PEAX Equipment

NM Unit 17 2nd Muzzleloader Elk

gfontela

I was lucky enough to draw this tag this year and am really excited. The hunt dates are 10/24-10/28. As I'm in Florida with limited time off of work I won't have a chance to scout the unit other then a day or two before the 5 day season opens. I've already started doing everything I can to get physically ready for the hunt (considering the flat land I have to train!) as I've heard that the mountains there can be pretty rugged and unforgiving.

Anyways, I was hoping someone familiar with the unit might be able to give me any sort of advice or pointers that could help on the hunt and point me in the right direction. I'll definitely be taking my 15s on a tripod and might take my spotting scope depending on if I think it will be helpful.

Gaston

I was lucky enough to draw this tag this year and am really excited. The hunt dates are 10/24-10/28. As I'm in Florida with limited time off of work I won't have a chance to scout the unit other then a day or two before the 5 day season opens. I've already started doing everything I can to get physically ready for the hunt (considering the flat land I have to train!) as I've heard that the mountains there can be pretty rugged and unforgiving.

Anyways, I was hoping someone familiar with the unit might be able to give me any sort of advice or pointers that could help on the hunt and point me in the right direction. I'll definitely be taking my 15s on a tripod and might take my spotting scope depending on if I think it will be helpful.

Gaston
How did this hunt turn out for you? I lived just north of this unit when I was a kid. Haven't been back in almost 12 years and haven't hunted it in 15.

I am thinking about applying for this hunt and several others in close proximity to this unit. I would love to hear your feedback on this hunt and your overall experience. This used to be a "trophy" quality unit with 350"+ bulls being taken every year. I would imagine it is still a quality unit for big bulls but not living in the area you don't hear or see to many posts that can confirm if they are from that unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back