2023/2024 update !!! Norris Road Elk Hunt

The Hedgehog

Worthy of it's own thread. Every time I've driven by this year, and in recent years, there's orange clad dude sitting in trucks and laying in wait for a swarm to step into one of the small pieces of state that touches the road. When it happens, engines rev, a race ensues, trucks are abandoned idling, doors open, as guys bail out to light them up.

Or, guys on the neighboring properties shoot them up and run them through like what happened on this day. Filmed by a good fiend who was on the way home from taking his son hunting elsewhere.

Thoughts? :D

Keep it civil gents. This could be somebody's life-long dream of taking an elk on the mountain with family and friends, and filling their freezers. I'd hate for there to be hurt feelings about this process.

Reduced success on public, loss of access for whatever reason, turning critters into commodities and smaller & smaller footprints for hunting the front country, and we're surprised this shit happens?

Just like around Canyon Ferry - loss of traditional private land access and the continued difficulty of the majority of hunters tagging out causes panic & a desire to just kill something.

Desperation does strange things to people.

I suspect if you lace up your boots and go in deep, you’d have a chance at a 30” tall there. You may have to grind it out, learn the features like the back of your hand, and go full send. Thrilling. And maybe a good way to get your kids into hunting.
Nah... wouldn't want to end up in a pickle.

Worthy of it's own thread. Every time I've driven by this year, and in recent years, there's orange clad dude sitting in trucks and laying in wait for a swarm to step into one of the small pieces of state that touches the road. When it happens, engines rev, a race ensues, trucks are abandoned idling, doors open, as guys bail out to light them up.

Or, guys on the neighboring properties shoot them up and run them through like what happened on this day. Filmed by a good fiend who was on the way home from taking his son hunting elsewhere.

Thoughts? :D

Keep it civil gents. This could be somebody's life-long dream of taking an elk on the mountain with family and friends, and filling their freezers. I'd hate for there to be hurt feelings about this process.

What I don't understand is why is there only 1 dead elk there? I mean those dang things were still on public for most of the video! Ditch the truck and get to shooting!

Likely hungry bowhunters picking up a rifle for the first time.
Go spend a day or two at a check station during rifle season and take a look at some of the fine shot placement you will see. I looked at a deer Monday; one shot took out a back leg at the knee, one square in the guts and a beautiful finisher right at the back of the jaw

Oddly enough, I was driving back from Ennis that day and drove by that state section as those guys were processing their elk. I had always wondered if someone was patient enough to wait for elk here. I guess so

I suspect if you lace up your boots and go in deep, you’d have a chance at a 30” tall there. You may have to grind it out, learn the features like the back of your hand, and go full send. Thrilling. And maybe a good way to get your kids into hunting.
If you don't use a hot tipi set-up along the way you have zero chance of success though.

I witnessed something similar south of ennis on the state section off the highway. I had to stay and watch, like a bad train wreck,I just couldn’t look away as I watched in horror as close to a dozen hunters began surrounding the herd. How someone didn’t get shot is beside me as they certainly weren’t hitting the elk at least for a while. By the end of the barrage of shooting a small rag horn was injured and laying head up while 15 or so cows and the bigger bull back leg flopping and all made it to the private. Who knows how many cows took a hit. It was one of the sickest/saddest things I’ve seen when it comes to hunting. My kid asked why I didn’t get out and shoot. I explained to him that that’s not the hunting to be associated with and I hope he’ll head my advice and never par take in a scene like that. It’s crazy what people will do to get an elk.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back