MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NM 2023-2024 Proclamation Out

Valley1320

https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/home/publications/ Well the proclamation is out. Happy to see they have finally cut rifle tags number for deer in my home unit a little bit. I think 60 off one hunt and 55 off the other. Not enough but it will help some I think... Happy to see antelope hunts pushed back into end of August and end of Sept. Looking at their hunt dates tho for youth hunts and mobility impaired hunts the hunt dates are the same as the regular hunt beside them, have a feeling we got a typo

Happy to see it confirmed that muzzleloader regulations no longer allow any kind of optics, must use open iron sights. I also noticed for the first time that blackpowder or a legit bp substitute is required (that may have been the case all along, I don't really pay attention since I use Holy Black). No smokeless muzzleloaders.

Have not combed through to see how tag numbers look, for the most part they look ok to me. Am concentrating on ML tags, hoping that some of the optics guys will set those MLs aside and go someplace else. Going to have to look hard at the burn scars - a guide friend of mine had many clients take elk in the burn close by, but it was a low and slow undergrowth burner, and was green after two weeks of monsoon. The area near Angel fire got it hotter, may not be putting in over there, but I have three months to figure it out.

Take a look at the antelope hunt dates I think they have a typo on their special hunts that are supposed to be different then the regular hunts.

Happy to see it confirmed that muzzleloader regulations no longer allow any kind of optics, must use open iron sights. I also noticed for the first time that blackpowder or a legit bp substitute is required (that may have been the case all along, I don't really pay attention since I use Holy Black). No smokeless muzzleloaders.

Have not combed through to see how tag numbers look, for the most part they look ok to me. Am concentrating on ML tags, hoping that some of the optics guys will set those MLs aside and go someplace else. Going to have to look hard at the burn scars - a guide friend of mine had many clients take elk in the burn close by, but it was a low and slow undergrowth burner, and was green after two weeks of monsoon. The area near Angel fire got it hotter, may not be putting in over there, but I have three months to figure it out.
Do you know if a peep sight will be allowed with the new regs?

Oh, yeah! Kinda important. Not legal to use wifi or cellular game cameras to hunt or scout.

May have been there before, but it jumped out at me as I skimmed the regs.

David
NM

We can use them to catch trespassers tho right?👀😜😁
Sure.

Not sure how serious folks are in wanting to do that, but I kinda figure I want as much time in the woods as I can get. I am getting old enough that I can see that some day I won't be able to get out.

David
NM

Sure.

Not sure how serious folks are in wanting to do that, but I kinda figure I want as much time in the woods as I can get. I am getting old enough that I can see that some day I won't be able to get out.

David
NM
Had a buddy that had a cell cam before it was outlawed sitting by a two-track where lions crossed some. Definitely caught a couple vehicles that we didnt recognize. But I feel like alot of guys would use that for the wrong excuse

I believe a peep is considered legal, but I would check. The way they are written, they are very specific to say no optics.
Your first post had me worried as "open iron sights" could mean no peeps. The regs just say only iron sights so a peep should be good. Still gonna call and confirm. Definitely a positive change regardless.

Your first post had me worried as "open iron sights" could mean no peeps. The regs just say only iron sights so a peep should be good. Still gonna call and confirm. Definitely a positive change regardless.
I likely slipped when I said open iron sights. That is the normal competition situation when I play at the range. Iron sights will include peeps. I just hope enough folks will find out that peeps are not as easy as scopes that they'll be putting those rifles away to leave more tags for me and mine.....

David
NM

From Title 19 Natural Resources
"DD. Use of cellular, Wi-Fi or satellite cameras: It is unlawful for any person to use any cellular, Wi-Fi or satellite camera for the purpose of hunting or scouting for any big game animal. Exception: This section does not apply to cellular or satellite phones which are kept on one’s person and not used remotely or department employees and their designees while performing their official duties.

[19.31.10.13 NMAC - Rp, 19.31.10.13 NMAC, 4/1/2019; A, 5/19/2020]"
Doesn't really distinguish between private and public. Spoke to my neighbor (works for NMGF) and she states these types are not illegal to have on private land but still doesn't answer the question of the actual use of the camera on private land versus public. I guess regardless of the land status public versus private, One cannot use it for the purpose of hunting or scouting. Not certain how this is enforced on private. Land owner could state used for security purposes.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back