Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nipple Problems

R

rwc101

Now that I have your attention, after relatively little use the threads in the breech plug on my Lyman Great Plains Rifle have stripped out. I cannot get the nipple to thread in so that it is perfectly flush with the hammer. Lyman's only solution is for me to buy a new barrel with breech plug attached for 75% of what I paid for the kit originally. Any ideas on solutions?

Always amazing how the thread title paired with the OPs handle solicits such different responses....now if was @Greenhorn ‘s post🤯

That’s being said, I did the same thing years ago, gun smith had me back out the door in twenty minutes!

Lyman GP rifles are metric threaded. Possibly you tried to put an Imperial threaded nipple in it? Muzzleloading speciality houses can supply nipples in slightly larger sizes to accommodate issues with threads. You might check.
www.trackofthewolf.com

If worse came to worst, you could drill it out and install a bushing that was threaded for the nipples of your choice.

Lyman GP rifles are metric threaded. Possibly you tried to put an Imperial threaded nipple in it? Muzzleloading speciality houses can supply nipples in slightly larger sizes to accommodate issues with threads. You might check.
www.trackofthewolf.com

If worse came to worst, you could drill it out and install a bushing that was threaded for the nipples of your choice.

I have only used the nipple that came with the rifle. I've looked at the larger nipple offered by TOTW in case I can find someone to rethread for me. A lot of the steel parts on the rifle feels pretty soft.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back