Yeti GOBOX Collection

NM Unit 34 Late Season

aahrens_83

Hi guys. Drew Unit 34 for late season archery. This is the first year I'll hunt elk in southern NM. Usually hunt in the Carson, Santa FE, etc (northern units). So hunting the Lincoln will be a new challenge. Seems the general consensus is the elk population in 34 is great so shouldn't have trouble finding them. Does this area get snow at high elevation in December? Enough to push herds down?
Any tips or words of wisdom would be great.
Thanks y'all

That's a very tough tag to fill. I saw they moved it to draw this year, it was an OTC tag. Usually single digit success rates. Not telling you this to discourage, just let you know what your up against. Its very easy to draw for a reason. The elk will be in nasty little canyons by then. Snow levels vary year to year. But if the snow is to bad up high you can drop down to the lower elevations on the east side, and west side road. West side road can be a bitch when its wet. Good luck!

I’ve been on that hunt twice when it was still OTC, it’s very tough. There was snow both years, a foot one year. It made the trekking even harder. There’s tons of elk in the unit but finding the big bulls that time of the year is always a challenge.

Don't get discouraged. Stay mobile and adaptable. Still hunting and glassing into canyons is a good tactic that time of the year. Do not be afraid to hang a treestand or sit in a blind if you find water that has bull sign. Just be prepared for weather, have maps (I like Game Planner Maps), and wet reasonable expectations and you should have an enjoyable hunt.

That's a very tough tag to fill. I saw they moved it to draw this year, it was an OTC tag. Usually single digit success rates. Not telling you this to discourage, just let you know what your up against. Its very easy to draw for a reason. The elk will be in nasty little canyons by then. Snow levels vary year to year. But if the snow is to bad up high you can drop down to the lower elevations on the east side, and west side road. West side road can be a bitch when its wet. Good luck!

finding a legal 6x bull there and then getting in bow range is quite the challenge. Plan on the chance of heavy snow and have your vehicle and kit prepared accordingly

I had that tag in Dec 2018. Saw lot's of five point bulls and smaller raghorns. One six point I stalked but he headed into the some thick, nasty stuff and I never saw him again.

Saw a couple groups that had guys glassing from high areas and then directed the hunters with radios. Don't know if they were successful or not. Seemed fishy to me but it's not illegal according to the proclamation.

Snow in 34 can be non at all to several feet. You never know what kind of snow the area will get but when a snow storm hits it usually a good amount of snow.

Is the snow enough here to push elk into the lower country? A couple feet doesn't seem like to much of a problem. I would imagine bulls sticking up high even with a foot or two of snow.

We have been hunting muleys in 34 in the January hunt for the past 13 years. I would look down around Weed to Timberon area and locate water. If the temps are in the upper 40's to 50's it will drive the elk to water. Hope for warmer weather with no snow. It is a tough hunt but a friend of mine killed a Toad 4 years ago on that hunt.

How are the road and trail conditions in the Lincoln? I'll drive my truck into a base camp and hike out each day since there's no wilderness area here

Roads are fairly well maintained, you shouldn't have any problems... Best of luck Great Unit!!!
Hmm...its a huge unit and Im sure there is some variability in the roads, but the majority of the roads we were on this Fall were very rough and not really suitable for passenger vehicles unless you have a few spare tires.

Hmm...its a huge unit and Im sure there is some variability in the roads, but the majority of the roads we were on this Fall were very rough and not really suitable for passenger vehicles unless you have a few spare tires.
Most of the forest roads down here are like that. I've taken my FX4 down some of them but it is "hair raising" at best. If you don't have 10 ply or better off-road tires the rocks will shred your tires. That's just the way it is out West. They don't call 'em the Rockies for nuthin'. Most of the locals use heavy duty side-bys to get around. The Gila and Cibola for sure. I don't know GMU 34 though but don't see why it would be any different. If you are going to use one for elk hunting NM requires that they be a registered vehicle:

Last mid-December not far from the lincoln. Actually the lincoln up above 7k got twice as much snow that day:
Hi guys. Drew Unit 34 for late season archery. This is the first year I'll hunt elk in southern NM. Usually hunt in the Carson, Santa FE, etc (northern units). So hunting the Lincoln will be a new challenge. Seems the general consensus is the elk population in 34 is great so shouldn't have trouble finding them. Does this area get snow at high elevation in December? Enough to push herds down?
Any tips or words of wisdom would be great.
Thanks y'all

Will get snow in December. The photo is the first week of December last year. The Lincoln got twice as much as we did that day. The fire restrictions have been lifted for Lincoln and the Gila so you can build a campfire and have a wood stove now. The Cibola will close roads for the winter in November. I don't know about the Lincoln but it is worth checking on anyway. As far as I can tell there is still only dispersed camping allowed. The 14 day self quarantine for travelers to NM has been lifted for non-residents from certain states. The elk numbers are on the way up in 34. There is CWD in 34 so F&G (have not checked recently) won't let the head or spine etc. out of the area.

snow.jpg

Back