MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Norma Whitetail

CowboyLeroy

Has anybody shot any of it? I broke down and bought some for the old 708 and it looks like some pretty good stuff.

Norma is some of the best brass there is. The factory ammo my dad has shot is usually loaded toward the hot side, and because Norma brass is a little soft, using their factory ammo to obtain brass usually results in primer pockets that are a little on the loose side.

Norma is some of the best brass there is. The factory ammo my dad has shot is usually loaded toward the hot side, and because Norma brass is a little soft, using their factory ammo to obtain brass usually results in primer pockets that are a little on the loose side.
That's interesting. I'm planning on getting into reloading eventually and was thinking that could be a good way to get brass

Something about brass that has occurred to me over the year's is the value of brass is greatly over played for the average shooter. The average guy isn't looking to shoot .020" groups at 100yds nor is he looking to use the same brass over five or six time's. It is the fanatic that does those things. I strongly suspect that the averave guy doesn't know for sure how many loading he get's out of different makes af brass other than to say it last well or not!

Early on early 1970's I tried Norma brass as even back then it was praised. No idea why I got it for loading but seem to recall it was heavier than Remington for no other reason than the same load in Norma brass as in Remington appeared to give higher pressure. And even that was determined by the flatness of primer's, not a decent machine to tell pressure. Much as I liked Norma brass, I really did, there was a huge draw back to it. Really really hard to find anywhere and expensive.

I would suspect that Norma loaded ammunition will work as well as the user knows how to use it, just like any other ammo!

Every gun will produce a little different pressure. You already have the ammo. If the primers seem to seat firmly, then you now have excellent brass, and might be interested in buying more. Also, if the pockets survive the first shot, they will handle more pressure after that. The brass hardens with each firing to some extent. A hot load that shows no pressure signs in a once or twice fired case may show substantial pressure signs a virgin case, especially with something soft like, Federal, Hornady or Norma.

I usually do not use Norma in any rifle I plan to push max velocity with, BUT if I stumble upon some at a low price, or have plenty sitting in the corner, I am not as concerned using it in an AI since I have to burn a shot anyway to fire form it.

I used some 150s in my new 300WM (Simo) for break in as it was the cheapest ammo I could find. It shot reasonably well and I have to admit that I was not being overly careful in the shooting of it as ti was for break in only.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bizarrnes
Back