North Idaho diehard looking for Archery partner- Elk 2021

Grepgaston

Hi All- I’m looking for a serious archer to join me for September in the mountains of North Idaho. I’m looking for a very serious experienced woods wise fella who is ready to bow hike up to 100s of miles, pack 100lb packs uphill for 2500 vertical feet, sleep on the ground if necessary, and work their tail off to chase Bugling Bulls wherever they are! Knowing your way around Calls/diaphragms/Bugle tubes is a must. I’m not a pro caller but ok enough. We will alternate days as shooter and caller. I’m being as forthright as I can as I’m looking for a partner so that we BOTH may be safer, increase our calling odds, share comradery,and help each other seal the deal so we can pack meat for miles and miles! I Do Not Drink, Smoke, or do Dope. I’ve already invested 45days into new Elk areas Spring bear hunting and plan on another 15 plus scouting days before season. My schedule is Aug 13-18, 20-25, 27-29 scouting. Then Hunt Aug 30- Sept 6th, to town to resupply and make 2 phone calls the morning of 7th, back to mountain by afternoon same day, then on the hill until the 22nd. Gotta be home for 23rd, then back on 24th to close out Sept. in the woods. IF I/we kill early I/we can hunt deer. I purchased my tags already BUT am waiting to commit to the Panhandle in case the woods get shut down by fire. If so, I’m ready to go explore elsewhere in another Elk zone but will be going in blind. Regardless, IF you’re a serious bow guy whose not afraid to work Super hard, then the company and teamwork would be great!! My idea of a good time is hiking thousands of vertical feet over miles of steep nasty brush infested terrain looking for the enigmatic Bull Elk. Trophy antlers are and would be awesome, BUT I can’t eat horns so I will kill opportunistically. I prefer a good clear shot, clean kill, and the right experience over anything else. Shoot me a response if you’re down to lose 20lbs, walk endless miles, climb some “cliffs”, possibly torture yourself, and you view all of this as your favorite thing you’ll do all year! It’s only 34 days til Elk killing time!

Hi All- I’m looking for a serious archer to join me for September in the mountains of North Idaho. I’m looking for a very serious experienced woods wise fella who is ready to bow hike up to 100s of miles, pack 100lb packs uphill for 2500 vertical feet, sleep on the ground if necessary, and work their tail off to chase Bugling Bulls wherever they are! Knowing your way around Calls/diaphragms/Bugle tubes is a must. I’m not a pro caller but ok enough. We will alternate days as shooter and caller. I’m being as forthright as I can as I’m looking for a partner so that we BOTH may be safer, increase our calling odds, share comradery,and help each other seal the deal so we can pack meat for miles and miles! I Do Not Drink, Smoke, or do Dope. I’ve already invested 45days into new Elk areas Spring bear hunting and plan on another 15 plus scouting days before season. My schedule is Aug 13-18, 20-25, 27-29 scouting. Then Hunt Aug 30- Sept 6th, to town to resupply and make 2 phone calls the morning of 7th, back to mountain by afternoon same day, then on the hill until the 22nd. Gotta be home for 23rd, then back on 24th to close out Sept. in the woods. IF I/we kill early I/we can hunt deer. I purchased my tags already BUT am waiting to commit to the Panhandle in case the woods get shut down by fire. If so, I’m ready to go explore elsewhere in another Elk zone but will be going in blind. Regardless, IF you’re a serious bow guy whose not afraid to work Super hard, then the company and teamwork would be great!! My idea of a good time is hiking thousands of vertical feet over miles of steep nasty brush infested terrain looking for the enigmatic Bull Elk. Trophy antlers are and would be awesome, BUT I can’t eat horns so I will kill opportunistically. I prefer a good clear shot, clean kill, and the right experience over anything else. Shoot me a response if you’re down to lose 20lbs, walk endless miles, climb some “cliffs”, possibly torture yourself, and you view all of this as your favorite thing you’ll do all year! It’s only 34 days til Elk killing time!

Well, I was excited to see 9 replies. Not so much after reading them. I guess this is why I hunt solo. Perhaps my honesty and expectations are a bit too high for most. I go hunting to hunt, and harvest, and enjoy the effort I put out. Maybe someone who takes their hunting seriously will see this, at least that was my hope. Instead of typical negative Monday morning quarterbacks. Oh well, worth a try. If someone is interested in hunting rather than heckling please respond. You Others can keep your 1 in 10 years success rate at best while I eat Elk steak! Obviously I don’t want to meet up with someone whose idea of hunting is driving around in their truck drinking beer and telling stories about the 1 decent deer they killed 20 years ago. I’d rather go hunt super hard and be proud of the effort I put in. So again, if anyone who can hunt wants to team up to increase safety, make packing easier, and enjoy hunting hard that would be great!

At 62 I’m likely NOT your guy (in fact I’m exhausted just reading your post) but best of luck to you, good country that way!
Thank you for your honest response and best wishes toward luck. I appreciate that. I also wish you success and a great season. Thankfully there’s at least one guy out there that can respect trying ones best.

Invited you, didn’t ask to join you.
I can see why you are getting defensive but rest assured that was sarcasm, everyone is just busting your prunes. I really like your effort level. But you take yourself too serious for me to consider your offer.
My wife says the way guys always giving each other a hard time is a little much. Perhaps she's right. Just remember to have fun on your hunts.

P.s. I have harvested an Idaho elk I think 18 of the last 19 years. Most general archery bulls but a few muzzleloader and rifle bulls and a couple cows.

Last edited:
Well, I was excited to see 9 replies. Not so much after reading them.
Hey Greg, welcome to the forum. I've been around here for awhile now but don't post that often. Just so you're aware you got about 5% of the typical ball busting and sarcasm associated with newer posts. Finding a partner is tough and finding the right partner is extremely tough. I, as well dig the enthusiasm for the work and suffer aspect of the elk hunt. You're setting the bar high which may or may not work out, do us all a favor and keep posting. If you do find a HT member to go with you this has the potential of world class reality forum content. High stakes high reward!

Don't take the razzing personally, just some general poking fun. Its a personal rule of mine not to take comments too seriously on the internet. Maybe I should sometimes.

I hunt the Panhandle and have a couple different people I hunt with depending on what we have going on. Also do a lot of solo hunting. But always open to discussing things with an other hunter. I will send you a PM, also to see if you know of any big moose where I have my moose tag :)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back