PEAX Equipment

NM draw is open.

I never wait till last day but been applying in NM for a few years and didnt know this ever happened before. I guess i dont understand why a hour or 2 shutdown causes a 24 hour extension...
I usually apply the last day and don’t remember this ever happening. Luckily I applied Sunday and Monday this year.

I doubt it! This happens every year with all the guys trying to get it in as late as possible in hopes of refunds hitting CC before any charges. Part of me thinks that it's complete horse sh@$ to extend the deadline for those who chose to gamble on the last day. Sometimes when you gamble you lose. I can also recognize that's a bit of my selfish side. If they said you had till 5pm today you should be able to apply problem free till 5pm today. But there's a ton of things that should be one way and aren't why should this be different. I can't wrap my head around a bunch of adults being surprised when the same thing that happens every year happens again. And all you hear is about how unfair it is not how dumb it was to wait till the last second when the site crashes on the last day ever year.

Rant over!
I concur

I took advantage of the extension to get a credit line increase on my 0% card and put my wife in for everything too. Over $16k in extremely low odds lottery tickets in the household now.

Lol I’m used to this. Illinois finances have been in shambles for decades thanks to bloated state employee pensions. Their DNR website crashes routinely due to poor funding & technology. And Indiana DNR has its own issues due to excessive frugality. No application fees for everything has the system chock full of tire kickers who don’t show up for their hunts. Now can’t even draw a freakin turkey tag. Just gotta learn to live with these state governments with no incentive nor the funds to make improvements.

In NM I actually waited until 4 pm MST to apply this year. Due to my lack of enthusiasm for applying in a once great opportunity state. Now reduced to a poor investment due to social media tidal wave of applicants and nonrefundable fees. My low tier elk unit has crept up the HF & goHunt charts to mediocre status the last few years. Destroying odds even further. Haven’t drawn archery since 2011. This year, I could only justify the cost by applying for three different units, all muzzleloader season choices. Just to have a chance for an elk tag of any kind, without Powerball odds. Threw in pronghorn do to good overlap dates w/WY general. I’m too cheap to pay the tag fees for exotics & sheep. Odds terrible anyway.

Thank you, G&F, for giving me this completely undeserved and unwarranted opportunity to explain my actions to my wife.
Yup. Every year I have to explain to her what an oryx is, why I want to hunt it, why I need to apply if there is virtually no chance at drawing, and why I'd have to go to a missile range to do it. Very fun.

The state of NM has had IT struggles for several things in recent history. Their online system for renewing professional licenses renewal was fubar at year's end. I just figured it's all tied into the same HAL9000 in a basement somewhere in Santa Fe.

Had a buddy draw the 1 in 4,500 odds guided MT mule deer hunt given away by HF yesterday so it inspired me to tack on the works in New Mexico with 20 minutes left in extended deadline. :LOL: Like that will change anything.

All unrealistic except for one low tier muzzleloader deer hunt (27%) that overlaps nice with my WY gen. I’m very familiar with the unit too.

Attachments

• 0C18FDFF-9455-4A54-837A-89481B3349B0.jpeg
    0C18FDFF-9455-4A54-837A-89481B3349B0.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Had a buddy draw the 1 in 4,500 odds guided MT mule deer hunt given away by HF yesterday so it inspired me to tack on the works in New Mexico with 20 minutes left in extended deadline. :LOL: Like that will change anything.
Damn, your buddy drew that hunt??

Damn, your buddy drew that hunt??
Yup. Was on the phone with him all morning. He needed advice. His first Western hunt ever. He’s a hard core DIY hunter from Wisconsin who needed a nudge to get him out there. Well deserving.

Last edited:

All unrealistic except for one muzzleloader deer hunt (27%) that overlaps nice with my WY gen. I’m very familiar with the unit too.
That unit’s going to have great forage and glassing this year!

I’m curious to see the muzzleloader elk odds from this years draw with the new regs. I’m skipping NM this year but am keeping track of odds before and after reg changes and we’ll apply next year based on that
After failing to draw my low tier archery elk unit the last eleven years, I gave up and included deer plus five muzzleloader hunts in my choices this year. Am familiar with 2 of the 3 elk units from previous hunts. I expect others have done the same thing this year due to the iron sight change. Haven’t touched my muzzleloader in like ten years but trying anything to get a NM tag somewhere.

Last edited:
Looks like they should do this every year to boost applications.

Reactions: Zim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back