NM 2023-2024 Proclamation Out

From Title 19 Natural Resources
"DD. Use of cellular, Wi-Fi or satellite cameras: It is unlawful for any person to use any cellular, Wi-Fi or satellite camera for the purpose of hunting or scouting for any big game animal. Exception: This section does not apply to cellular or satellite phones which are kept on one’s person and not used remotely or department employees and their designees while performing their official duties.

[19.31.10.13 NMAC - Rp, 19.31.10.13 NMAC, 4/1/2019; A, 5/19/2020]"
Doesn't really distinguish between private and public. Spoke to my neighbor (works for NMGF) and she states these types are not illegal to have on private land but still doesn't answer the question of the actual use of the camera on private land versus public. I guess regardless of the land status public versus private, One cannot use it for the purpose of hunting or scouting. Not certain how this is enforced on private. Land owner could state used for security purposes.

I think the intent is pretty clear - not used at all. Private land doesn't change who the State says the animals belong to. Curious as to how they would ever enforce this.

David
NM

That muzzleloader deal could have a pretty big impact on draw odds. I'd bet a lot of guys will switch to all rifle apps, and those odds are so great to start with haha. I know it's going to be a tough decision for me as i was applying for both. Traveling nearly 1400 miles I'm not sure how excited I would be about having to use open sights.
That said I totally understand why, if they want it to truly be a "primitive" hunt this is the way it should be.

Unless I’m reading it wrong, or it got passed after the regs came out, scopes on muzzleloaders is only for restricted deer hunts. The rule does not apply to pronghorn or elk. Anyone have any a link that says other wise?

That muzzleloader deal could have a pretty big impact on draw odds. I'd bet a lot of guys will switch to all rifle apps, and those odds are so great to start with haha. I know it's going to be a tough decision for me as i was applying for both. Traveling nearly 1400 miles I'm not sure how excited I would be about having to use open sights.
That said I totally understand why, if they want it to truly be a "primitive" hunt this is the way it should be.
A peep should be ok, just no optics.

I am certainly hoping for a change in odds....running some round ball for my .54 today....

David
NM

Unless I’m reading it wrong, or it got passed after the regs came out, scopes on muzzleloaders is only for restricted deer hunts. The rule does not apply to pronghorn or elk. Anyone have any a link that says other wise?
Pages 2, 125.

Reading it wrong. From the first page of the regs, first item in the list:

Open Sights ONLY for Muzzleloaders
Only iron sights are allowed on muzzle-loading rifles when used during a
muzzleloader hunt (Hunt Codes: XXX-3-XXX). Scopes, red dots and all other optical
sights are prohibited.

That -3- code is for ML hunts, and is the code used for all species (the code works "Species"-Weapon-"Hunt Number"). Restricted ML Hunts are listed differently.

But, now this is interesting - I thought a peep would be ok. I think there will have to be a clarification. The title says "Open Sights" and in the verbiage "iron sights." My bet is they mean to allow peeps, but the way it is writ there are no peeps allowed. Missed that.

David
NM

In my enthusiasm to see scopes gone, I blew right past this ambiguity:

muzzleloader hunt (Hunt Codes: XXX-3-XXX). Scopes, red dots and all other optical
sights are prohibited.

Title says "open", body says "iron".

Looks like there will have to be a clarification. I use open sights, so no biggie, but lots of fellas use peeps with success, and to me open v peep for hunting is no biggie, just glad to see scopes gone.

David
NM

Reading it wrong. From the first page of the regs, first item in the list:

sights are prohibited.

That -3- code is for ML hunts, and is the code used for all species (the code works "Species"-Weapon-"Hunt Number"). Restricted ML Hunts are listed differently.

But, now this is interesting - I thought a peep would be ok. I think there will have to be a clarification. The title says "Open Sights" and in the verbiage "iron sights." My bet is they mean to allow peeps, but the way it is writ there are no peeps allowed. Missed that.

David
NM
I would agree

From Title 19 Natural Resources
"DD. Use of cellular, Wi-Fi or satellite cameras: It is unlawful for any person to use any cellular, Wi-Fi or satellite camera for the purpose of hunting or scouting for any big game animal. Exception: This section does not apply to cellular or satellite phones which are kept on one’s person and not used remotely or department employees and their designees while performing their official duties.

[19.31.10.13 NMAC - Rp, 19.31.10.13 NMAC, 4/1/2019; A, 5/19/2020]"
Doesn't really distinguish between private and public. Spoke to my neighbor (works for NMGF) and she states these types are not illegal to have on private land but still doesn't answer the question of the actual use of the camera on private land versus public. I guess regardless of the land status public versus private, One cannot use it for the purpose of hunting or scouting. Not certain how this is enforced on private. Land owner could state used for security purposes.

I'd like to know more about this...For me, it wouldn't be for scouting or hunting but I need to monitor waters remotely and cell cams do the trick on dirt tanks and manually filled drinkers, that I would be hours and hours from. This is private land, but it could easily be mistaken for scouting/hunting purposes. Also for security on private ground.

Seems like based on that, I should be fine...but that is up to someone else to agree with my intended use.

Last edited:
Are open sights with plastic fiber inserts considered illuminated sights?

I'm still trading my mz for a reload set up.
Maybe now they will go elsewhere and leave my trophy cow hunts alone. LOL

Very good moisture so far this year following last years ,should help the critters.

I'm old school and like hunts to be filled with surprises. Like hiking in and the tanks dry, surprise. Plan B.
Or surprise, this is the only water around for miles.

Tic toc...NM is too hard to draw, there are no deer or elks in NM...

In my enthusiasm to see scopes gone, I blew right past this ambiguity:

sights are prohibited.

Title says "open", body says "iron".

Looks like there will have to be a clarification. I use open sights, so no biggie, but lots of fellas use peeps with success, and to me open v peep for hunting is no biggie, just glad to see scopes gone.

David
NM
Page 125 of proc states "
Scopes, red dots and all other similar sights are prohibited"
Omitting "optical" before sights. A bit of ambiguity in my opinion. Agree with Davis, this needs some clarification.

Page 125 of proc states "
Scopes, red dots and all other similar sights are prohibited"
Omitting "optical" before sights. A bit of ambiguity in my opinion. Agree with Davis, this needs some clarification.
My Omega was illegal in CA & CO with the original fiber optic open sights.

Fiber optic sights are allowed on Muzzleloaders in CO.... no electronics, lights or magnification...
Not when I wanted to go there, which I don't now.
I got to hunt here in NM for years with it. Drew mz bull 8 times.
No sweat. I prefer my -06.
There. I just opened a spot for another hunter.

Are open sights with plastic fiber inserts considered illuminated sights?

I'm still trading my mz for a reload set up.
Maybe now they will go elsewhere and leave my trophy cow hunts alone. LOL

Very good moisture so far this year following last years ,should help the critters.

I'm old school and like hunts to be filled with surprises. Like hiking in and the tanks dry, surprise. Plan B.
Or surprise, this is the only water around for miles.

Tic toc...NM is too hard to draw, there are no deer or elks in NM...
I would not personally consider fiber optics as illuminated. They aren't consider that on a bow and almost every bow sight is now fiber optic.

As long as a light isn't illuminating them I can't see how that couldn't be ok.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back