Northern New England 2016 Deer Recap

Congratulations! Ive always wanted to do a north woods hunt Benoit style, looks difficult. Thank you for sharing.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Why do you have to bring them out whole?

Way to go Matt, but you didn't have to show the scenery pics, that really made me jealous. Its been a few years but I'll get back up there again. What scope setup do you like, power, objective etc.? I know traditionally its iron sights but I still like scopes.

If remember correctly they have to be whole to check in per state regs. I think moose can be quartered but maybe someone else can elaborate.

I think they are brought out whole so they can be accurately weighed for a field dressed deer. When I went to Maine, my friend told me he had shot a few deer over 200. I looked at him in disbelief! Thought, 200 cm maybe, then I realized they were talking about weight.

Don't exactly know the 'why' of it. There's a chunk of tradition in there, looking for dressed weight over 200#, but I also think there used to be a lot of shenanigans with parts and pieces, so it ends up being tight control. They also do a lot of biological checking at times at the registration station, so this allows for that to happen. This is how the Maine law is written:

Condition of Animal Presented for Registration

A person may not present a bear, deer, moose or wild turkey for registration unless it is presented in its entirety, except that the viscera and rib cage of the animal may be removed in a manner that still allows the determination of the sex of the animal.
Moose

A moose may be dismembered for ease of transportation, and the lower legs, head and hide of a moose may be removed. If the head of the moose is not brought to the registration station, a canine tooth or the lower jaw must be presented at the time of registration. Parts of a moose not presented for registration may not be placed where they are visible to a person traveling on a public or private way.

Way to go Matt, but you didn't have to show the scenery pics, that really made me jealous. Its been a few years but I'll get back up there again. What scope setup do you like, power, objective etc.? I know traditionally its iron sights but I still like scopes.

If remember correctly they have to be whole to check in per state regs. I think moose can be quartered but maybe someone else can elaborate.

I hunt with a 2-7x33mm scope, Redfield Revolution Accurange, mounted on a rail with warne quick release bases. Used to go peep sight only, but my eyes have started to go down hill. I have peep back ups and take the scope off if the weather is crappy.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dfair2798
Back