Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

NM Unit 16 Gila

aahrens_83

Drew Unit 16 Muzzleloader for FAD. This will be my first time ever hunting the Gila. Very excited! I really want to take advantage of this unit with the limit of vehicles and pack in far and push the limits. Any tips? Was somewhat leaning towards areas 16A&B. Mogollon Baldy Peak and south range seem steep and dense. Any thoughts or words of wisdom will be appreciated. Thanks y'all

I've hunted deer in 16 a couple of times, but I haven't been in there in the fall seasons much the past couple years. There are deer there, but they tend to be in pockets. 16B is wilderness so I can't help with that. In 16A I've seen several deer west of Snow Lake, you might try there. I have also seen them south of Apache Creek near Collins Park. The wolves are getting bad in that area so it may not be the best. If you narrow down some areas in the middle or NW of 16A let me now and I'll try to give you any information I can.

Dave

I love the areas you are interested in. I live in the gila and hunt 16b a lot. My favorite area for big mule deer. As long as your not afraid to get some miles on the boots, you will find a trophy. I see lots of mule deer and a few nice coues. No hunts for me but i hike there all summer long, and predator hunt in fall and winter. DM me i can give you more info. This is a unit 16b buck i saw in November last year.

Attachments

• 20191230_082238.jpg
    20191230_082238.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 197
I was around Collins Park on my Turkey hunt. Talked to a Guy and Gal who said they just saw 2 Wolves , and it was right in the area where the Rancher said He was seing some Toms. I never saw or heard the Toms. I was camped by Gynn pond ad a pack of wolves woke me up howling a week ago friday nite. Heard they are heavy by Collins Park also.Saw fair amount of deer dispersed all over the unit but nothin heavy as far as numbers. Most herds were 4-6 deer...............BOB!

I haven't run into any wolves yet. I wouldnt worry too much about them either. I have heard them a few times. I havent seen a crazy decline in game animals either.

I hope you have a good hunt. I am thinking of putting in for the early archery deer hunt there next year.

I was around Collins Park on my Turkey hunt. Talked to a Guy and Gal who said they just saw 2 Wolves , and it was right in the area where the Rancher said He was seing some Toms. I never saw or heard the Toms. I was camped by Gynn pond ad a pack of wolves woke me up howling a week ago friday nite. Heard they are heavy by Collins Park also.Saw fair amount of deer dispersed all over the unit but nothin heavy as far as numbers. Most herds were 4-6 deer...............BOB!

I had 4 wolves take down a cow elk less than 100 yds from my camp in Collins Park a couple years ago. In broad day light!

the couple that saw the 2 wolves said they talked to the Rancher in the area and He said He saw most of the Elk that were calving last year , the wolves were killing as they were born and not even eating them . Just Kill to Kill! Sucks. I saw a good amount of Elk but in the long run its got to lower numbers.

Bears are scattered in the Gila. Some big ones,not many tho.
I see lots of Oso Flacos.....lol. Skinny Bears. But they too do a number on calves & fawns.

How about good bear areas in the Gila?
Lots of good bear in the Gila. I find little pockets sometimes that will hold several bears at once. Biggest one i saw was close to about 350lbs. Had a cousin several years ago kill one that was 400. Definitely a good bear areas in the gila. Hopefully i get one this year. Found this dude last year going after grubs and what not. Got 43 yards but just wasnt big enough.

Attachments

• 20180714_183805.jpg
    20180714_183805.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38
Had this guy walk u on me a few years ago. Not a great picture, but he was big. Found out someone probably got him the next fall.

Attachments

• 0DC55474-030E-404D-9C19-7AD791447199.jpeg
    0DC55474-030E-404D-9C19-7AD791447199.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 33
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back