Northeast Wyoming ?

My son and I have enough points to draw a good unit either this year or next depending on the elk draw. Wondering
if anyone has a ball park figure on cost of hunting private in the north east corner? Would like to hunt there when our
points are gone in future.

There is a good reason the tags go under subscribed. Do some research on the area and you will see the challenges you will face on the limited public ground. It can be done, but most likely you will not have someone take you by the hand and walk you thru it. I have hunted both 1 and 2 on and off for the last 30 years. It can be done but you will not be alone....expect company and at times a lot of it. No free lunches in 1 or 2

My son and I have enough points to draw a good unit either this year or next depending on the elk draw. Wondering
if anyone has a ball park figure on cost of hunting private in the north east corner? Would like to hunt there when our
points are gone in future.
It is hard to figure out who even owns land in the northeast corner. Most is held in trusts. You would probably need to talk to an outfitter.

On units that are a guaranteed draw, there are no honey holes. Using onX, find 5-10 locations you think might hold antelope. On day 1, drive to all those locations. You'll end up dropping 1/2-3/4 of them from future consideration. Than spend the rest of your hunting days driving between your remaining areas. The best you can hope for is that there is a herd of pronghorn passing through the public land at the same time you are there. Than you make a move on them.

Not the most idealized version of a pronghorn hunt but a methodology that has allowed us to kill bucks on 0-1 point units for 3 years in a row. This photos below are of the NE Wyoming unit we drew last year on less than 1 point each. On chunks of land where we hadn't seen pronghorn at all over the previous 2 days, but on these days they just happened to be there.

Best of luck.

4.JPG1.JPG

There is a good reason the tags go under subscribed. Do some research on the area and you will see the challenges you will face on the limited public ground. It can be done, but most likely you will not have someone take you by the hand and walk you thru it. I have hunted both 1 and 2 on and off for the last 30 years. It can be done but you will not be alone....expect company and at times a lot of it. No free lunches in 1 or 2
Not looking for a free lunch and I don’t need anyone to hold my hand or walk me through it.

On units that are a guaranteed draw, there are no honey holes. Using onX, find 5-10 locations you think might hold antelope. On day 1, drive to all those locations. You'll end up dropping 1/2-3/4 of them from future consideration. Than spend the rest of your hunting days driving between your remaining areas. The best you can hope for is that there is a herd of pronghorn passing through the public land at the same time you are there. Than you make a move on them.

Not the most idealized version of a pronghorn hunt but a methodology that has allowed us to kill bucks on 0-1 point units for 3 years in a row. This photos below are of the NE Wyoming unit we drew last year on less than 1 point each. On chunks of land where we hadn't seen pronghorn at all over the previous 2 days, but on these days they just happened to be there.

Best of luck.

View attachment 126590View attachment 126591
Thank you that is the kind on information I was looking for, much appreciated.

If you just want to kill a buck, even if it's an 8 incher, you can pretty much do that in any unit. Even the ones that suck. If you want to have a fun hunt though where you aren't constantly battling other hunters on limited amounts of public land and would like to be able to look over a good number of bucks on public land, then most of the 0 point units aren't worth it. Especially in the regular draw.

Something to keep in mind... I would guess 80% of the pronghorn hunters out there could have just as easily killed their buck wearing flip flops and gym shorts.

Find spots that public hunters can only access on foot and you will be fine... probably won't be a big buck like @Flatrock said, but I've hunted WY 3 times all in 0pt units and pretty much never saw another hunter.

Build points and wait 3 or 4 years hunt public if you dont know anybody in that part of country your screwed sorry.

Then don’t . . . .

How much more specific does one have to get to be asking for a honey hole? Exact GPS coordinate?

This post is so cliche I feel like Cushman is just trolling us.

I did get pulled over in Douglas for a headlight out and speeding, and the cop (a fellow Iraq vet) let me go after a lot of fast talking. So, NE Wyoming isn't all that bad ;)

Dude that’s total bs
I have to respectily disagree with you a lot of private not trying to discourouge anyone i have deer hunted there for 20 years access is tough a lot of outfitters public gets pounded hard. Had a bad winter last year also just my 2 cents.

Best of luck.

View attachment 126590View attachment 126591
Yep, thats pretty accurate

I have to respectily disagree with you a lot of private not trying to discourouge anyone i have deer hunted there for 20 years access is tough a lot of outfitters public gets pounded hard. Had a bad winter last year also just my 2 cents.

Killing “a” pronghorn is easy, look at success rates they are typically 85-100% for a 2 day trip hunting in the NE “very little public land” units is at most as difficult as elk hunting which typically has success rates of 10-30% for 6 days of hunting... a crap ton of people elk hunt elk every year.

Killing “a” pronghorn is easy, look at success rates they are typically 85-100% for a 2 day trip hunting in the NE “very little public land” units is at most as difficult as elk hunting which typically has success rates of 10-30% for 6 days of hunting... a crap ton of people elk hunt elk every year.
sorry dont know what kind of goat looking for

Back