Not good

TOM IN TENNESSEE

Exiting my SubDivision to turn on two lane paved road to make a beer and smokes run, there was two mature hens......they only had one poult between them....area is mowed so there were no others hiding in deeper grass.....I am afraid all the damn rain downpours we have had has badly affected recruitment....

Exiting my SubDivision to turn on two lane paved road to make a beer and smokes run, there was two mature hens......they only had one poult between them....area is mowed so there were no others hiding in deeper grass.....I am afraid all the damn rain downpours we have had has badly affected recruitment....

Afraid I'll find the same thing down east in the swamps when the water goes down. The county I hunt got 28" in the month of June and first week of July.

I'll find out this weekend when I syay at the farm in Va how the birds are doing down there. Shouldn't be to bad , a lot of high ground and thick pines.

lots of precip can have an affect. Too bad. Birds are doing well in ID. Hopefully the neighborhood pests got them and it isn't region wide...

Birds are good in Va. We were sitting on the beach of the lake and a hen was with 15 yards late evening calling her young to her under some thickets. It was cool, she didn;t mind us being there.

I saw 2 hens on my run this morning with only 4 poults between them and 2 other hens on my way to work with 5 poults.

I blame the wolves!!!! :mad:

Ya the rain here in east tn has been bad kinda worried about the turkey poults. Going to check trail camera Saturday see if I got any been a while since I checked it.

Another thing that concerned me was the poult should have been bigger by now. Makes me think the hen had to try a second clutch.....do not think either hen was a last years late hatch and bred late.....think the rain here has fugged the recruitment.

Trade wanted...turkeys for rain.

thats how its been here for the whole summer too. very dry.
I agree with the possibility of her having a late second clutch. Hope all turns out for you. Water and skunks, are very bad for the early stages for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back