Norwood,Colorado and Yuma Arizona

cornfed

Any body familiar with these two towns. Concerned parent looking for info. Thanks.

Norwood is an awesome little town. Not much for creature features, but there is wholesome family life and values there. There is a big rodeo arena there and 4H is very active in the area. Lake Miramonte is close by and offers some awesome trout fishing and there is a very good amount of public land close by for hunting. Norwood is right in the middle of elk and mule deer country.

Norwood is a great area, like John said great hunting and fishing. Lone Cone, Lone Mesa, San Miguel River Canyon, Uncompadgre plateau are great areas. I worked down in Norwood/Dolores area in 98/99 and loved the area. You would be able to grow a garden/orchard if you had irrigation water. Only downside, probably not many jobs, just a retirement area mostly. Good luck in the move.

Norwood is a great place. A lot of residents commute to Telluride and work there. Economy is based on ranching, Telluride, and some gas/oil.

I go to Norwood to either hunt elk, deer, float the San Miguel River, or mine for gold.

These are the two towns that my soon to graduate (daughter) has had interviews with for teaching positions. She wants to get out of the midwest before something ties her down. Sounds like my choice would be Norwood but my vote does not count.

I've been to both many times. I would choose Norwood over Yuma anytime to live. With the new pot laws in CO, I did see some of the stoner influence in Norwood last year and it was kinda disappointing. Still better than Yuma and any big city.

Wow. Let me shed some more light on it. There are good and bad people in Norwood (like anywhere). She'll be teaching youth that are not from money. Many are salt of the earth hard working people. Some are kids of pot smoking meth heads who work hard to leverage the welfare system. The schools do well in athletics.

The town and schools are still trying to get over a disgusting sex crime that occurred on a bus about 2 years ago. It wasn't handled well by the schools and trust was lost.

There is a lack of entertainment options there. The nearest real hospital is Montrose. The nearest shopping mall is Grand Junction.

If she likes skiing, rafting, biking, atving, hunting, gold mining, fishing, climbing, etc, it's a great place to be!

Congrats to your daughter. Having options is a good thing.

Thanks for the replies! I thought 4 hours away at college was far but I got a feeling its going to get a lot farther away.

Yuma is hot in the summer and ugly as the devil's armpit. Quick trip to Mexico. I am sure she would be in a better teaching environment in Colorado. If she insists on Yuma take her down there for a few days.

There are many reasons that the snowbirders leave Yuma for the summer. Very often it is the hotspot for the nation come summertime.

The ecomony in Yuma is fed mostly by agriculture, military, and retirees. Summer is ugly as it is in most of Arizona. Winter, on the other hand, is great. That's why the population almost triples in the winter time. Lots of interesting things around Yuma and it has a surprising cultural agenda. Not far to Palm Springs or Phoenix.

Average summertime temps here in Yuma are 105-110* and then when you get a heat wave it can push into the 120*s Winters are beautiful. There is some good hunting down here for desert mulies. This buck was taken in the Yuma area this past season.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 200
Thanks again for the replies. I lobbied hard for Norwood Colorado but she ended up declining both jobs and decided to teach in Sweden for a while. I'm happy for her plus its nice to have a job before you graduate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back