Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Non-Jerky Duck Recipes?

Carbon

I was interested to see all of the responses in the Wild Game Meat thread that listed ducks as a favorite game meat. I love hunting them, but don't do it much anymore because I don't enjoy eating them. I'm not a big fan of duck or goose jerky.

Does anyone have a favorite duck recipe that will get me out hunting them again?

Thanks,

Jim

Duck Bites:

1. Cube up the meat in 1" cubes.
2. Marinate overnight in half BBQ sauce and half Jack Daniels. Be liberal with the Jack. Refrigerate.
3. Wrap in bacon and secure with toothpick.
4. Bake at 350 for about 12 mins, until the bacon is crispy and duck is still pink in middle.
5. Come back and thank me for giving you the best duck recipe ever.

I don't know quite what to call it, but I do this a lot with duck, and serve it with breakfast or as a snack. It is super simple.

1. slice breasts crosswise into 1/4 inch thick strips
2. make a watery marinade of soy sauce, molasses, and red pepper flakes. Throw the strips in it for a few hours, or a couple minutes if that's all the time you have.
3. makes a dredge with flour, salt, pepper, cayenne powder (to taste)
4. heat up some oil in a cast iron skillet (if available), I avoid olive as it has a lower smoke point and I want it hot.
5. pull the strips out of the marinade, shake them off, and coat them in the dredge, and send them straight into the oil.
6. cook until they are crispy on both sides (maybe 30 seconds on each side)
7. set them on a plate with a paper towel for a minute to cool and have at them

We have done this recipe in the duck boat over lunch.

Google "duck poppers". Or you can marinate the goose breasts in Italian dressing and grill them the next day. There are some simple rub recipes that are pretty good and give the duck just enough flavor to complement the natural flavor.

Another shameless promotion of Hank Shaw: Duck, Duck, Goose and Steven Rinella: The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game.

I like mine simply grilled to rare with some salt, pepper, and garlic. I've also been successful making fajitas and stir fry...I like spicy.

Here is one of my favorites:

4 Duck Breast Skin on or off, seasoned both sides with salt and pepper.

Heat skillet to med high heat. Sear breasts for 2 minutes on each side and then set aside

In the same skillet melt a tablespoon of butter, then sautee one large chopped onion and sliced mushrooms until done then pour into the skillet 1 cup of orange juice, 2 shots Gran Marnier, one crushed garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce sauce by half and then put return duck breasts to pan for 3 minutes turning them several times to coat. Serve with wild rice and steamed veggies and a nice red wine. You will be back out looking for more ducks.

Nemont

Try this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7YEAADV0Yk

I love hunting duck (It is now my favorite food next to fresh scallops), but it never tasted good so I always suffered through the meals on principle. Then I found this short youtube video and things have never been the same for me. The keys are leaving the fat on the duck and not overcooking it.

Assuming you are using a mallard
1) Cook on fat/skin side for 3 minutes
2) Sear on non-skin side fo 30 seconds
3) Place the pan in the oven at 400 degrees for no more than 6 minutes.

Adjust times for smaller ducks.

Please try it. At least watch the video. It is simple and I have converted a number of skeptical duck hunters with this simple video.

Duck nuggets

Cut breast meat into cubes
Marinate in soy, teriyaki and worchestorsire for ten minutes
Batter in shorelunch and deepfry

Everyone who has tried kabobs cooked this way is surprised how good duck can be.

duck kabob recipe.jpg

Duck empanadas - makes a big batch and they can live in the freezer and be pulled out and cooked as needed. Makes for a quick dinner after a long day.

1. You need one onion, breasts from 8 teal or equivalent amount of larger ducks, 1 package of cream cheese, 3 packages of puff pastry.
2. Dice the onion and cook over medium heat with a little oil and a tablespoon of sugar until carmelized. Set aside and let come to room temp.
3. Sear the duck breasts 2-3 minutes per side over med-high heat until brown. They should still be pretty rare.
4. Mince the duck into a fairly fine mince with a knife.
5. Mix the onion, cream cheese (room temp) and meat thoroughly.
6. Thaw the puff pastry enough to work with. Roll out slightly, and cut out 3" rounds.
7. Place about 1 T. of meat mixture on each round - fold in half and crimp with a fork. Store in the freezer until ready to cook.
8. To cook, they just go straight from the freezer into the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until puff pastry is golden and flaky. Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole. Hunting Husband likes them Asian style with sweet chili sauce instead.

I usually have some filling and weird shaped puff pastry trimmings left, so I squish the bits of puff pastry into the bottom/sides of muffin tins to make little cups and fill with the remaining filling. Cook at 350 degrees until hot and puff pastry is done (about 20-30 minutes) and serve immediately.

French Dip Ducks

Take all your duck breasts and toss them in the crock pot with beef stock.
Toss the hind quarters in too, if you want.
Grab a beer and go sit on the couch and watch football for 30 minutes.

Then, remove the meat and slice, shred, pick, whatever it takes to get it into small pieces.
Mix up some Au Jus sauce (that is French for "tastes like a cow juice")
Get some of them fancy, long rolls, kinda mini-French Bread, or Po' Boy style for southern Rednecks

To assemble: Put the meat and some cheese on the buns. Take a small dish/bowl of the AuJus sauce to dip.

Duck Bites:

1. Cube up the meat in 1" cubes.
2. Marinate overnight in half BBQ sauce and half Jack Daniels. Be liberal with the Jack. Refrigerate.
3. Wrap in bacon and secure with toothpick.
4. Bake at 350 for about 12 mins, until the bacon is crispy and duck is still pink in middle.
5. Come back and thank me for giving you the best duck recipe ever.

I do this allot but a little different. I have found the marinade itself doesn't matter. Any vinegar based will work. We put them in a vacuum bag and seal it. I put it in the fridge or feeze it if I have more.

The only difference is I add a Jalapeno and I use the grill. I find I can get the bacon done easier if I let the grill flame up without over cooking the duck. I did this for new years and I put all the ducks in a pan and set them in the smoker for 10 minutes to get a little smoke flavor then I moved it to the grill. I will say I have had friends tell me you can wrap a turd in bacon and it would taste good. I cant argue.

If I get some nice fat mallards I pluck them. I will then rub some olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper on them. Throw them on the smoker until 130 or so and then serve. It is really good this way.

Key with duck is to not over cook it.

The keys are leaving the fat on the duck and not overcooking it.

Key with duck is to not over cook it.

Hank Shaw book ordered. Thanks!

Lots of smart folks on here!

As for the Hank Shaw book book... I like it because it not only will give you recipes, it will also help you to understand the reasons behind why you do or don't do certain things with game meat.

I really like duck lettuce wraps with rice. Literally buy one of those Asian lettuce wrap seasoning packets from the grocery store and just follow the directions with substitute cubed duck for chicken.

The only good way I know how to prepare goose is this: Put breasts into a crockpot and cover with coca-cola, cook on low 4-6hrs. Drain the coca-cola off and put a jar/bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, cook another 2hrs+ on low. Pull the breasts like pulled pork and make sandwiches.

I find the taste of goose to be very off putting and this is pretty much the only way I have found that I enjoy it.

French Dip Ducks

Take all your duck breasts and toss them in the crock pot with beef stock.
Toss the hind quarters in too, if you want.

Then, remove the meat and slice, shred, pick, whatever it takes to get it into small pieces.
Mix up some Au Jus sauce (that is French for "tastes like a cow juice")
Get some of them fancy, long rolls, kinda mini-French Bread, or Po' Boy style for southern Rednecks

To assemble: Put the meat and some cheese on the buns. Take a small dish/bowl of the AuJus sauce to dip.

I don't think I could take that much football. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back