MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

No Sidearm With Bow for Deer in CA

What do you do?

• Total voters

WBouldin

So in CA (also many other states) you cannot carry a sidearm when bowhunting deer but you can for any other big game animal. From an ethical perspective, I would never use the firearm on the deer, but I understand why it’s a rule. Curious though how a warden would enforce it? Fine? Warning? I couldn’t find what the fine would be online. Seems really silly and like one of those things that could be selectively enforced.

I guess I wouldn't mind carrying. I do believe there are big kitties in Cali.

So in CA (also many other states) you cannot carry a sidearm when bowhunting deer but you can for any other big game animal. From an ethical perspective, I would never use the firearm on the deer, but I understand why it’s a rule. Curious though how a warden would enforce it? Fine? Warning? I couldn’t find what the fine would be online. Seems really silly and like one of those things that could be selectively enforced.
I don't think this is specific to deer. I believe the regs are no firearm on an archery only tag or archery only season. You can carry if you choose to bowhunt during a general season. Either way like many regs that are not straight up poaching like spot lighting, baiting, etc... you may catch a warning but if you get a ticket the fine will depend on the county. Not only could the fine be several hundred dollars but you would have a conviction on your record. Leave the pistol in your truck, Rambo kicked plenty of ass with just a bow and a big knife

I'm just curious, is this actually being enforced? I can carry in glacier national park if I want to, but I can't open carry in certain states while deer hunting ?

I don't think this is specific to deer. I believe the regs are no firearm on an archery only tag or archery only season. You can carry if you choose to bowhunt during a general season. Either way like many regs that are not straight up poaching like spot lighting, baiting, etc... you may catch a warning but if you get a ticket the fine will depend on the county. Not only could the fine be several hundred dollars but you would have a conviction on your record. Leave the pistol in your truck, Rambo kicked plenty of ass with just a bow and a big knife
This is specific to deer and you cannot carry in either the archery or general (unless you have the general tag). I have an archery only tag so it’s banned in either season. You can hunt any other big game with a bow and sidearm.

I'm just curious, is this actually being enforced? I can carry in glacier national park if I want to, but I can't open carry in certain states while deer hunting ?
My guess is it's not a top enforcement priority but I'm certain it is enforced in some areas. just because some Wardens may utilize discretion I think it's a bad idea to test it. Other agencies like USFS officers and US Fish and Wildlife also enforce regs during deer season and may have a different opinion.

This is specific to deer and you cannot carry in either the archery or general (unless you have the general tag). I have an archery only tag so it’s banned in either season. You can hunt any other big game with a bow and sidearm.
Can you hunt bear or elk during an archery only season and carry?

So when does immorality achieve zero sum gain via statute? Are we getting closer or farther?

Totally depends on the warden. It’s a stupid law, if your close enough to use your handgun, presumably you would just obey the law and use your bow. I never thought I needed a handgun in Cali until I had a interesting encounter with a mountain lion. That feeling of being helpless was reaffirmed a few years later when I went bushwhacking one day trying to get to a spot I “heard” about and walked in to a grow with a couple dudes sporting sks’s in the bushes. From that point on I carried and if I warden asked I told him why, luckily I had pretty good relationships with the wardens in the area and it wasn’t a thing. Until one day a new guy came along trying to make a name for himself and he tried to make it a thing. There are definitely ways around it, just remember to know the law specifically by the word and answer the questions appropriately and you will be good.

Looks like there was a change in 2020, I stand corrected. it says may carry in taking big game other than deer. like so many things in CA makes perfect sense.:unsure:
The original code was written for taking of deer, the Commission was able to make a change to other game via petition, but §354 still needs to be in agreement with §4370(b). There were two incidences in 2018 where an archers needed to defend themselves against a bear and mountain lion, which was a jumpstart for the rule change, in addition cannabis grows. I believe to make a change to 4370 it will take a change via the legislature.

I’d opt for the Bear tag if I was concerned. Assuming it’s an option in the area you hunt.

I wonder what the interpretation would be if you have both a deer and bear tag. I guess because you're deer hunting you technically can't have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back