MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Next Draw System to Implode

Next Draw System to Implode

• Total voters
Here is a stat big shooter: 0% of HT members (besides you) believe Nevada is struggling to get new NR applicants...

Nick let's see out of 105 voting, 5 agree with me. Based on the thread posts, about 5 agree with you. So you are putting words in the mouths of 95 guys. What up with that??? 🤔

So Colorado is leading the votes by a large percentage. I've never joined the game in that state on points. What's everyone's take on why? Pure preference system I guess? I know they already watered down the big 3 game I think.

Did we ever really define “implode?”

I’m not sure the pp system will
Implode in Colorado, whatever that means. I just think it has the highest likelihood to have sweeping changes over the next decade in regards to tag allocations, season structure, and overall opportunity

I voted for Colorado because the crazy point creep in certain units and to me their website isn’t as used friendly as other states. I’m not really sure what implode is, but if there are to be significant changes to a draw system I think it would happen in Colorado. I do think Colorado has a lot of advantages over other states like OTC units, lots of seasons, and sleeper spots. If they were to change anything I would like to see the preference point only option go away, but I doubt it will change due to the fact it’s a $$ maker. I will continue to get drawn in CO every 5-7 years, which is my goal as it fits into my state rotation well.

Did we ever really define “implode?”

I’m not sure the pp system will
Implode in Colorado, whatever that means. I just think it has the highest likelihood to have sweeping changes over the next decade in regards to tag allocations, season structure, and overall opportunity

We did not... Colorado will not implode.

Likely CO will go fully limited, but given quotas you will still be able to easily get a tag every year for most of the state.

The pref point system is definitely broken for Elk... these are only only units that require more than 10pts (of those some it's just 1 season, eg 2nd 3rd season 76 ~5pts) 1,2,10,40,61,76,201,851... those units hold only 5-6% of the elk in the state.

Orange - at least one season requires 10pts - Max pts
Blue - at least one season 4pts - 9pts (all of these units you can hunt with less points in other seasons)
* Resident draw
1595005221534.png

4170 hunters hunted 1,2,10,40,61,76,201,851 for all hunt codes including private land and cows, there are 24,641 people with over 10pts. So if CPW said ok, here's the deal anyone with 10pts we are going to freeze the draw and randomly send you a tag for 1 hunt code in one of these units until we get through all the 10+point holders, this process would take 6 years.

Meaning a lot of people will die with a pile of elk points and no chance at ever drawing.

That said 92%+ of CO elk can be hunted on a tag you can draw every year.

CO DAU's colored by Elk Per Square Mile
CO Trophy units highlighted in Red
1595010772813.png

Last edited:
The low number of elk in the Colorado NW trophy units areas are a direct result of the landowners having so much pull on population objectives. Much like MT and the Breaks. We could go through those max preference folks much faster if we could get more elk numbers in those units(which ironically bring the landowners a giant 2nd side income on vouchers). Lord I apologize.

For those Colorado elk numbers. There is no way on gods green earth i believe the numbers for E-33 unless it is a big average of the giant Spanish land grants vs the rest of the public kill them all ground.

An old friend told me abt 10 yrs ago that hunting was becoming a rich man's sport.
Increasingly, he seems correct.
This ^ States love guys that apply for years and years too hunt $$$,makes the states lots of money without having too give hunters anything in return except a few tags ever so often.

For those Colorado elk numbers. There is no way on gods green earth i believe the numbers for E-33 unless it is a big average of the giant Spanish land grants vs the rest of the public kill them all ground.
Yeah I just did elk number/ sq miles.
I’m sure it’s more like .01 per sq mile on public.

This is the best post on this thread. People know the odds. People understand preference versus bonus, and squared versus not squared.
Haha I wish they all understood. It would save me and a bunch of people on this forum a bunch of questions lol.
Still worth every second of it to have the privilege to come hunt out west. It’s not a perfect system in any state but I’ll apply for points and tags anytime they let me.

Haha I wish they all understood. It would save me and a bunch of people on this forum a bunch of questions lol.
Still worth every second of it to have the privilege to come hunt out west. It’s not a perfect system in any state but I’ll apply for points and tags anytime they let me.

No kidding. I ran into a guy this past scouting trip and he was like "I put in for 2, 61, 76 and 66 with 22 points and I didn't draw any of them! Damn system's broken!"

...... People know the odds. People understand preference versus bonus, and squared versus not squared.

I'd have to say no. Might be sorta true for a good fraction of HuntTalkers. But I see plenty of evidence that most hunters do not understand the draw odds or point systems, which admittedly are quite diverse. And a lot of people don't understand how their second (or 3rd) choice is handled, which also varies from state to state.

Last edited:
I'd have to say no. Might be sorta true for a good fraction of HuntTalkers. But I see plenty of evidence that most hunters do not understand the draw odds or point systems, which admittedly are quite diverse. And a lot of people don't understand how their second (or 3rd) choice is handled, which also varies from state to state.
Yes, some people are definetly ignorant. If someone spends $200+ to apply for Nevada and does not read enough of the regulations to determine it is bonus squared and that your first five choices all count, I really do not have pity for that person. Just my opinion. I also think this is the minority because I have some faith in basic intelligence...which may be too optimistic. These are the same people that would draw a desert ram tag on their second year of applying in NV but not go because they had an annual family pronghorn hunt in Wyoming that they didn't want to miss.

My arguement in this thread is that NV applicant numbers are at an all time high (as evidenced by their own draw statistics which show the exact number of applicants for each hunt and how many points each had) and increase every year... I do not think a system that is in a growth model will "implode" any time soon.

Someone can disagree that the system will in fact implode soon....but the fact that app numbers are up is from their own numbers.

Don't want to stir the pot which has been stirred enough. The number of applicants in Nevada is increasing, just check the ndow website. I just want to make sure that everyone understands that Nevada is a lottery system. My folks are NR and drew the first year they applied. Was a great time and they both got a deer. They could have been Zim and not drawn. That's the way lottery's work. It doesn't really matter how many bonus points one has, but what random numbers are assigned in the draw. First year or 25th. But I guess you knew that when you applied, and shouldn't be complaining after the fact. For this reason Nevada would be high on my list if I wasn't a 38 year resident because I like my odds.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back