No Optics on ML in NM 2023

I can't wait until a state makes you pass a profencientcy test to buy a muzzleloader tag or archery tag. Heck even rifle. I know there is a few hunts on military bases that require it. They don't have to be hard but certainly will be just enough of an inconvenience to weed out some of the idiots that don't know what they are doing.

On my NM hunt thus last week, I was beyond appalled by the outfitter and his kid client that shot that buck in front of me. 550 yard shot. So far that they couldn't see my cousin right by the buck. Almost killed them. Why? Well because the first shot I saw the kid hit way over his back. Then on the second shot, he took him out dead center of the deers face. When down there, the outfitter is preaching how "great of a shot that was from so far away". Direct quote just about. 🤦‍♂️ :unsure:🤦‍♂️

So we should let everyone have technology that far exceeds the intent of the special seasons because some chit heads will be unethical? Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Weeelll, that may be so.
It figures, I have a good ML myslf

700 may be a stretch but a solid 400 all day.

But what is the “intent” of a primative weapon season?
Stuffing smokeless powders and high BC bullets, 700 yards.

I wouldn't try it with my tricked out .264, but read about guys going ultra long with these rigs. IG BS? Likely, but they are out there.

I love Idaho's ML regs, but everyone knows I bitch constantly about ML wound loss. Do we lose more elk to lack of follow up with primitives in Idaho, or guys shooting beyond their skills in NM? Either way sucks to be an elk that gets left to die.

Seems like the common denominator is the wingnut on the back of the stock.

I can't wait until a state makes you pass a profencientcy test to buy a muzzleloader tag or archery tag. Heck even rifle. I know there is a few hunts on military bases that require it. They don't have to be hard but certainly will be just enough of an inconvenience to weed out some of the idiots that don't know what they are doing.

d03.jpg

I would like to see the muzzle loader season include black powder cartridges. I have several Sharps, Winchesters and other traditional black powder cartridges that parallel the ballistics of muzzleloaders.

The other limiting factor is sights. I would also be in favor of traditional black powder cartridges with vintage equipped sights. As long as black powder is used with lead bullets, I believe the intent of the muzzleloader season is kept intact with those additions…

I would like to see the muzzle loader season include black powder cartridges. I have several Sharps, Winchesters and other traditional black powder cartridges that parallel the ballistics of muzzleloaders.
By definition it would no longer be a muzzleloader season. Keep muzzleloader seasons for muzzleloaders, there are already any weapons hunts for nostalgia.

The other limiting factor is sights. I would also be in favor of traditional black powder cartridges with vintage equipped sights. As long as black powder is used with lead bullets, I believe the intent of the muzzleloader season is kept intact with those additions…
No, absolutely know. I have all the same rifles and they have NO PLACE in a muzzleloader season.

Not wanting to derail the OP, but my buddy in Louisiana tells me their "primitive" allows even 35 Whelen. He uses an H&R Handi-Rifle in 45-70, scoped.

1669492584052.png

No, absolutely know. I have all the same rifles and they have NO PLACE in a muzzleloader season.
So you are fine with in line, shotgun primers, scopes and all the other modern twists that have been incorporated into muzzle loading?

Where is there a season dedicated to black powder rifle?

So you are fine with in line, shotgun primers, scopes and all the other modern twists that have been incorporated into muzzle loading?

I saw a 50-110 Sharps on a used rack in Yakima once and I was in love. I couldn't afford that mistress.

I would love a BPCR season separate from ML seasons. The problem, IMHO, is that if every niche group gets a season, pretty soon it's crossbow, atlatl, and spear season.

I saw a 50-110 Sharps on a used rack in Yakima once and I was in love. I couldn't afford that mistress.

I would love a BPCR season separate from ML seasons. The problem, IMHO, is that if every niche group gets a season, pretty soon it's crossbow, atlatl, and spear season.
True, there can’t be specific seasons for every variation in killing game, I just don’t follow the logic that allows the modernizing of muzzleloaders and still consider it a muzzleloader.

Forget all the cheating done with muzzleloaders and stick to the original aspects of the rifle and I am fine with that, but I see less distortion with black powder cartridges than I do with the changes in priming, propellants, sighting and other modernization of a so called muzzleloader.

True, there can’t be specific seasons for every variation in killing game, I just don’t follow the logic that allows the modernizing of muzzleloaders and still consider it a muzzleloader.

Forget all the cheating done with muzzleloaders and stick to the original aspects of the rifle and I am fine with that, but I see less distortion with black powder cartridges than I do with the changes in priming, propellants, sighting and other modernization of a so called muzzleloader.
100%

So back to scopes not allowed now.
There was no mention of inlines, sabots, primers, powder changes.
No mention of musket seasons, flintlocks , etc.

Read what I wrote above. It's pretty clear what I don't like and why, Kirk.

Read what I wrote above. It's pretty clear what I don't like and why, Kirk.
You have an opinion, it’s yours, but it isn’t the only one. Read what I wrote and find something wrong with that.

Muzzle loading season and the guns as they have evolved is nowhere near as close to the real intent of the hunting season as I suggested with black powder cartridge guns. Ballistics of straight wall cases and lead bullets are more in keeping with traditional hunting than what muzzleloaders are now:

This is directly from a muzzleloading manufacturer:

The NitroFire from Traditions is the first and best muzzleloader on the market that uses the Firestick encapsulated powder charge from Federal Premium. The benefits of this revolutionary product include:

• Polymer charge filled with clean-burning Hodgdon Triple Eight powder
  • Charges from the breech of Traditions NitroFire rifle
  • Bullet loads from the muzzle
  • Totally impervious to moisture and the elements
  • Same tight tolerances and quality controls as loaded ammunition
  • Fast, effortless loading and unloading
  • Shooter inserts 209 shotgun primer (not included)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back