Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use public land all you like, but the game is regulated by the state as we see fit. You have zero "rights" to harvest game as a NR.
So now are you a game regulator not a outfitter? As for a non residents have zero rights to game, well If memory is correct from a hunter safety class, all game belongs to the state they are located! Unless its a game farm. hence game violation crimes came be charged on private property. Again maybe your friends should spend more in your communities like I do!

I live in WI where we have a couple hundred thousand non residents come for 9 days every year to deer hunt. Trust me I wouldn't be complaining 21000 on the amount of public land you all have is absolutely nothing.
It's far from nothing. In fact most of the areas with good habitat are over ran. Hunting quality has dropped of precipitously since the early 90's when I started hunting.

So, the NR pressure on wildlife has been addressed by the caps on NR licenses set years ago.
What has not been addressed is the growing number of resident hunters buying OTC tags.

If this bill passes it will hurt residents and non guided NR hunters.
If it passes my NR friends who can now draw a license 75% of the time and hunt on open land, will be drawing less than 25% of the time. When....when they get a tag and we head out to hunt on Block Management or by nocking on doors for permission, I can guarantee less availability for access due to more outfitter leasing. That dynamic will affect me and every other resident every year even though we can buy OTC .

I live in WI where we have a couple hundred thousand non residents come for 9 days every year to deer hunt. Trust me I wouldn't be complaining 21000 on the amount of public land you all have is absolutely nothing.
Well, if this bill passes, you are all set. Greenhorn mentioned the spiral. And it's happening regardless of this. mtmuley

So now are you a game regulator not a outfitter? As for a non residents have zero rights to game, well If memory is correct from a hunter safety class, all game belongs to the state they are located! Unless its a game farm. hence game violation crimes came be charged on private property. Again maybe your friends should spend more in your communities like I do!
I am not and have never been an outfitter. To be clear.
And yes the game is owned by the state. As such you have zero rights as a non resident.
Let's not shit ourselves DYI NR spend very little. When I have hunted DYI as a NR the only thing I really bought in the state I was hunting in was some incidentals, fuel and a license.

It's far from nothing. In fact most of the areas with good habitat are over ran. Hunting quality has dropped of precipitously since the early 90's when I started hunting.
I have hunted the same trailhead for 8 years in Montana and the amount of vehicle's has increased at the trailhead a lot in the last 3 years. That increase is far out weighed by MT plates. My dad hunted this same area in the late 80s early 90s and just like everything it isn't like it used to be. With that being said I still don't see how NR are the problem when licenses have been capped.

I have hunted the same trailhead for 8 years in Montana and the amount of vehicle's has increased at the trailhead a lot in the last 3 years. That increase is far out weighed by MT plates. My dad hunted this same area in the late 80s early 90s and just like everything it isn't like it used to be. With that being said I still don't see how NR are the problem when licenses have been capped.
I've observed the same and there are reasons for this. As a result we can no longer accommodate as many NR. Especially those that contribute relatively little economic benifit.

I've observed the same and there are reasons for this. As a result we can no longer accommodate as many NR. Especially those that contribute relatively little economic benifit.
I was until recently of the NR crowd that always thought MT was growing at this alarming rate and that is why so many people are hunting. So I looked it up and the population has grown less than 1% a year the last 5 years.

So are more residents just taking up hunting?

Also I spend a fair amount of money in your state or any of the other states I go to when I hunt or fish.

Please explain?
A plethora of "help my kids/buddies who moved out of state" legislation last time the Legislature decided they could "improve" the situation as it relates to licensing. These do not lower the B-10/B-11 non-resident licenses, so they are add ons to the B-10/B-11 numbers.

Come Home To Hunt Licenses

Montana Native Licenses

Link here - https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/regulations/elk

A plethora of "help my kids/buddies who moved out of state" legislation last time the Legislature decided they could "improve" the situation as it relates to licensing. These do not lower the B-10/B-11 non-resident licenses, so they are add ons to the B-10/B-11 numbers.

Montana Native Licenses

Thank You.

I was until recently of the NR crowd that always thought MT was growing at this alarming rate and that is why so many people are hunting. So I looked it up and the population has grown less than 1% a year the last 5 years.

So are more residents just taking up hunting?

Also I spend a fair amount of money in your state or any of the other states I go to when I hunt or fish.
Hunter numbers are rising while land available to hunt is falling. Predictable results.
The other thing is parts of the state had much more game pre wolf reintroduction. This further concentrates hunters.
What's a fair amount and on what?

Last edited:
I think giving NR combos for general units to be used across a vast swath of the state, and doing the same for residents is the crowding issue. Also, things like the 900 tag, which are darn near their own subset of general tags good for 1/4 of the state have the same effect.
Montana doesn't need outfitter set asides. It needs a reasonable season structure.

Montana Native Licenses

As someone eligible for Montana Native, I would totally support doing away with it. Especially if it meant some of the reforms I mentioned above.

We are the ones in the resident's lodgepole hidey hole nobody expected to see anybody else in, much less a NR too. I'm not getting that MT Native license to go tromp the Custer with every pumpkin suit from Minneeesoda. These tags are definitely adding to the feeling of crowding.

Hunter numbers are rising while land available not hunt is falling. Predictable results.
The other thing is parts of the state had much more game pre wolf reintroduction. This further concentrates hunters.
What's fair amount and on what?
So wouldn't a really good start being mandatory harvest reporting? You and I have been talking about a finite resource yet neither of us really know how finite or not those resources are.

That is one of the weirdest things for me still is that I don't have to call in a harvest.

I am not and have never been an outfitter. To be clear.
And yes the game is owned by the state. As such you have zero rights as a non resident.
Let's not shit ourselves DYI NR spend very little. When I have hunted DYI as a NR the only thing I really bought in the state I was hunting in was some incidentals, fuel and a license.
You are correct that the game are owned by the state, which means unless a resident/non resident buys the proper license and is successfully drawn for game taken meaning a non resident has the same right as a resident! I’m sure you won’t agree. Im well aware of the non resident 10% max in limited entry areas, which I feel is fare! in The town nearest to us we‘re on a first name basis with most businesses, because We support them!

Last edited:
You are correct that the game are owned by the state, which means unless a resident/non resident buys the proper license and is successfully drawn for game taken meaning a non resident has the same right as a resident! I’m sure you won’t agree. Im well aware of the non resident 10% max in limited entry areas, which I feel is fare! in The town nearest to us we‘re on a first name basis with most businesses, because We support them!
You have a privilege. The state isnt obligated to give you as a NR any licenses.

Well I just looked on Sen. Jason Ellsworth facebook page (senator who sponsored the bill). January 16th he wrote a priority list for this legislative session. Funny he didnt mention one single word about any of this.... almost like he didnt want his constitutes to know what he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back