Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Nice beaver

Bambistew

I know you all have access to the internet and could find stories like this on your own... but this is one BFB... (BIG F'n Beaver)

http://www.cnhins.com/talkers/images_sizedimage_292234643/original

Beaver trapper catches two whoppers

By Eric Parry , Staff writer
Eagle-Tribune

BRENTWOOD, N.H. - When Dan Siudut got a call from a neighbor about an animal that kept chewing through her electric fence, he didn't know he was going after one of the largest beavers ever trapped in the country.

The average beaver weighs about 45 pounds. When Siudut, a licensed wildlife control operator, went to check the traps he'd set in his neighbor's backyard pond, he was astonished by the size of his catch - two beavers, one weighing a whopping 93 pounds, the second at a hefty 60 pounds.

"It's just obnoxious how funny and huge this thing is," Siudut said yesterday, holding the beaver's tail from where it hung in his backyard.

The New Hampshire Department of Fish and Game doesn't keep statistics on the largest beavers caught in the state, but retired biologist Eric Orff said it's easily one of the biggest beavers ever caught here.

"That's far bigger than anything I've ever heard of," said Orff, who oversaw the state's hunting and trapping department for 30 years before retiring in June.

Trapping season for beavers doesn't open until Nov. 1, but because Siudut is a wildlife control operator for Rockingham County, he can trap nuisance animals year-round. If it's out of season, which lasts until April 10 for beavers, he usually releases the animal in a state-managed wildlife area. But he's holding on to this catch because of its size.

"I didn't even charge the woman for these because they're so big," he said.

Siudut usually charges $50 for his services, but may charge more for coyotes or fox.

Animals trapped out of season are usually worth less because their fur is less dense than their winter coats. But because the season starts in just 12 days, Siudut killed the beavers and will keep their pelts. He's also planning to keep about 50 pounds of meat from the two beavers, meat he said tastes like rabbit.

Once Siudut gets a call about a nuisance animal, it can take up to a week for him to trap it. This time, he caught the two prize beavers in less than a day.

"The thing is, you have to check your traps every day," he said.

Siudut said the majority of his calls are for beavers.

"People don't think they can do anything about coyotes," he said. "But once beavers knock down a stand of trees and there's a pond on your property, they'll call."

Even though he knows the 93-pounder is probably close to a national record, he doesn't really care about setting records. More important, he said, is getting paid for doing what he loves.

"This is why I go to work every day, other than for my wife and kid," he said.

http://www.eagletribune.com/punewsnh/local_story_293115948?keyword=topstory

nice beaver, I've caught them up to 60 lbs and heard of some in the 80's around the area.Looks like that on has a nice pelt.

Back