Northeast Wyoming ?

Pick a unit. Get On X and compare it to a county road map. Drop a pin at point where public road hits BLM or state property.
If you draw go investigate those spots. You’ll figure out pretty quick what antelope prefer. It’s not hard at all. Unless you’re picky or can’t shoot, you’ll kill an antelope. The biggest problem is there will be lots of other people. I don’t get the secret handshake mentality. We all were new at some point. There aren’t any honeyholes anymore technology has seen to that.

You can probably file this under “any help,” but here goes.

I’ve not hunted that unit, but I have hunted two “similar units.” Per OnX and the Hunt Planner, the public does not have motorized vehicular access to that parcel - id verify via the county GIS and warden. I would expect to have several vehicles parked at that access point opening day and guys walking in on that piece just about every day thereafter for the first couple of weeks. I’m assuming that piece actually holds some antelope.

There is enough room to out walk just about all of the guys walking to hunt the public. However, there will still be a fair amount of traffic on that public land as guys will have vehicle access through the adjacent private property. I’d bring a bike and hope that two track lends itself to that type of travel. As others have said, I would expect to go for the hunt and not the kill. Work hard and you’ll have fun.

If I were going to hunt that unit, I’d plan a five day trip with two or three days scouting prior to the opener and two or three days hunting thereafter. I’d be sitting in the best spot I found scouting and wait for the the sun to come up opening morning and shoot the first decent buck I saw. If you’ve never hunted the West, I’d go in 2020 not 2021. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all the input and advice. I did purchase an OnX subscription I believe it will be well worth the price really looking forward to this trip. Rifle build should be done in a couple weeks and I can get started on break in and load development

If you haven't seen this yet, try it out. Shows legal roads

That does not show all legal roads, read the disclaimer.
You need to talk with the county Road and Bridge Superintendent, via email works well for most of them. OnX can and will be wrong in some spots as well.

Verify Wyomings waterway laws, but there looks to be a couple of good public land spots with creeks crossing them. If you got a decent enough kayak, and if it's legal, you could float in, bag your antelope, quarter it and pack it out on the 'yak. Just a suggestion.

Verify Wyomings waterway laws, but there looks to be a couple of good public land spots with creeks crossing them. If you got a decent enough kayak, and if it's legal, you could float in, bag your antelope, quarter it and pack it out on the 'yak. Just a suggestion.
I’ve had that thought two of the three of us kayak a fair bit

Don’t hold me too this but I have covered just about all the public land in Unit 1. There are some creeks but would be challenging to get a kayak through them. You would have had to drag them this past October. I could have missed something but don’t think so. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Don’t hold me too this but I have covered just about all the public land in Unit 1. There are some creeks but would be challenging to get a kayak through them. You would have had to drag them this past October. I could have missed something but don’t think so. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

I agree....and most areas with creeks do not have many if any goats

No idea who Cushman is just asking for a general answer of what to expect/look for in that area. Not even close to asking for gps location as the area I asked about is fairly large. Thanks anyway though

Figure out who Cushman is, tell me a specific fact about him, and I'll maybe tell you what I know...

I suppose there are units worse than unit 1 but not by much. I don't think I'd give unit 1 a rating higher than 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back