Yeti GOBOX Collection

Northern ID Moose in the Nez Perce/Clearwater

OIL Tag, don't make it any harder on yourself than you have to. Take the ATV. You don't have to use it, but nobody would fault you for hauling out a moose with an ATV.

I packed horses in the unit north of there. All the moose I saw (20 years ago granted) were along the riparian areas, so you don't need to get any higher than where you can glass down along the creek drainages if you find an opening. . Moose will travel the foot trails unless you spook 'em so you should see sign.

Nothing like hearing a bull moose grunting in the willows ahead of you and not being able to see him....

Looking forward to hear how this hunt goes. We saw 10+ cow moose and calves last week while elk hunting in the Panhandle. I am sure a few of the cows were repeats. One bull grunting last Wednesday, but only saw it through the brush. Definitely a lot of moose sign in the creek bottoms around here but all of these moose were up higher around 4k-4.5k ft in elevation. River and creek bottoms were 2,500-3,000. Not sure if I would want to moose hunt where we were elk hunting outside of the rut. Not many clearings close to the road, at least the rut gives a chance to call them in.

Still trying to decide on a ID moose unit to apply for in 2020.

Hey guys, sorry its taking me awhile to get back on here and share my hunt. But I have good excuses, been hunting a lot and have had a great season. 2 bucks, 1 moose, 1 pig and I process all my own meat and make euro mounts yada yada you know the deal...

As for the ID hunt it was a great adventure. Got into Orofino late one evening crashed at a hotel to be fresh and ready to take the 3+ hour drive to where I had mapped out as base camp. The country up there is of course beautiful, the clearwater river and all of its tributaries are something to see, I loved the remoteness of this country. The weather for 10 days I spent in there was perfect, a little rain and snow here and there and cold temps just what I like for hanging meat in the trees if I get lucky. The first few days we put in the miles hiking different trails most of which I wouldn't call a trail at all. This country is thick as others know already, like rain forest thick in some places. I loved it especially with a little snow on the ground a couple days it was fun to track moose. Lots of moose sign in general in certain areas just wasn't easy to glass them up or stumble onto them but I had a good time feeling like I was close on several occasions. I did do some calling but not the right way which would be to sit all day in the same spot and call/wait even 3-4 days in the same drainage. My legs just wanted to cover as much country as I could. By day 4 we haven't seen a single moose so I decided to cut one day short from bushwhacking and drive back to camp in the daylight to see if we come across one on the road. I haven't been a road hunter since I shot my first buck 10 years ago but moose just tend to feed along roads, and obviously the idea of not packing a moose out of the backcountry sounded so good. Within 20 minutes of driving the remote two-track dirt road sure enough a bull is crossing it as soon as we come around a bend. All I remember seeing is a black body with antlers large enough to be a decent bull but had no time to judge like I wanted too. This is do to a severe disorder that I get after 4 days of not seeing any game and it causes tunnel vision and an itchy pointer finger. I slam my truck into park and set out on foot while leaving my buddy behind. There is only 10-15 mins left of legal shooting light, I hurry around the bend on foot and start chasing him into the timber and couldn't see well enough to judge his antlers other than I new it was legal. I had a perfect shot through a stand of spruce behind his shoulders, got down on one knee 50 yards away and bang right through the lungs with a 6.5x284 Norma 120 Gr E-tip. He runs back to the road, crosses it, and expires about 50 yards off down in this very steep drainage. So we ended up tying a tow strap and rope to the hitch of my truck and drug him up and over onto the road for a much easier process. I was in shock because it happened so fast, now that I think of it probably the fastest "hunt" Ive ever done. Not disappointed, but kind of laughed at myself because I was self-convinced prior to hold out for 40" or better knowing there is always a possibly to draw again. But ignored that quickly as I put my hands on this amazing animal that I have respected for some time, and begin quartering him out realizing that I am going to be feeding my self, woman, and baby girl coming in the spring for quiet some time.

On the drive back to base camp late we came upon a wolf running down the main dirt road. I quickly sped up to about 35 mph and was about touching his tail, literally, but backed off the gas. Many people wish I had ran him over but I would rather get one with the rifle and obviously not do something as illegal and egregious as that. Anyways, we get back to camp hang the meat on the pole and celebrate. But only for a moment, as we had deer tags to try and fill. We take it easy and get organized, re supply, take showers in a truck stop and take a long drive to a different area I had found on OnX that had big burn up high. Honestly I was more excited to hunt mule deer than the moose just because thats the bug I have had for years. We pack in a little under 5 miles and set up a spike camp the evening before opening day Oct 10th. Turn up zero deer that evening from spike camp (we had a perfect vantage right out of the tent). Morning comes, stove is lit and burning nice and hot on this 15-20 degree morning. We make our coffee and breakfast relaxing knowing all we need to do is step out side and start glassing. I'm the first one out of the tent, walk about 20 ft away and throw up my glass right as daylight is breaking and here is a bachelor group of bucks feeding and one bedded 200 yards from our tent. A young forked horn has me pinned because I wasn't being quiet getting out of the tent. No worries though, he just stood there for 10 minutes as I am waiting for my buddy to get out of the tent and shoot one of these bucks. He hasn't filled a tag in awhile and never out of state, hes up for at least a decent mule deer. The bedded buck has a solid 3x3 frame with eye guards and some mass, he would later regret holding out being that early in the hunt. Fog rolls in so thick we couldn't see more than 40 yards for most of the day. We spotted more mulies a mile out, but nothing mature enough to go after at this point. Since we love deer hunting solo the next morning we split off in different directions. My buddy doesn't turn up any bucks on his day long solo hunt, while only 20 minutes into mine I have a young 3 pointer in my scope while laying prone at exactly 400 yards. I debate in my head for a solid 15 minutes as he stood there dead still contemplating on where he wanted to go next. The time was 7:30am and I've never seen a deer stay so still for so long. I talk myself out of taking such a young buck at this point when I have a full freezer back home and a moose hanging 40 miles away back at base camp. I turn the safety of my rifle back on and prop up on my knees to get a quick look down this spine in the middle of the drainage. Just as quickly as finding the first buck of the morning I pick out a deer's shoulders/body and front leg standing behind a lodge pole pine. Before looking for antlers through the branch I decide to range the deer first, exactly 400 yards again. Move my rifle and lay prone to look at the deer through my 16 power scope instead of getting out the spotter since it was close enough. Its a bigger bodied buck, I see his right side and could just tell he was mature with solid enough bases for my liking. I feel the buck fever setting in fast, heart rate through the roof. I keep my finger off the trigger turn the safety off and wait patiently until my heart rate lowers and my breath settles. It took about 30 -45 seconds, I felt comfortable waiting because I knew I was all alone hunting this drainage and he wasn't moving, just day dreaming like the other buck up the hill. I ease into the trigger right behind the shoulders and watch him go down just out of sight through my scope, I knew my shot was good. Excited to see what kind of buck I had just shot I shoulder my pack and rifle and take the 15 minute hike over to him. There he lays 10 ft from where I shot him, and he was a great 6x4 buck for me to get up there.

I quarter the buck out, taking every last piece of meat and the organs plus the skull/antlers back to spike camp. Its about 10:30 am, I wanted to pack this buck out that day to the truck. My buddy shows up early at spike camp because we had inreach communication so he knew I had a buck down, I get the deer completely boned out and all my gear packed up. This pack weighed every bit of 140 lbs. I made my buddy stay behind and refused his offer to help go out that night, I wanted for him to get a buck as he deserves it and here I am with a moose and a mule deer (I gave him part of the moose of course). After a long, heavy, grueling pack out cutting fresh bear and wolf tracks in the snow until 1 AM I make it back to the truck. Best two beers (pale ales) I have ever tasted in my life till that point. Waited till late in the next day for my buddy to get out, unfortunately empty handed but he had a good hunting experience. Took the long drive back to base camp and started the process to get back to civilization after he spent a couple days hunting near base camp.

My only regrets are not fishing the clearwater like I had planned. But one day I will return no doubt. Thanks a bunch to those who gave some insight to this area. As a side note (I wouldn't tell you I saw a bunch of elk anyways haha) but I will tell you I never saw a single elk. The predator devastation on elk you here about in certain parts of Idaho should be taken seriously. We cut dozens of different wolf tracks, two bears, and 1 mt lion all in the snow. Hope you all had success this season!
1 (2).jpg2.jpg3.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg12.png13.jpgpack.pngriver.jpg

Great pictures. That's a great looking buck! Congratulations on the hunt.

Stand clearing fires are what made the Lolo elk herd. When we have another one of those, you'll see the elk rebound.

Great hunt that is a nice moose and a great muley. That muley is close to a once in a lifetime muley on a OIL bull moose tag. Congratulations and you ll have meat for the next three years

Serious one-two punch on your hunting adventure dance card. My knees ache just a bit after hearing 140 lbs packed out.

Congratulations

Thought I would add for those interested. Moose was 33” wide and buck was lab aged at 4.5 years old. I really loved my encounters with IDFG. First at a game stop on the highway and the biologist for meeting me at the Nampa office on her day off so I could check in the moose head/samples I took. The moose was clean of parasites and seemed really healthy. I should get the rest of the results soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back