Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Northern NY Adventures with Crossbowguy 2021

Are you finding any deer dead from EHD ? We have found over a dozen on the farms we hunt near the St. Lawrence River.

DB0F10ED-B774-4813-9F26-DBA48948F21C.jpegD2F57A7F-B8F8-434E-8C7D-4593C1294289.jpegMuzzleloader week turned out to be a very memorable week. I scored on Monday and got a nice doe to pay off my coworker for the use of his family land. Then Thursday my daughter got her very first deer, which was a nice young buck. Then my dad scored on Friday night. The weekend was the start of rifle season and went without seeing much.

Nice !! Always great to see the young ladies involved with hunting. She will always remember that day with you !!

My father got to have his bucket list trip last year and take a maine bull moose that most people never get a chance to do. We call it his bucket list hunt because he has had 5 heart attacks since he was 51 yrs old. Now at age 69 and can barely walk to the end of his driveway without having to stop to catch his breath, he managed to take his best whitetail buck in a while two nights ago.

He got there and set up a scent wick with doe in heat and at 4 pm this buck came in directly down wind from the wick with his nose in the air. He would take two three steps and stop and look. Then he would repeat until he hit dad’s shooting lane at 50 yards. One shot and the buck went straight down for the count.

Attachments

• FD10E552-5BC9-48AD-8065-A26F0C24280D.jpeg
    FD10E552-5BC9-48AD-8065-A26F0C24280D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • F5C07A2D-AC0D-4D37-9A2B-B8703953BFB8.jpeg
    F5C07A2D-AC0D-4D37-9A2B-B8703953BFB8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 59CD88A2-922C-431E-86AF-CF3BDFC63A5F.jpeg
    59CD88A2-922C-431E-86AF-CF3BDFC63A5F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • AFF1FEEE-3E33-464C-A194-86AEEA9F9BC5.jpeg
    AFF1FEEE-3E33-464C-A194-86AEEA9F9BC5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

We were getting to the best part of deer season when you guessed it- Covid-19 strikes and the whole family but my son come down with it and we are down and out for the best part of the rut and thanksgiving. I’m just starting to get my energy back but I have this stupid dry cough. I’m not going to complain because we have had an excellent season so far and I got to be with both of my kids as they took their very first deer and both bucks.

Im still going to be looking to fill both of my buck tags but if I don’t they will just be bigger next season and a year older and more of a challenge to get on them.

I hope you all are having great seasons, are happy, healthy! Have a great holiday season everyone!

Last weekend of deer season here in northern NY.
No luck over the last weekend, I'm guessing? I am surprised that you labeled it as the "last" weekend of deer season. Muzzleloader season is still open. Historically, my family bagged most of our deer on deep snow muzzleloader hunts.

The northern zone closes before the southern zone, so the last day in the northern zone was Dec. 12 and with that it wraps up my NY season. My family and friends had a really good year, and some awesome memories were made. Everyone have a great holiday season! When we do finally get some snow I will go out and do my post season scouting, make notes, then start doing some more habitat work to make next season even better!

The northern zone closes before the southern zone, so the last day in the northern zone was Dec. 12 and with that it wraps up my NY season. My family and friends had a really good year, and some awesome memories were made. Everyone have a great holiday season! When we do finally get some snow I will go out and do my post season scouting, make notes, then start doing some more habitat work to make next season even better!
Gotcha. Enjoy those beautiful hardwoods every chance you get!

Keep us updated on your post season scouting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back