PEAX Equipment

Northern New England 2016 Deer Recap

Matt/VT

The New England version of public land/DIY hunting is hunting large tracts of timber company land in Maine, NH, and VT. Typically these are day hunts, so you are out every day and on the road, then back to your truck every night. My preferred method is tracking the deer on snow, but when there isn't any snow on the ground, we still hunt.

For those not familiar with northern New England deer hunting, it probably isn't what you imagine the east being like. Maybe similar to the Adirondacks of NY, but with active logging. There are mountains here and while the altitude isn't excessive, the elevation gain/loss can be decent. There are also swamps where the woods can be tight- almost like the dark timber; not really spot and stalk territory. Animal densities are low, about 1-2 bucks per square mile harvested. Shots are close and quick, often the first time you see the buck you are immediately shooting at him, relying on the sign he leaves to give you an idea of his size. Wool clothes the norm. Walking mileage varies, but a 5-8 mile day is probably average.

2016 saw me hitting all three states with muzzleloader and rifle. Tags are all over the counter, buck only. We call this big woods hunting rather than backcountry, but I think of it as the same thing. The weights matter here as much or more than antler score. A 200 pound fully dressed weight buck is the 'trophy' benchmark for those of us who hunt in this style; I unfortunately wouldn't achieve that this year. Thankfully, the meat, adventures and stories of each day were of trophy quality for me.

First up was NH, where I was able to still hunt my way to a medium sized 152# 4x4 whitetail with my pump rifle in .30-06.

In Maine, the cameras revealed several large mountain bucks that we were able to chase but not catch up to.

Finally in VT, my home state, we have a late muzzleloader season. I was able to track and catch up to another 4x4 whitetail, 162#, on the second to last day, sneaking to within 50 yards of this bedded buck after trailing him for 2.5 hours across a couple miles.

The drag out to a nearby road took a couple hours, always a relief when the truck is in sight.

Thanks for reading.

A few other pictures of sights and sign.

This is a signpost rub- bucks will hit this over multiple years and sometimes generation, often giving the tree that bulbous bottom.

Some typical scenery

A mountain top pond

When tracking, the sign is important. Here, if you look closely above where he fed, you can see where his antler tips dipped into the snow. Along with track size, gait/stride characteristics, rubs and scrapes, this tells me that he has antlers and gives an indication of size.

Last edited:
Great hunt and photos! That first picture looks like textbook Maine deer hunting. It's not easy finding bucks in that thick timber. My friend got a 240 lb buck in the Searsmont area this year.
Congrats on a good hunt! Cool pump-action gun too.

Very cool! That would be a really fun hunt to do sometime. You should look into getting a solid pack for getting them out rather than dragging. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great season!

Very cool! That would be a really fun hunt to do sometime. You should look into getting a solid pack for getting them out rather than dragging. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great season!

Have to bring them out whole! A sled would have been nice, but it was a relatively easy drag.

Thanks for sharing that! Though I realize how low my chances for filling the tag(s) would be, hunting deer in that country is on my short list.

Great stuff Matt! Living in NYS, close to the ADK's, I know what you talk about. I looks like the buck feeding sign showed a really nice rack! Some years in the ADK's, a season passes with only one or two deer seen for as many as 10 or more hunting days. With retirement coming up, I hope to more than double that number!

Remington 760, 7600 and Model 6 pumps are quite common - al-la Larry Benoit style! But here in NYS, the Remington factory is only about 15 miles from where I live, so Remingtons (200th Anniversary this year!)are quite common and perhaps favored. I have a 7600 carbine in 30-06, but prefer my remington Model 7 FS in 7mm-08 as its a lot lighter.

Again, congratulations on your successes and great hunts!

Very cool. A few years ago I read a book about that style of hunting by the Benoit family. Neat to see someone doing it that way, down to the recommended style of gun. Congrats.

Great year ! Many years ago, while living back East, I read the Benoit book (still have it). & thought it was so cool!

Great recap, thanks for sharing.
I've had many of hunting trips up in the North Maine woods and it's such a great time.

You had a good year! I don't think there are many things as difficult to find as a mature big woods buck. They are a tough thing to find. You did well!

Nice write up and pictures. I've been thinking about doing a little hunting back there. My future in laws have a place in Windham, VT that borders some state land. Thought it might be a good way to get back to my happy place while visiting the east coast haha

Thanks for sharing! A big woods New England deer hunt with tracking snow has always been on my list of hunts I would like to try. Don't know when it will happen but that's the real deal for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back