Northern NM 2016

Big Tex

image.jpg
I closed out my hunt in northern NM on Thursday. With rain and thunderstorms off and on Monday through Wednesday the hunting was pretty slow and bugling action very weak, although I was able to get within biw range of bulls each day, I Just couldn't close the deal hunting solo, so I phoned a friend. I had a local outfitter connection, in Steve Rivera at Rimrock Outfitting, who had showed me around the unit and helped me develop a game plan before the hunt, he had a few days free at the end of the week and agreed to come out and call for me. Thursday morning started out much like the rest of the week, very quiet, no bugling and nothing responding to our calls. At about 6:50 Steve thought he smelled elk and put out a few soft mews that were imediately greeted by a bull close by. We quickly set with me rushing 40 yards out in front of Steve and within a few minutes of calling back and forth I see the bull coming at a dead sprint. I drew as he went behind an evergreen and Steve stopped him with a call as soon as the front half of his body cleared the trees. It all happened in a flash, as I zipped my arrow right behind the Bulls front shoulder at 12 yards. He ambled off another 40 yards and we watched as he laid down and took his last breath. Steve was a pleasure to hunt with in the field and talk with out of the field. If you ever have an interest in hunting northern NM look him up, he's an elk whisperer.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Congrats on the archery bull. Was it hard to get drawn in New Mexico? I bow hunt here in Central Texas and we have been kicking the idea around of switching to archery and heading up to the mountains in September to escape the Texas heat. I've hunted Colorado and Wyoming but have stayed away from New Mexico due to the price and lack of preference points to get drawn. We were calculating the trip costs and what we'd save in gas and time and are considering New Mexico because it is so much closer.

The price and lack of preference points are exactly why you should apply to New Mexico!!

Congrats Big Tex, looks like a great trip!!

As No Wiser states, there's no pref points in NM which is a benefit. Additionally they cycle through all three of your hunt selections before they move to the next person in line, so if you have an easier to draw unit as your third choice, your chances of getting drawn are reasonable. Having said that the odds for out of state non guided hunters for even the easier to draw units isn't great. This was the first elk tag ive drawn in NM in six years trying but I was successful in drawing the OIL ibex tag last year so I can't complain.

Nice bull and great story! Sounds like a great time; it's great to go back and re-live the hunt when they happen that fast, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back