Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NM unit 12 Bull Elk

Unreal!
I'm getting ready to head to that unit in 2 weeks.
Were you on State or BLM land?
I've been keeping my Escouting to BLM only.
I'd love to hear the story as well.

I was on a county road just glassing. I was able to make peace with the rancher and we worked it out so I'd rather just let it go at this point. We did find some elk, and a friend of mine got a cow (I wasn't hunting with him) on the other side of the unit I was hunting. What I realized is that a lot of the outfitters and ranchers think they own the public (state) land in the unit and most of them seemed to not understand at all what the E plus program allowed for. I heard of another hunter getting bullets flung his way randomly as well. I'm pretty conscientious about not trespassing and use ONX all the time.

From what I saw cruising some of the "ranchette" subdivisions, there's some shady stuff going on out there.

Congrats! Welcome.
I drew same tag. My home unit.
I pointed another HTer over that way a couple years ago, he left me with a cooler of frozen homemade food on 1st day so he could take his elk home....
Gary sent me a new ranch coat last year after some pointers....
....but what do I know.
I know I can maybe ambush one of those big boys heading to bed after drinking & carousing here all night this year...or catch him here....lol
I drew a first rifle in my home unit as well. Half hour drive from home. It isn't in 12 though. I am further South. I put in about a hundred hours of scouting time up until now. I was prepared to hoist the backpack and hike into the wilderness after the elk but as luck would have it I don't have to. I am going to haul-in base camp with the side by.

Rixby,
Watch Bigfin's videos on hunting burns, all of them! Find water and sanctuary near a good burn with plenty of grass and the elk will be there. Where I found them, the grass is about waist high and so thick and green you can't walk through it. Some of the F&G folks think that it is going to be a late rut this year. I concur with that. From what I have seen the last couple of days, the herd bulls are starting to push the cows around. The weather just recently changed. It has been very hot with some rain. If you are looking for a big rack this year in particular is a good year for that.

Last edited:
I was on a county road just glassing. I was able to make peace with the rancher and we worked it out so I'd rather just let it go at this point. We did find some elk, and a friend of mine got a cow (I wasn't hunting with him) on the other side of the unit I was hunting. What I realized is that a lot of the outfitters and ranchers think they own the public (state) land in the unit and most of them seemed to not understand at all what the E plus program allowed for. I heard of another hunter getting bullets flung his way randomly as well. I'm pretty conscientious about not trespassing and use ONX all the time.

From what I saw cruising some of the "ranchette" subdivisions, there's some shady stuff going on out there.
Sounds like my 1st runin with McCodger. They stay clear of me & wave now...lol.
Yeah,they think they own BLM & STL's. Most of them,that get LO tags, have zero clue as the reason for the entire program.
I see shadier crap in any car in any town. Yeah,there are some different people in Catron county.99% harmless,until...lol

Late rut,I think too. No expert. Got 1.33" yesterday & it is greening again. Had a bull bugling at my tanks again this morning before dawn. Lot's of solo tracks in mud along road,bulls. Still quiet.
The big bull taken in 1st bow was a 447",so no new record yet this year. I have seen some huge racks. Waiting......

The emperor has no clothes.....just what I thought....LOL :eek:

Sounds like my 1st runin with McCodger. They stay clear of me & wave now...lol.
Yeah,they think they own BLM & STL's. Most of them,that get LO tags, have zero clue as the reason for the entire program.
I see shadier crap in any car in any town. Yeah,there are some different people in Catron county.99% harmless,until...lol

Late rut,I think too. No expert. Got 1.33" yesterday & it is greening again. Had a bull bugling at my tanks again this morning before dawn. Lot's of solo tracks in mud along road,bulls. Still quiet.
The big bull taken in 1st bow was a 447",so no new record yet this year. I have seen some huge racks. Waiting......
I’ve heard of this 447 bull on a Instagram post. Any details? I think it mentioned the same guy had a AZ tag and killed another slob. But good for him! I know he has to b super excited

The emperor has no clothes.....just what I thought....LOL :eek:

I've been hunted 6 states in the last 4 years all DIY and do multiple out of state trips a year. This was the first time I was legitimately uncomfortable on a hunt dealing with the locals and outfitters. It sounds like there are better places to be in the unit than where I was..

WRO you are a better man than me. If I felt that a weapon was being drawn upon me and my wife then someone is getting shot. I am all for defusing a situation but there is a line you do not cross and pulling a gun on me is one that would be hard for me to look away from. I hunt with my wife and will defend her.

Yeah...I carry, but I have no desire to shoot anyone or be shot, best thing to do is everything you can to extricate yourself from the bad spot without anyone going bang...no desire for retribution, and no way I'd risk getting myself or someone I care about hurt trying to pull in that situation unless there was no other choice.

I've been hunted 6 states in the last 4 years all DIY and do multiple out of state trips a year. This was the first time I was legitimately uncomfortable on a hunt dealing with the locals and outfitters. It sounds like there are better places to be in the unit than where I was..
You didn't convince me. I don't believe your little story. Good luck.....

I’ve heard of this 447 bull on a Instagram post. Any details? I think it mentioned the same guy had a AZ tag and killed another slob. But good for him! I know he has to b super excited
Guided by local,most likely a ranch w/UW tag. Just saw some pics on FB & was told by bro of outfitter, score(green). That was 2 weeks ago.

I did mention that unit 12 would be different than normal this year, several times. Even the locals don't seem to know what is going on either.............never seen so many people I guess.LOL
Saw a guy hunting the ranch next door yesterday. Looked like he was in a yellow suit,guess he forgot about raingear....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back