Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nice place to visit, but...

Big Sky

Chicago is a nice place to visit, but I could never see me living there. I did however really enjoy my time there over the weekend for my youngest daughters wedding. However if there is water and fish I will find it. This is Lake Michigan behind me. No matter where you put me the country side of me will always show through. Representing the plaid in Chicago, and was about the only one in the city doing so. Black hoodies seem to be the most prevalent attire in that city.
Troy-Adams-4-3-21.jpg

Good smallmouth and perch fishing with the city skyline in the background! But I’m like you, I could never live there. I have a seasonal neighbor who lives right downtown and I always wonder how he does it!

Good smallmouth and perch fishing with the city skyline in the background! But I’m like you, I could never live there. I have a seasonal neighbor who lives right downtown and I always wonder how he does it!
Speaking of smallmouth, just off to my right, was a guy fishing off the end of the pier for smallmouth. He didn't catch any as the water was still pretty cold, but he struck me as the type that gets after as soon as possible, and goes often. He had good gear and the right tackle to catch them. I enjoyed visiting with him for a few minutes.

Glad the wedding festivities went well.

Lived there 2 LONG years. Never again. Lived in the western burbs and worked downtown. 3+ hours per day commuting was norm.

Going there for a concert or ball game isn’t terrible.
It’s cools that humans were able to build it.

but yeah, way too many rats in one cage.

Most definitely Congratulations!!!
Welcome to the old farts club.
I Have a Graddoughter that is 22.
And one 12.
You Just wait...

PS I was in Chicago once, did not care for it at all.

I think my opinion of Chicago might be a little better than some as I didn't have to drive one single time. My son in law, or his father, drove us everywhere and they are locals that actually drive delivery trucks in Chicago for a living. In other words, they have the driving in that crazy traffic down to a science. If I would have been driving I would probably never go back. As cities go though it was pretty darn clean in the parts we toured and the suburbs around Chicago are some of the most eye pleasing neighborhoods I have seen anywhere. Nearly every major subdivision had beautiful landscaping with well taken care of lawns, trees, flowers, bushes, and most importantly small lakes and countless ponds. I was told there are fish is nearly every lake and pond as well.

I go to Chicago occasionally for work, and enjoy the downtown, and the restaurants.

But when I have to go to the plant in Chicago Heights...

Took my family to Chicago a few years ago over New Years. Spent a couple of days in Chicago, then went to South Bend for the Winter Classic. Enjoyed everything about the city. Agree that I wouldn't want to live there but we had a great time.

Lived there for 20+ years. Best city in the world. Plenty of outdoor stuff to do if you put your mind to it.
Youngest daughter and SIL loved Chicago...brought me back a cool House of Blues/Harley long sleeve T, but Chicago is pretty far down my to do list....albeit above NYC.

Had lots of conferences there; loved Morton's, Joe's Stone Crab, and taking the train to baseball games. But yeah, living there not for country boys.

Chicago is a nice place to visit, but I could never see me living there. I did however really enjoy my time there over the weekend for my youngest daughters wedding. However if there is water and fish I will find it. This is Lake Michigan behind me. No matter where you put me the country side of me will always show through. Representing the plaid in Chicago, and was about the only one in the city doing so. Black hoodies seem to be the most prevalent attire in that city.
Troy-Adams-4-3-21.jpg
Reminds me of Roy D. Mercer.

"Looks like I'm just gonna hafta whup yore a$$! Just how big of an ol' boy are ya?"
"I'll put a poop knot on yore head you can tie off a bass boat to!" LOL!

I have laughed at Roy "Damn" Mercer until my sides hurt!

My youngest was on detail D.C. for a year. Last September, I went up and spent some time with her.
We had a blast!

No grandkids, but I sure enjoy spending time with my kids!
Fishing, shooting, gardening, etc.....

BTW! You found Lake Michigan. Did you catch any fish? ...or even go fishing?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back