PEAX Equipment

North Woods Grouse - Both Barrels & a Bear Slider

Hey Brent, of the 3 guns that accompanied you on this trip, which would paddle with the best balance? :oops:

Although I will have to admit the almost imperceptible but certainly present coolness of these old doubles, I am a fan of finely balanced autos. I do like the oldness of historic guns and one of my goals in life is to own a gun of historic relevance (not Custer's personal gun type of relevance, but maybe one that was in some lesser known battle). It is really cool to see them in use today, shooting grouse, just like they were over 100 years ago.

Love all of this. My old stomping grounds up there. I do my grouse hunting a little further west now, but given this is supposedly a down year, there has certainly been no shortage of birds.

I would say if we are really talking about a northern MN purist grouse gun, someone should have been lugging around a Franchi 48al in 20 or 28bore....

Hey Brent, of the 3 guns that accompanied you on this trip, which would paddle with the best balance? :oops:

Although I will have to admit the almost imperceptible but certainly present coolness of these old doubles, I am a fan of finely balanced autos. I do like the oldness of historic guns and one of my goals in life is to own a gun of historic relevance (not Custer's personal gun type of relevance, but maybe one that was in some lesser known battle). It is really cool to see them in use today, shooting grouse, just like they were over 100 years ago.

There is no such thing as a finally balanced auto. Much less one that looks good. They don't even make decent tomato stakes.

But if it works for you, by all means, feel free to lug one around.

Well, should you ever lower yourself to use an auto, you could hang some tire weights or a small cantaloupe off the barrel to give it that double-like feel!

Fun fact: That Cashmore of Brent's weighs about a pound less than any auto in the same gauge. My little Greifelt weighs in at 6.5 pounds. I think the Cashmore is lighter than that but isn't whippy at all.

A well made double is a far different gun than a Turkish or cheap Italian like the Franchi (both solid options for a budget minded double gun fan), it's not the boat anchor that a new Stevens or other Soviet guns are either.

But some folks like bro-country, while others prefer Patsy, Willie & Hank Sr. ;)

Absolutely true Ben, I was just giving a little good natured teasing. I don't care what people shoot in the slightest, but do enjoy a little banter. Tomato stakes, that is a good one! I will not tell that to the wife or she might actually try it!

Franchi 48al 28ga....5.4lbs. Just sayin...

I generally carry either Fausti Stefano SxS or Beretta O/U, both 20s, when chasing grouse. That said I spent quite a few years running around chasing them in college, and saw a lot of those Franchis being carried, so I am dying to get my hands on one in 28.

Franchi 48al 28ga....5.4lbs. Just sayin...

I generally carry either Fausti Stefano SxS or Beretta O/U, both 20s, when chasing grouse. That said I spent quite a few years running around chasing them in college, and saw a lot of those Franchis being carried, so I am dying to get my hands on one in 28.

5.3 lbs. If you must have a 28 gauge. And you would look SO much better carrying it. http://www.hallowellco.com/w__c_scott 28ga.html

And then, for those that really want light, coming it at less than 4.2# http://www.hallowellco.com/Turner 410 boxlock.html

Frankly, I think a 12 gauge is rather a minimum when blowing trees out of the way is necessary. :)

Oh you Bastage!!! I do NOT need a double gun fetish. Stop it! My 12 gauge Browning BPS is all I need. I swear!
After several contemplative hours of coaching from @BrentD I now find myself actively shopping for a 6lb English double. You are warned - time with @BrentD does NOT reduce the cost or number of guns in one's safe.

Do Ben and Brent wear those British knickers when they tote the doubles too? Maybe a derby hat? No photo is necessary!

The colors look fantastic even though the leaves make it a might harder to connect on grouse. Fair trade off. There is something about the site and smell of a north woods two-track during the fall.

I am on the edge of ruffed habitat, but did shoot a dandy a few years back. I might have to put a little effort into it this year after this thread!

Oh you Bastage!!! I do NOT need a double gun fetish. Stop it! My 12 gauge Browning BPS is all I need. I swear!
@Dan O all you NEED is a Tyson's Chicken from the grocery store. It's what you WANT that matters. Strangely, Montana is nearly drowning in a plethora of beautiful double guns. You should find something easily. Let me help.

Besides Hallowells in Livingston, there is Hill Rod and Gun in Boseman. Those two should get you warmed up, at least.

God only knows what is in Missoula and Billings, but move fast before @VikingsGuy and @wllm1313 cut you off.

This morning, I got the action back for my Greener. My best of all shotguns. She is back in one piece, fully assembled and awaiting the Pheasant Opener in 2 weeks and 2 days (but who is counting?). Life is now fully back to normal, and we can return to this again.
Gus Greener Pheasant 20191208.jpg
vQmDjsS.jpg

@Dan O all you NEED is a Tyson's Chicken from the grocery store. It's what you WANT that matters. Strangely, Montana is nearly drowning in a plethora of beautiful double guns. You should find something easily. Let me help.

Besides Hallowells in Livingston, there is Hill Rod and Gun in Boseman. Those two should get you warmed up, at least.

God only knows what is in Missoula and Billings, but move fast before @VikingsGuy and @wllm1313 cut you off.

This morning, I got the action back for my Greener. My best of all shotguns. She is back in one piece, fully assembled and awaiting the Pheasant Opener in 2 weeks and 2 days (but who is counting?). Life is now fully back to normal, and we can return to this again.
View attachment 196855
vQmDjsS.jpg
Beautiful iron, but that photogenic Golden is something else...

View attachment 196855
vQmDjsS.jpg
Great pictures the Golden steals the show ;) I had a double many years ago but it was a basic off brand of some sort. Couldn't hit much with it so I sold it. Then later on I bought a Browning Citori 12 ga. 26 inch tubes with the invector choke's. Love this one it does great for skeet and in the field. It's my favorite. It just seems to point so naturally I don't think I could find anything to fit me better. But I'll keep an eye out just in case. Never say never.

So this took way longer than we planned but things never slowed down for us this winter. Mud season is as good a time as any to do taxidermy projects I suppose. @HuntingHusband humored me and did the woodwork. I finally got it put together today. Happy with the way it turned out. Nice reminder of a great trip!

CFA621C6-E857-4B04-B92A-744DA515E6C9.jpeg

So this took way longer than we planned but things never slowed down for us this winter. Mud season is as good a time as any to do taxidermy projects I suppose. @HuntingHusband humored me and did the woodwork. I finally got it put together today. Happy with the way it turned out. Nice reminder of a great trip!
Looks fantastic. Y'all have inspired me to look into taking the pup to the northwoods

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back