Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Non-hunting vacation- Washington, DC

D_Walt

The wife and I have decided to take the kids to DC this summer, going to be there 5 1/2 days in late June. Kids are 13 and 16, both have a very strong interest in history, and I figure we might as well show them a little of how/where our government works so they can have some context to my griping at the talking heads on TV.

Trying to plan out an itinerary, staying in DC within walking distance from the mall, etc. planning on one day trip to Mt Vernon and Arlington Cemetery. I figure the first half day 1 we will see WW2 Memorial, Lincoln and Vietnam memorial. Leaves 4 days to see museums, Capitol, etc. Anyone taken their kids (or not) and have any Recommendations, especially time wise?

My wife and I took our kids (ages 8, 6, and 3) to DC and the surrounding area in the summer of 2021. Many sites were closed due to COVID protocols, but we still hit the following:

Arlington National Cemetery - including the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (the changing of the guards is a sight to behold).
The National Mall - all the monuments were so cool.
Walked around the perimeter of the White House - pretty neat to see in person.
Gettysburg - not too far of a drive from DC, definitely worth the drive. (If there's time, y'all should eat at the Blue & Gray Grill)

The Holocaust Museum and Smithsonian's were closed, but I would've loved to walk through them. Not sure I would've let my kids go through the Holocaust Museum...

A trip to NYC for the day would be fun, we did that and saw the Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial, and others.

My uncle, Mom's brother, took me there a couple of times when I was a young teenager. Saw Arlington, many of the Smithsonians, the US Mint, etc. We're from a small, small town so it was an amazing experience but two things really stuck in my mind: seeing a homeless person sleeping on a bench with all of their belongings (never had seen that) and watching the changing of the guard at Arlington. Those images are seared into me.

Have a great time with your family!

Holocaust museum is excellent but strange. You walk through history and see how the people were manipulated. I STRONGLY suggest prepping them because there are some gut wrenching displays

Arlington is worth it

Museums, I like like natural history and air and space

Vietnam memorial as well as Lincoln and Martin Luther King

Prep them for lots of walking

Smithsonian is the best attraction
in DC. Each museum could take up to a day to visit.
Definitely will be quite a few things that go unseen, but we will spend a good amount of time at the Smithsonian museums.

Try to arrange a Capitol tour with your senator or representative. Info on how to do so should be on their website. Grab some crab cakes for lunch at the Eastern Market afterwards (closed on Mondays). There’s a great, albeit claustrophobic, used bookstore right by the market (Capitol Hill Books). Can’t go wrong with any of the Smithsonians, I’d pick one or two and not try to fit them all in. Holocaust Museum shouldn’t be missed. The zoo is free an certainly worth a visit to peep the pandas. International Spy Museum is very cool as well, I’d certainly try to go there. Georgetown’s campus is pretty, but the neighborhood is more or less an open air mall anymore. National Cathedral is a gem, but a bit out of the way. Grab a half smoke at Ben’s Chili Bowl on U-Street if you’re up yonder.

5.5 days is a LONG time in DC, even if you do venture out to Arlington, MT Vernon, etc... I'd split it and take Amtrak to Philly and fly one leg out of PHL. Dovetails nicely with DC for kids/history. Even adults can't do museums for 5.5 days.

Probably too late for White house reservations (through your congressmen). But get your Capitol tours and Washington monument tours booked (recreation.gov). Air & Space is also rez only - so get that booked. Most of the other museums can be fairly last minute - even walk-up. Almost all museums are free (Smithsonian owned/run). So I would NOT bother with the CityPass (all inclusive) type options. Get rez early for Ford's theatre (and maybe even try to see a show there).

Hotel and restaurant options will be much better on NE side of the mall. South side is very dry (gov't offices) - don't hotel on the south.

We just walk and use the $1 Circulator bus around the mall area. Use the $1 bus and thoroughly plan your mall/museum walks or you will tire out. Subway is nice but can be expensive and not all that convenient - if not planned out well.

Plan your days as to food as it's just not as good food just isn't' available as you would think for a large city. It's easy to get stuck and have to eat at museums (bad food) or a low quality food truck (or have no food options).

Also use the Free SW Shuttle bus to get down to the Wharf area for dinner, ferry ride to VA, etc...

It’s only a short drive south but the Marine Corp museum should be a must!

Attachments

• 30045628-C90D-4087-B06C-7795E663DC5C.jpeg
    30045628-C90D-4087-B06C-7795E663DC5C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Don't stay in a cheep motel, like motel 6 in Capital Hights Maryland. That is a unique experience best avoided. It is worth it to spend the extra money.
Smithsonian was my favorite part, Have fun

Holocaust museum is excellent but strange. You walk through history and see how the people were manipulated. I STRONGLY suggest prepping them because there are some gut wrenching displays

Arlington is worth it

Museums, I like like natural history and air and space

Vietnam memorial as well as Lincoln and Martin Luther King

Prep them for lots of walking
Not to worried about the walking, they’ll do fine with that. OnX says it’s 1.1 miles walking distance from the hotel to the Smithsonian American History museum, but I’m sure there will be miles of walking inside the museums also. The air and space museum will certainly have my son’s attention, he is an air plane enthusiast and is especially knowledgeable and interested in WW2 planes and WW2 history, he can tell you all about every plane, battle, and ship used in the pacific theater, his bookshelf more closely resembles that of an 80 year old than a kid - two dozen WW2 books, a Bible, and two mule deer hunting books. The Holocaust museum is definitely on the list, I’m sure that will be tough for them, but it will be eye opening.

Don't stay in a cheep motel, like motel 6 in Capital Hights Maryland. That is a unique experience best avoided. It is worth it to spend the extra money.
Smithsonian was my favorite part, Have fun
We looked at several options, finally decided to stay as close as possible so we got a suite at place that is only 450 yards from the White House as the crow flies. My wife (then fiancé) and I went once right after I graduated college 20 some years ago, we stayed at a cheap hotel in a sketchy area…I don’t care to do that again!

Try to arrange a Capitol tour with your senator or representative. Info on how to do so should be on their website. Grab some crab cakes for lunch at the Eastern Market afterwards (closed on Mondays). There’s a great, albeit claustrophobic, used bookstore right by the market (Capitol Hill Books). Can’t go wrong with any of the Smithsonians, I’d pick one or two and not try to fit them all in. Holocaust Museum shouldn’t be missed. The zoo is free a certainly worth a visit to peep the pandas. International Spy Museum is very cool as well, I’d certainly try to go there. Georgetown’s campus is pretty, but the neighborhood is more or less an open air mall anymore. National Cathedral is a gem, but a bit out of the way. Grab a half smoke at Ben’s Chili Bowl on U-Street if you’re up yonder.
Now that sounds very interesting, had not considered reaching out to my Rep to see if a tour could be arranged, but I will definitely look into it.

Not sure if the CIA is open for tours. But its pretty cool. Look for a dinner show, there are a few around the Mall, fun entertainment. Georgetown is pretty cool. Antietam isn't too far, and a few revolutionary and Civil battle fields near. There is also a few revolutionary forts in the area. Those are super cool.

DC is pretty fun. Lots of cool stuff outside the city to.

Last edited:
The air and space museum at Dulles is worth going out of the city for. It's also close to Manassas battlefield if you guys are into history. Gettysburg is worth the 2 hour drive to see.
As stated, be strategic with the walking, and use the metro to get yourselves around. June in DC can be hot and humid. It will wear you out even if you're in shape.
Have a good trip.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back