Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Non-resident Hunting and the North American Model

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Wyoming should take the opportunity to increase fund. In fact they should be obligated to.
The market should drive the price for NR tags, period. Selling more of a consumable resource for less just doesnt make sense.
I strongly disagree. This is a consumable resource but it's not a profit driven market...the last time everything in the hunting world was based on profit and capitalization we extirpated damn near everything. 60 million bison wiped off the face of the great plains. I believe it was lewis and clark who described hundreds of big horn sheep in the rocks and cliffs above their camp in MT. Never again will it be like that.

By your logic we'd turn every tag into an auction. Every mule deer tag in WY and CO would go for 5 to 10k within a few years. Tags would be bought and then resold for even more money. It would drive land prices up. There would be even more demand for landowner tags to resell. You are literally supporting the destruction of hunting as we know it and spitting in the face of every conservation effort that brought us back from the brink.

"The greatest good for the greatest number" - TR

Way to show your gratefulness to TR and the conservation icons for everything they did by supporting the notion this is all about market price.

Pound sand.

Last edited:
Then let's auction each and every tag off to the highest bidder and get the actual market value for each tag. That is market value. It will tell the absolute highest amount each tag is worth on the open market.

That would assure they wouldn't be selling more of a consumable resource for less.
That would be fine for NR provided it's not via auctions.

I disagree. This is a consumable resource but it's not a profit driven market...the last time everything in the hunting world was based on profit and capitalization we extirpated damn near everything. 60 million bison wiped off the face of the great plains. I believe it was lewis and clark who described hundreds of big horn sheep in the rocks and cliffs above their camp in MT. Never again will it be like that.

By your logic we'd turn every tag into an auction. Every mule deer tag in WY and CO would go for 5 to 10k within a few years. Tags would be bought and then resold for even more money. It would drive land prices up. There would be even more demand for landowner tags to resell. You are literally supporting the destruction of hunting as we know it and spitting in the face of every conservation effort that brought us back from the brink.
Never known a game department to turn a profit.

That would be fine for NR provided it's not via auctions.
I thought your point was to make as much money as possible by using market value. Why not do that for everyone so that the F&G department can have a nice pile of money?

The drag on society is the piece of shit business that thinks paying an employee $10 an hour is fair....
A person's value as an employee is dictated by their skills. Should a burger flipper make as much as a trained and educated professional such as yourself?

I thought your point was to make as much money as possible by using market value. Why not do that for everyone so that the F&G department s can have a nice pile of money?
Let's be honest. The motivation for many of you guys is the ability to hunt multiple states as cheap as possible. Let's be honest.

Let's be honest. The motivation for many of you guys is the ability to hunt multiple states as cheap as possible. Let's be honest.
I think the purpose of the thread is about a conservation model that worked being slowly dismantled. Everyone is raising prices. You said instead of simply raising the prices, they should get as much as possible by selling them at market value. That is your position.

If you guys want to talk about wages and worth of workers, go start a new thread.

A person's value as an employee is dictated by their skills. Should a burger flipper make as much as a trained and educated professional such as yourself?
Anyone that gives 40 hours of their life to an employer should make enough to cover the basics of life....affordable health care, a one bedroom apartment, food, power, a vehicle to drive to work, contribute at least 5% to retirement....and save enough to cover emergency situations. Maybe even a little extra for a deer tag or a fishing license to save the north american model of wildlife conservation.

I don't give a crap if that's a burger flipper, gas station clerk, or dog catcher.

Any business that doesn't pay that much is expecting the taxpayer to flip the bill to cover what they aren't paying for their employees basics. That means I'm subsidizing their business...and I'm sick of it. Time for business to pay what 40 hours of someone's life is worth each week.

This thread has nothing to do with motivations, but if you must know my motivation is simply to see the NAM continue in a healthy and robust manner for future generations. It has nothing to do with what you are stating.

Back to the topic.

This thread has nothing to do with motivations, but if you must know my motivation is simply to see the NAM continue in a healthy and robust manner for future generations. It has nothing to do with what you are stating.

Back to the topic.
JLS, this may shock you but I have the same hopes.
But let's both agree that the models future takes money and it needs to be funded by hunters.

Anyone that gives 40 hours of their life to an employer should make enough to cover the basics of life....affordable health care, a one bedroom apartment, food, power, a vehicle to drive to work, contribute at least 5% to retirement....and save enough to cover emergency situations. Maybe even a little extra for a deer tag or a fishing license to save the north american model of wildlife conservation.

I don't give a crap if that's a burger flipper, gas station clerk, or dog catcher.

Any business that doesn't pay that much is expecting the taxpayer to flip the bill to cover what they aren't paying for their employees basics. That means I'm subsidizing their business...and I'm sick of it. Time for business to pay what 40 hours of someone's life is worth each week.
But the fact the government is funding most of the things you mention and that's not going to ever stop. Then therenisnthenproblem of wage inflation. It doesnt end like you suggest it does.

Back