No Sidearm With Bow for Deer in CA

What do you do?

• Total voters
What would you need one for?
That’s how I feel as well. My state is no way no how carry anything. I def would if I could just not hunting, I’d not want to carry anything else. I’m also afraid of no one or nothing especially outdoors.

In regards to the "I'm just bear hunting but happen to have a deer tag as well idea" what if you kill a deer? There is a lot of discretion in law enforcement, but honesty goes a long way. The Warden you earlier told you were only bear hunting now might want to counter sign your deer tag. If you plan on testing the law or the understanding of a Warden just do it without involving a lie that might come back on you.

What would you need one for?
Whaaa? A hunt forum inquiring why a gun is necessary?

We like things that shoot bullets <period>.

Any excuse to buy a pew pew is a good excuse.

If deer season provides an excuse in a state with a concuring bear season... it's necessary. buy a bear tag! I've found leaving a gun at camp to take a crap... that golden elk, deer, bear, whatever appears out of nowhere and laughs atcha!

If $$$'s an issue, I've heard there's a black market for kidneys. We can still shoot with one kidney.

Whaaa? A hunt forum inquiring why a gun is necessary?

We like things that shoot bullets <period>.

Any excuse to buy a pew pew is a good excuse.

If deer season provides an excuse in a state with a concuring bear season... it's necessary. buy a bear tag! I've found leaving a gun at camp to take a crap... that golden elk, deer, bear, whatever appears out of nowhere and laughs atcha!

If $$$'s an issue, I've heard there's a black market for kidneys. We can still shoot with one kidney.

I'll not tell any responsible individual that they shouldn't have one, just curious why he needed one during bow season. I used to carry my revolver while archery hunting (until it got lost in a boating accident, with the rest of them), but usually left it in the tent because I flat out didn't want to carry the extra 2lbs...

I'll not tell any responsible individual that they shouldn't have one, just curious why he needed one during bow season. I used to carry my revolver while archery hunting (until it got lost in a boating accident, with the rest of them), but usually left it in the tent because I flat out didn't want to carry the extra 2lbs...
As stated previously, cats my friend. Had a sketchy run in with one a few years back and just feel a little better with some pew pew.

I don't think this is specific to deer. I believe the regs are no firearm on an archery only tag or archery only season. You can carry if you choose to bowhunt during a general season. Either way like many regs that are not straight up poaching like spot lighting, baiting, etc... you may catch a warning but if you get a ticket the fine will depend on the county. Not only could the fine be several hundred dollars but you would have a conviction on your record. Leave the pistol in your truck, Rambo kicked plenty of ass with just a bow and a big knife
Rambo picked up machine guns on many occasions 😂😂😂

Take bear spray for the cats. It works. There’s a video of a dude spraying his at a cat and it jetted. Another of a dude throwing a rock at two and they jetted. You’re in Cali, not Alaska or Montana or Canada. Your biggest fear is cats and cartels… leave it home. Shoot cartels with bow

I like the bear spray idea. The mountain I hunt on is home to 6 female lions now, males come to visit & ive seen trail cam photos of 4 adult sized lions together not far from one of my favorite spots. I feel like I can change a cats mind with a bow but not more than one. So many cats it’s a biological study area is the reason I know the numbers. Only seen a couple hunting in 40 years but always tracks & kills.

Kentucky used to have a similar law. It was challenged and was changed to allow those with a conceal carry permit to be able to carry while bow hunting. However, in KY you can now carry conceal without a permit so anyone can carry while bow hunting. I think folks should be able to carry while bow hunting. I’m for more freedom, not less.

I like the bear spray idea. The mountain I hunt on is home to 6 female lions now, males come to visit & ive seen trail cam photos of 4 adult sized lions together not far from one of my favorite spots. I feel like I can change a cats mind with a bow but not more than one. So many cats it’s a biological study area is the reason I know the numbers. Only seen a couple hunting in 40 years but always tracks & kills.
So with that many cats around, are you seeing any deer in those trail cams?

This is a bit off topic but I think it's food for thought. It points out the issue of loopholes one can get involved in without really trying to.

First off I'm in Montana where it's legal to carry a firearm while bowhunting. Bear season opens Sept. 15th for rifle/archery. So while your hunting say elk with your bow you happen upon a bear and you end up harvesting it with your bow. Are you legal if you do not have on your blaze orange vest. Remember it is rifle season for the bear but archery season for deer/elk.

These what if questions are fun to see the reply's and thought process folks go through. I asked a local warden this question. What do you think he said? Remember loopholes are a pain in the rear and confusing.

Well his answer was you need to have the blaze orange vest on to legally shoot the bear because of the rifle season.

What are your thoughts?

This is a bit off topic but I think it's food for thought. It points out the issue of loopholes one can get involved in without really trying to.

First off I'm in Montana where it's legal to carry a firearm while bowhunting. Bear season opens Sept. 15th for rifle/archery. So while your hunting say elk with your bow you happen upon a bear and you end up harvesting it with your bow. Are you legal if you do not have on your blaze orange vest. Remember it is rifle season for the bear but archery season for deer/elk.

These what if questions are fun to see the reply's and thought process folks go through. I asked a local warden this question. What do you think he said? Remember loopholes are a pain in the rear and confusing.

Well his answer was you need to have the blaze orange vest on to legally shoot the bear because of the rifle season.

What are your thoughts?
Thoughts? "you need to have the blaze orange vest on to legally shoot the bear because of the rifle season."

This thread got me thinking to my early days of hunting where I was always looking for an angle, loophole, or other advantage. I've come to realize it is a lot more enjoyable and productive just to follow the law and improve your hunting skills. I don't spend time trying to "get around" a reg I don't like and when I hunt I don't worry about running into a Warden.

looking for an angle, loophole, or other advantage.
Death & Taxes...
Any means to enjoy life and legally reduce Uncle Sam's contribution... take advantage, find that angle, and work the legal loopholes.

Anyone go to gun shows? ;)

Death & Taxes...
Any means to enjoy life and legally reduce Uncle Sam's contribution... take advantage, find that angle, and work the legal loopholes.

Anyone go to gun shows? ;)
Yup love gun shows with or without loopholes LOL

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back