Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Nikon Scopes

Rooster52

I used to think Nikon made some decent scopes but it seems they started BDC in most of there new scopes.I hate the little circles,cannot see how theycan help you in any way in a hunting situation . At 350 yards the circle completely covers a deer.

Agree Rooster. I have a Nikon BDC on my ML. Not very precise, luckily all shots have been in the normal reticle crosshairs anyway. The Leupold B&C reticle on my rifle is much nicer.

I got the Nikon Omega when I got a T C Omega 10 yrs ago as it was only scope made for a MZ at the time.
Optics are good but the BDC circles have always bothered me. They do get in the way,IMHO.
Granted I can get 3/4" @ 100 groups and 3" @ 200, but I always feel there is something covering my vision.
I have a Zeiss with the Rapid 600 reticle that covers more of the view ,you would think,but I can see right thru it easy at what I am looking at in the field. Never a distraction.
Thinking of getting a Leupold MZ scope when I can and selling the Nikon.

I get along pretty well with mine but would rather have just a dot. You can fine tune it by using the Nikon ballistic program with the expanded view.

I sold my last Nikon because of those stupid circles. They need to redesign. That said, people who buy cough silencers probably and zombie ammo probably love the circles.

I agree I just sold the pro staff that came on my 7-08 and bought a old style bucmasters because I couldn't stand the circles. I couldn't hit crap at the range past two hundred yards with those circles.

I have one of the new Buckmaster II 3-9x40 .Did not like it on any hunting rifle so ended up putting it on my 17HMR.

Well, I have a Buckmaster 3x9-40 with the BDC probably 4 years old. At first I was kicking myself, but when I studied, used the program on the Nikon website and practiced with it, I got to where I'm pretty good with it IMHO. I have found that you can't "cheat" it, you have to use it like it's designed.

That's been my experience as well. Like any tool, it needs to be used as it was meant to be. On my antelope hunt this year I hit my buck well but it went 40 yards and laid down with its head up facing away from me. It was dying but to end its suffering I shot it in the back of the neck at 270 yards. I shot my elk this year in its bed at 331 yards and hit right where I aimed. I think I'm going to stick with it a while longer.

Ya'll need to look at the new 7 series Nikon optics. They come with both the BDC and the Nikoplex reticles.. 30mm tubes and some great new coatings for additional light tranmission. I have four of the Buckmasters 4.5-14, 1" tube, with the Mil Dot reticles if anyone is interested in buying them. $250 each.. buyer pays shipping. Drop me a note at [email protected]

I've got one with the circles and I went online to plug in my info / magnification and printed off a cheat sheet but haven't shot past 300 yards with it so I just hold the correct amount over at 300 yards since I'm sighted in at 200 so I can't say if it works. I like the scope however and have never had an issue with it holding a zero or adjusting when sighting in at the range.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back