NM unit 12 Bull Elk

rixty9

Hey guys,
Just found out I was lucky enough to draw a 2nd rifle tag in unit 12. I'm a resident of AZ and not sure how much scouting I can do because my wife and I just had another baby girl. I'm going to be lucky enough to go on the hunt. ;)
Looking to mostly escout and not sure where to focus my efforts. I've been thinking the SW corner due to public land access.
I typically use onX and have a good GPS so I'm pretty open to any area.
I don't need any honeyholes, just a good starting point.
Thanks for any advise.

Congrats! Welcome.
I drew same tag. My home unit.
I pointed another HTer over that way a couple years ago, he left me with a cooler of frozen homemade food on 1st day so he could take his elk home....
Gary sent me a new ranch coat last year after some pointers....
....but what do I know.
I know I can maybe ambush one of those big boys heading to bed after drinking & carousing here all night this year...or catch him here....lol

I'll be there during second archery season and will gladly share whatever intel I have..

Hank,

Sent you a PM. I'm sure I can bring some food to bribe you with..

Here's a tip for not from unit 12 hunters this year.
Be sure of where you are this year, more so than normal. onXmaps is more than your friend. Cell service is poor at best so....

I have a feeling the ranchers will not be taking kindly to trespassing ,fence/gate/lock cutting, more so than normal....lol They also have the public/ leased lands are my land mindset.
G&F cut, maybe ,half the ranches from LO program this year & they do not know if they are in or out, yet. When they do know they will not be happy....hell they are not really happy now but don't know it. LOL
SO,with that in mind, the term "could" or "did get Western" Frisky" comes to mind.
Same amount of public lands to hunt with 3 times the tags now.
Do your desk scouting as BF says. Get your ducks in a row,plans in place. Many plans. One motel & very few decent camp spots.
End of tip from retired LEO type guy that lives amongst (not really) the non existant masses...

Thanks guys.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip WRO.
I'm hoping to get out and put eyes on some potential camp spots and glassing areas in September.
Been hitting the Escouting hard.

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing about how your hunt went this fall. I love unit specific threads.

Never hunted 12 but there should be some nice elk there. Like Hank said, download the OnX maps and be careful to stay on public...I've seen nice bulls on and around the Malpais. If you can find and access some BLM and state lands around there you may have some luck. Otherwise, the SW of 12 is where I'd go.

As a follow up, I didn't get a bull. Got a gun pulled on me by a rancher, and would not recommend hunting this unit to anyone without an outfitter..
Unreal!
I'm getting ready to head to that unit in 2 weeks.
Were you on State or BLM land?
I've been keeping my Escouting to BLM only.
I'd love to hear the story as well.

WRO, I'm curious which rancher? & if it was reported to G&F or local LEO's? State or BLM lands? You can PM me if you wish.
There has been a rash of breakins & robberies on ranches in 12 starting early this summer. Lot's of pissed off locals as you can imagine. $10k reward from one ranch that was hit.
I said it would get western........I was contacted by one new 12 hunter here for advice & 2 in 13 so far. 2 in 13 never ran into any trouble.

Alot of crap happening in New Mexico this year: Jihadists, slavers, land granters, home invasions. People are nervous. But interfering with a hunt in NM is a big time no no. It is legal to carry a sidarm when you are bowhunting in NM. What I would do is to back off and blend in. They can't pull a gun on you if they can't find you. Nobody stops me in my vehicle unless they have cherries and siren going. Here in NM it is legal to go cocked and locked in all of your vehicles, including a UTV. Put that puppy right up on the dash!

Really, the odds that someone will bother you are less than getting struck by lightening. No outfiiters for me. It's do it myself or die tryin'

I have had a pistol flashed at me. I showed him mine as I hit the SO on speed dial followed by G&F call & the pics. Had my maps & GPS w/onxmaps. Backed off quick.
As stated interfering with a hunt is illegal. So is threatening someone.

Personally ,I have seen no caravans of jihadist, slavers in NM...... a close second might be a trip to WallyWorld tho...LOL
Just heard a bull screaming @ my tank. Now I just have to wait til Oct.......................

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe these local ranchers truly believe a NR w a elk tag are the culprits to their breakins

I had a similar occurrence in AZ on a scouting trip. No gun was pulled but a real jerk for a rancher confronted me. I knew exactly where I was at and it was state land

Well, DRO your silence is deafening! An outfitter with a stakeout ye be? Maybe a landowner with a tag who wants the nearby public to himself? What's your purpose here? Dupe us and we be all over you like stink on a skunk!

Back