Yeti GOBOX Collection

No antlers - but freezer full...

beartoothhiker

First time I've ever been tagged out for elk in a season. Cow1 was a week ago - beautiful day and my buddy and I got into a heard of about 75 elk with ~15 bulls/spikes. There were 3 bulls bugling at each other and 2 other bulls sparring - very fun to see the first of November! I harvested this cow, but my buddy missed his shot. We were actually able to get her packed out in one trip after gutless/boning out - realizing now that she was on the smaller side after our experience yesterday.

Cow2 was yesterday - We made a last minute decision on Wed night to go again yesterday. The weather was not as "nice" - 5 degrees with 6-12" fresh snow. We were hiking across an open area and heard an elk bugle to our right about 7am. I glassed the area and there was a bull, bedded down out in the open, 150yds away, looking at us - and bugled. What we realized a couple minutes later is we happened to be between him and 3 cows. Neither one of us had bull tags for the HD so we were only after cows anyway. Both our shooting was true and we had 2 cows down by 730am. As hunters know - now the work began. We both realized quickly these cows where much bigger than mine from the week before and we had multiple trips ahead of us. We both were able to get them out in 3 trips each, but don't think either of us could have done a 4th. We loaded up our second loads with a front and hind quarter each. I could barely move when I got home.

I was fortunate enough to archery hunt with my dad (72 years old) in WY this year so I had my chance at bulls, but never worked out for a good shot. I am thankful and blessed to provide for my family. I'll start grinding Cow2 this weekend and looking forward to hunting with my kids over the next few weeks and only carrying a pack. :)

Attachments

• cow1.jpg
    cow1.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 43
  • cow2.jpg
    cow2.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 43
Always feels good to have the Antlers but even better to fill that freezer! Congrats - I had 5 Caribou tags and was only able to fill 1 so great job tagging out!!!

Congratulations on your full freezer! Always nice to have enough to share with family and friends.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back