needed to power a city the size of New York... That's 304,000 gallons of refined oil per year for just one city. That’s 25+ wind farms.

Now, you have to calculate every city across the nation, large and small, to find the grand total of yearly oil consumption from “clean” energy. Where do you think all that oil is going to come from? Well, since January 2021, it comes from our enemies in the Mideast. Not to mention the fact that the large equipment needed to build these wind farms runs on petroleum. As well as the equipment required for installation, service, maintenance, and eventual removal. And just exactly how eco-friendly is wind energy anyway?

Each turbine requires a footprint of 1.5 acres, so a wind farm of 150 turbines needs 225 acres. To power a city the size of NYC, you'd need 57,000 acres; and who knows the astronomical amount of land you would need to power the entire US. All of which would have to be clear-cut land because trees create a barrier and turbulence that interferes with the 20mph sustained wind velocity necessary for the turbine to work properly. Also, keep in mind that not all states are suitable for such sustained winds. Boy, cutting down all those trees is gonna upset a lot of green-loving tree-huggers.

Let's now talk about disposal.

The lifespan of a modern, top-quality, highly efficient wind turbine is 20 years. After that, what happens to those gigantic fiber composite blades? They cannot be economically reused, refurbished, reduced, repurposed, or recycled. So, it's off to special landfills they go. And, they're already running out of these special landfill spaces for the used blades that have already exceeded their usefulness. Those blades are anywhere from 120 ft. to over 200 ft. long, and there are 3 per turbine. And that's with only 3% to 7% of the nation currently being supplied with (intermittent, i.e., unreliable) wind energy. Just imagine if we had the other 93% of the nation on the wind grid... 20 years from now you'd have all those unusable blades with no place to put them... Then 20 years after that, and 20 years after that, and so on. “Green energy?”

Also, about 500,000 birds are killed each year from wind turbine blade collisions, many of which are endangered hawks, falcons, owls, geese, ducks, and eagles. Apparently, smaller birds are more agile and able to dart and dodge out of the way of the spinning blades, whereas the larger soaring birds aren't so lucky.

Here's another problem with windmills. The generator and switching equipment operate at high power and voltage. Everything in the windmill nacelle (look it up) is compact due to limited space, so there's a danger of arcs and electrical fires. This is prevented by putting all the electrical equipment in a pressure vessel filled with sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), a synthetic gas that has dielectric properties which suppress arcs and fires. However, windmills leak this gas, something around a pound each per year. SF6 has an atmospheric lifetime of 3,200 years and is 22,800 times more effective as a greenhouse gas than carbon.

THIS IS ANOTHER ITEM THAT FALLS UNDER THE CATEGORY OF, “GEE WHIZ, I GUESS WE DIDN’T THINK THIS THROUGH”(!!!)
ARE YOU LISTENING, AOC?

image001.jpg

There's a "downside" to every electrical power source. The only environmentally friendly answer is to reduce the demand. And the only real way that can ever be done is 1) first and foremost, reduce the population which means challenging ancient religious and cultural norms [and basic animal instinct for species survival] and 2) curb development which flies in the face of capitalist economics based on greed to become wealthy. Mission Impossible. Ergo we are doomed.

So kill people and send the rest to reeducation camps to stop them from expanding. Got it. I think there’s a few playbooks for this.

I personally think we should just cut all electricity, go back to covered wagons, hunt and gather food and let the problem sort itself out. CD6DE7CF-C654-4203-AA56-4D5B67C936EF.gif

So if we ban lead bullets because they kill eagles, does that mean we should ban wind farms too?!
The problem here isn't that it's killing the birds, the problem is they forgot to get the permit to kill the birds. That's why they're banning lead ammunition- The bullets didn't get the proper permit. So as long as the windmill gets the permit, it's okay to kill the permitted number of birds. Now we just need to find a way for the bullets to get the permit.

And yes, this entire comment should be taking the same as the following link-

Last edited:
The problem here isn't that it's killing the birds, the problem is they forgot to get the permit to kill the birds. That's why they're banning letter ammunition- The bullets didn't get the proper permit. So as long as the windmill gets the permit, it's okay to kill the permitted number of birds. Now we just need to find a way for the bullets to get the permit.

And yes, this entire comment should be taking the same as the following link-

People who trust the government trying to explain why government is good to the rest of us. F7606B29-10D9-4DCA-8C2E-E009C908D406.gif

Access to consistent, reliable and affordable energy is required in developing nations to pull people out of poverty. There’s nothing worse for the environment than poverty. People that don’t know where their next meal is coming from, and do not have running water or sanitary sewer don’t have the time or ability to be concerned with the things that we are that are beneficial to the environment.
There are people that live near the equator where it is dark 12 hours a day, year round, that do not have reliable electricity. This makes it harder to get an education, and certainly isn’t good for economic activity.
Much closer to home, we have aprox 60,000 members of the Navajo nation without electricity.

It would be better for the environment if we could meet demand worldwide, than if we were to try to reduce it.

Access to consistent, reliable and affordable energy is required in developing nations to pull people out of poverty. There’s nothing worse for the environment than poverty. People that don’t know where their next meal is coming from, and do not have running water or sanitary sewer don’t have the time or ability to be concerned with the things that we are that are beneficial to the environment.
There are people that live near the equator where it is dark 12 hours a day, year round, that do not have reliable electricity. This makes it harder to get an education, and certainly isn’t good for economic activity.
Much closer to home, we have aprox 60,000 members of the Navajo nation without electricity.

It would be better for the environment if we could meet demand worldwide, than if we were to try to reduce it.
I completely agree.

Throughout history people have stumbled accross either more environmentally friendly means or much much more efficient means of using fossil fuels. Somehow they die quicker than Epstein pointing a finger at the Clinton's.

Guy who figured out vaporized gas systems to get 100mpg in a 8 cylinder boat of a car. Dead...SHORTLY after announcing it.

I have a buddy who's figured out a frictionless gearing system. Meaning never wears out and is crazy efficient. He won't use his laptop at his house anymore. I thought he was crazy until he showed me threatening emails and the tracking software installed on it anytime he connects to wifi.

P.S. anytime I go over to see his progress now I take a fresh pic of my junk on my phone... I'm sure the guy hacking into his stuff doesn't find it nearly as funny as we do when my phone sitting on the desk lights up for no reason.

Agreed, though I think an important caveat being that the wealthy use orders of magnitude more energy than poor or even middle class folks.

Reactions: trb
So, a bunch of "scientists" who are totally dependent upon taxpayer money profer solutions to energy problems which they know a) won't solve the problem, b) cause environmental problems far in excess of the technology they purport to replace, but c) sound oh-so-pure for those who are unwilling or unable to think critically.

And leave our deserts and plains alone. They're fine unencumbered.

I'm OK with wind farms, as long as they are placed in New York, California, Delaware, Martha's Vineyard, and the Hamptons. ;)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back