NM Elk Lottery-Valle Vidal

Hi, I am not a new guy here and I did not draw a special tag. Since Uncle Larry is no longer with us, please tell me where I can kill a 350 bull on my Montana OTC tag. I've got several hunts already planned this fall so it needs to be in a spot where I can kill it and get it out in one day. I don't really like to pack elk very far so I would appreciate it if it was really close to a road.
I too like long walks on the beach, although I don't like it when sand gets between my toes and chafes my skin.

..or gets into places that hurt....it's icky LOL

I worked in NM last summer about 40 miles from Valle Vidal. I never stepped foot into it, but some of my coworkers (from NM) have told me there are some great bulls in the unit especially off the roads.

I drew the first season archery tag back in 2011. It was the most memorable hunt of my life. I'd guess we saw about 400 elk in six days of hunting. I don't really remember the name of the places but elk are everywhere. I think we were in the Cimarron campground and elk would be bugling outside camp almost every night. The border of the Valle Vidal and the Vermejo turned up elk pretty regularly. Just park off of the road and start hiking the drainages that feed off the little finger ridges. Pretty much every spot held elk.

EDIT: it was McCrystal campground. And the road runs from there to the eastern border of the Valle Vidal (with the Vermejo).

Last edited:
Valle Vidal OIL Tag

Congrats on your OIl tag. It has the potential to be the best hunt of your life!!

Somebody told me it's like an "elk farm!" I think it's like hunting in an elk hunting video.

A buddy and I drew the only two first season unguided rifle tags back in '05. We applied as a party app and we were picked first so we got both tags! If we would have been picked 2nd we would have been denied because there would have been only one tag left.

Anyway, after some quick investigation and soul searching we decided we didn't want to blow our chances of success on our OIL tags. We live in MI and didn't have the ability to preseason scout. So, we hired an outfitter who specializes in the VV area.

In summary, we're both glad we did and took two 6x6's that we're happy with. Don't believe the hype that the place is overrun with 330" bulls. It wasn't in ''05 anyway. It's a beautiful area,

Feel free to ask me questions and I will try to help.

Again, congrats! Your tag is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity!!

Last edited:
You usually need to post at least a few hundred times if you're gonna throw out a smart-ass comment like that and insult the same guys you're asking to go out of their way to help a stranger. Good luck.

So true. Spend $100 and join HuntinFool then get a list of members that previously drew the same tag, if there are any. Usually they are. Much less painful than dealing with online forums to plead for info along with 250 other newbies. I usually do find nice research through google for things like where to camp, which part of the season to hunt, etc. Choose your search term or search string carefully and go forth and prosper.

Should be a good tag.

With that tag, he needs no help. Walk from the road 3 miles, you are in elk.

Went with my brother one a cow elk hunt and couldn't find a cow. Elk were everywhere, but all bulls. About noon, he found a cow and completed the mission,

Do not overthink this. The elk are there

Thanks for this post. I'll be sure to craft a good introduction and this helps. I'm not only learning about hunting but the etiquette of the forum.

Welcome Kurt.
You don't need a secret handshake here,just basic manners. And follow through. Doesn't matter if you are a newbie or unsuccessful.
I personally never shared the little info I got with OP................for obvious reasons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back