Nosler Accubond performance A++

squid

I thought I would share this with the community the recent performance from my Son's first bull. He purchased a Browning x-bolt 30-06 over the summer and we settled on Federal Premium ammunition loaded up with 165grn Nosler Accubond's His gun was producing great groups all summer long with this ammo and I also using a 30-06 set my gun up with it as well.

My son (Mason) was able to put three well placed shots on a bull at 280 yards with this round. All three shots passed through the boiler room and were lodged just under the hide on the opposite side. Bullets weighed 147.2 151.1 and 149.7 grains. Ironically this bull ate led like a pro, two rounds entered on his left side, he turned around and the third entered on the right side. He never flinched, only took a few steps between rounds and fell over after about 20 seconds. Mason_Elk.jpgNosler.jpg

Congrats! Sounds like the bullets did their job!

I got a few PM and figured I'd give a little more background here. There is quite a back channel of info behind this story. Mason is 21 and has been disabled since he was 9. Fortunately over the past two years we have found a path to recovery for him and he has regained about 90+% functionality in his life back, and is progressing towards 100%

He works part time on a neighbors ranch and saved up enough money to by that gun about 12 months ago in prep for this hunt. He started walking with a loaded backpack in the spring and practiced quite a bit with that rifle at the range and dry firing sessions all summer long.

Our hunt was anything but easy, We put in long days and lots of miles, weathered sub zero temps, wind chills of -30 to -50 and total white out snow conditions. It was a true test as two years ago he could barely get off the couch to go to the bathroom. He persevered and on day 6 of our trip he made it all count. I was by his side and watched it all go down. On top of all that, 10 minutes after he filled his tag, I was able to do the same with Mason at my side and drop a bull less than 100 yards from where his laid dead.

srelk.jpgIMG_3815.jpg

Great job for both of you! The 30-06 is pretty darn hard to beat and so is the 165 gr. Accubond for everything. It sure seems like a match made in heaven. That exact bullet or the 165 gr. Partition are all I load in my 30-06. I was fortunate enough to get to go on a grizzly bear hunt on the north side of the Brooks Range a couple months back and I used 140 gr. Accubonds in my 280 AI. One shot at 158 yards tight behind the shoulder and my bear was done! The bullet exited the off side and expanded nicely as shown by the nice hole on the exit side. Great bullets!

Got a little dusty in here, reading the backstory. Hearty congratulations to both of you on memories that will last a lifetime, especially after putting in the time and effort in, both dad and son.

Amazing back story!! Congrats to you and a GIANT congrats to your son on his perseverance and recovery and for an amazing Bull!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back