Northern ID Moose in the Nez Perce/Clearwater

lastlight

Ill be hunting moose for the first time this fall in Northern ID hunt area ten dash three along the MT boarder. I had thought I had it in a different area with abundant private logging roads but got my tag in the mail yesterday and to my surprise this will be a more difficult and remote hunt. I look forward to a challenge and have plenty of built up tears and blood to shed :)

If anyone would be so kind to PM me any kind of useful information or advice I would be very grateful. I am a meat hunter first and foremost, big antlers are nice, however. I have all the right gear and experience for any type of conditions - backpack tipi/stove set up or base camp at my truck. So I am just looking for some basic knowledge in the area like,

1) Should I shoot the first bull I see?
2) I've never wanted to pay a horse packer to haul out my meat but Ive been advised to do so on this hunt. Spoilage or theft by grizzly would ruin my year.. But I will have my buddy along who is able and willing to pack out meat and help with the hunt. Thoughts?
3) I am open to any two consecutive weeks of hunting and right now planning on the first two weeks of October to catch some rut behavior. Would you plan for the same? Or later when snow is on the ground?
4) There are some ridges, areas, burn spots, etc I would like to run by people but feel it should be kept to PM.
5) We will def do our part and purchase wolf tags, possibly bear as well to help manage the predators.
6) Id rather not haul an ATV out there especially since there doesn't seem to be many roads, but I will have 4x4 truck. Plus I prefer the quads below my belt...Is this a wise call?
7) Other things I should be considering?

If folks want I will provide a full story/pics whether I am successful or not, unless a griz eats me in which case you'll have to ask him or her....Thanks Hnttalkers, cheers to the upcoming season.

1) I would if you want to fill the tag. Very low densities, but if you're set on killing a giant it's not a bad idea to hold out and be okay with eating the tag. Some giants do occasionally come out of there.

2) Grizzlies aren't a concern in there, but black bears and spoilage definitely are. A packer or even an outfitter would be money well invested.

3) The first two weeks of October are what I would choose. That's peak rut, and the weather should be cooled down by then also. Learn how to call. Calling can be a huge benefit in that area.

5) Definitely buy a wolf tag or three. A bear tag wouldnt be a bad idea, but just remember you've got meat care to deal with then that'll take away moose hunting time. (If you choose to keep the meat.) You could also fill a deer tag pretty easily while you're in there if that's of interest.

6) I need to double check the unit boundaries, but an atv might actually be a huge benefit in that unit.

7) It's going to be a challenging hunt, but that's some of the coolest country in the lower 48. Go in to it with low expectations and enjoy the time in some incredible country, and just remember that there's a reason those tags are so easy to draw.

My very first backpacking trip was in your moose area. At one time it was a highly sought tag and I know a few guys who got moose there - 30 years ago. It is beautiful country.

It will likely be a much harder hunt than 10A-4 but the harvest statistics still look good.

I will pm you.

Thanks Randy... I thought for sure there would be grizzlies in there or at least have a chance at seeing one, don't remember where I read that. Getting a deer tag and staying past the opener of Oct 10th is def on our radar, we would be happy with either whitetail or mulie.

I agree with Randy11 that grizzlies shouldn’t be a concern, but there is a possibility of an encounter.

A black bear hunter killed a grizzly in the Kelly Creek area in 2007. From what I read, it sounds like he thought it was a black bear.

Also, the hunting regulations caution hunters that unit 10 is one of the areas that a grizzly encounter could occur.

There is a very small possibility of encountering one, but extremely unlikely. Definitely not something worth worrying about.

They occasionally cross through, but I feel very confident in saying there's not an established population.

Last edited:
Peak rut would be tad earlier that first two weeks of October I would think. Yes, listening to audio of moose calling techniques would be good idea. Bulls respond well to cow calls but you can also use a shoulder blade and rake bushes and grunt pretending to be a rival bull. I've gotten moose out of some pretty tough locations here in Ontario. You can quarter a moose or you could debone in the field. onX mapping should help you make a plan of attack. Good luck!

I've not spent a lot of time in that country looking for moose - but I think your season timing idea (early October) is probably best. I usually prefer hunting moose later in the year with snow on the ground, but in this unit I would be concerned about lack of access if the snow hit hard.

The only other useful tip I might have...don't forget your flyrod...Sept/Oct can be absolutely spectacular fishing on N.F. Clearwater and Kelly Cr. if you need a little break from the hunting.

I was able to check the unit boundaries, and one of the ATV trails I was thinking of is in your unit. At one point you could ride to Fish Lake on the Montana border. That's good moose habitat. Goose lake is also, and I thought I remembered there being an ATV trail in there also, but I'm not seeing it on Google Earth.

As far as that country goes, you actually got pretty lucky for vehicle access. Normally that's a bad thing, but with moose it really is a benefit.

I've not spent a lot of time in that country looking for moose - but I think your season timing idea (early October) is probably best. I usually prefer hunting moose later in the year with snow on the ground, but in this unit I would be concerned about lack of access if the snow hit hard.

The only other useful tip I might have...don't forget your flyrod...Sept/Oct can be absolutely spectacular fishing on N.F. Clearwater and Kelly Cr. if you need a little break from the hunting.

Might have to bring the Fly Rod!

I was able to check the unit boundaries, and one of the ATV trails I was thinking of is in your unit. At one point you could ride to Fish Lake on the Montana border. That's good moose habitat. Goose lake is also, and I thought I remembered there being an ATV trail in there also, but I'm not seeing it on Google Earth.

As far as that country goes, you actually got pretty lucky for vehicle access. Normally that's a bad thing, but with moose it really is a benefit.

Thanks, I was trying to figure out if where FS road 250 hits MT if you could drive or ATV on that Idaho Centennial Trail that heads south towards Goose and Fish Lake...It sure does look like an ATV trail on google earth, but OnX shows it as a hiking trail.

Last edited:
ATV would travel the roads in the area much faster than a pickup, but that decision is completely up to you. Some really neat country. I rode a horse through a good chunk of it last summer. I didn't see any moose but did see tracks and plenty of "moosey" looking country. Not all maps are created the same with regards to trails. On our horse trip last summer we were using three different maps. There was one trail we really wanted to take that was on two of the maps and not on the third. Despite hard searching we never found that trail and believe it is now abandoned and probably next to impossible to find.

Do moose generally stay in the same area in which you spot them like deer will do? Or, because of the time of year during the rut will the bulls be on the move every day and you may not see them in the same area the next day?

Well guys its getting down to the wire for my upcoming moose hunt. I got my first CA deer tag filled and hoping to do my second next weekend in the Sierras then head out Oct 3rd for ID. I as ready as I will ever be mentally and physically for the ruggedness of the country in this unit.

Some things have changed since my first post. I have realized that I want to take a mature bull or eat the tag, mainly since its a OIL tag and I am moving to ID in a couple years and I could always put in again. Why shoot a young bull? I want a solid representation of a Shiras seeing as it may very well be the only Shiras I will ever take plus I would guess it would be better for the population.

I talked to a couple different Forest Service representatives and they pretty much said a lot of the country I am looking to get into isnt maintained trail or road wise. Thats fine, more of an adventure. I am rethinking that I might want to take my ATV to access some "trails" that I want to hike in and spike camp from.

If anyone else has any insight that would be great. Cant wait to tell the story when I get back!

What unit? I’ve seen bull moose in 8a.

Attachments

• 7E0B1411-BD0C-46A9-8E70-51D326AE5A5E.jpeg
    7E0B1411-BD0C-46A9-8E70-51D326AE5A5E.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 87
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones