Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

NM unit 50

mcclaskey78

Anyone have any recent experience in NM unit 50 for Antelope? I just have a couple questions

From the John Dunn bridge walk North along the Rio Grande for a day. It is rugged country so you should walk your horses. In the distance to the West you should see a large volcanic cone rising up about five miles from the river. This is the Cerro de la Olla and is where you will find pronghorn. This mountain is also sacred to the local pueblo natives who may take umbrage at your presence. I recommend taking red and blue pigments as well as a quantity of tobacco to offer if things go sideways.

From the John Dunn bridge walk North along the Rio Grande for a day. It is rugged country so you should walk your horses. In the distance to the West you should see a large volcanic cone rising up about five miles from the river. This is the Cerro de la Olla and is where you will find pronghorn. This mountain is also sacred to the local pueblo natives who may take umbrage at your presence. I recommend taking red and blue pigments as well as a quantity of tobacco to offer if things go sideways.
Steer clear of the Pueblo natives, got it....

First time putting in for NM Antelope, and I was drawn for units 21, 24 in October, same dates as you. Beyond excited! Although I can't find any information online for these units so, if anyone has insight into these units, it would be greatly appreciated.

First time putting in for NM Antelope, and I was drawn for units 21, 24 in October, same dates as you. Beyond excited! Although I can't find any information online for these units so, if anyone has insight into these units, it would be greatly appreciated.
Are you gonna post the same thing on every antelope thread on HT today? Just wondering and welcome!

Welcome to HT! I would go to Chloride, NM. Success rates in August for the several public tags offered 21/24 are phenomenal, though there were no October hunts last year as comparison. I recommend Chloride because who tf else would go that far? And it’s a ghost town with a short history of violence, +1 Apaches. Today Chloride has a gift shop. You can go there and buy some bad art, converse with the locals. Probably the only customer of the day so they’ll appreciate you and may share the prime location where you’ll find antelope. Embedding with locals ought to be considered part of scouting. Works real well some of the time.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of your experience chasing and judging antelope? But learn what makes a good antelope and learn how to judge a good animal. Get there a few days early and scout your area. If at all possible visit the area sometime between now and the hunt date. You have already accomplished the hardest part. Drawing the tag in NM. Congrats and enjoy the chase!

Welcome to HT! I would go to Chloride, NM. Success rates in August for the several public tags offered 21/24 are phenomenal, though there were no October hunts last year as comparison. I recommend Chloride because who tf else would go that far? And it’s a ghost town with a short history of violence, +1 Apaches. Today Chloride has a gift shop. You can go there and buy some bad art, converse with the locals. Probably the only customer of the day so they’ll appreciate you and may share the prime location where you’ll find antelope. Embedding with locals ought to be considered part of scouting. Works real well some of the time.
Great info Ben and I couldn't agree more about mingling with the locals! Thank you!

I'm not sure of your experience chasing and judging antelope? But learn what makes a good antelope and learn how to judge a good animal. Get there a few days early and scout your area. If at all possible visit the area sometime between now and the hunt date. You have already accomplished the hardest part. Drawing the tag in NM. Congrats and enjoy the chase!
I definitely plan to visit prior to the hunt. First ever antelope tag, so I will definitely research identifying good antelope in the field. I have honestly been considering enlisting a good guide service. One, because I can't find much information surrounding the units, and two, being it's my first ever antelope tag after having put in for over 30 years, I want to do whatever I can to increase my odds of success.

Are you gonna post the same thing on every antelope thread on HT today? Just wondering and welcome!
Thank you sir! I wasn't trying to be a pest, I didn't know which one would most likely get read, and I am admittingly a bit excited about the upcoming hunt. After you put in for something for over 30 years, and it finally comes to fruition, it's almost surreal. Lol

I definitely plan to visit prior to the hunt. First ever antelope tag, so I will definitely research identifying good antelope in the field. I have honestly been considering enlisting a good guide service. One, because I can't find much information surrounding the units, and two, being it's my first ever antelope tag after having put in for over 30 years, I want to do whatever I can to increase my odds of success.
How did it take 30 years to draw a pronghorn tag!?

How did it take 30 years to draw a pronghorn tag!?
That is an easy question to answer... Prior to this year, I resided in Northern CA and only ever put in for antelope in CA. I hunted elk and deer in CO but never branched out to other states. I know, kinda dumb. I relocated to TX last September for a job, and while watching a hunting show on Prime, I saw an ad for a company called The Draw. Some of you may be familiar with them, and they are based out of NM. Basically, for what I consider to be a very reasonable fee, they consult with you to determine your budget and the game you would like to pursue. They then make recommendations and take care of all the tag applications on your behalf. I signed up for their services, so this was the first year they put me in for antelope in NM, and to even my consultant's surprise, I was drawn! My only regret is I didn't branch out to other states prior to this year, but in my defense, I was raising five children who were all in sports year around, so just to get out hunting in CA was a miracle most of the time. Lol, I turn 50 in October, so this is a much-welcome early birthday present!

My advice is just don't over think this. Get some good optics and learn how to judge a good antelope. They are easy to find and live in the open spaces. Make sure you're proficient with your rifle out to at least 400 yards and get some shooting in this summer. The units have plenty of public land it appears glancing at mapping.

My advice is just don't over think this. Get some good optics and learn how to judge a good antelope. They are easy to find and live in the open spaces. Make sure you're proficient with your rifle out to at least 400 yards and get some shooting in this summer. The units have plenty of public land it appears glancing at mapping.
Great advice, thank you! I agree. In looking at the units on Onx, there definitely appears to be plenty of accessible public land.

Welcome to HT! I have hunted elk several times to the west of Cerra de la Olla and saw several antelope in the distance. The biggest issue I had everytime was that the "locals" are lawless with their hunter's ethics and their ATV/UTV usage on public land. Even the officer in Piedras Negras told me.... "not enough law enforcement officers" to control the chaos. Not all locals are lawless, but enough to ruin your day. They will trailer in park/camp adjacent to a road, but after that the sagebrush is their road. If you get high and glass and make a nice stock don't be surprised if an ATV cuts in front of you. Unaware of you and the antelope. My recoommendation, along with all the other good ones, is to get where ATVs can't drive. Of course, that puts you in for a good long pack out etc... Good luck!

Back