Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Next Chapter...

AH64DMatt

So, seeing as if I have gotten a lot of great hunting advice on this site, I thought I'd ask for a little career advice too...what the heck..

After 11.5 years flying helicopters for the Army, I'm getting a Medical Board, which means my flying days are over, and I'll be looking for another career to start.

I've had the honor and pleasure of serving with some of the finest Americans this country has ever seen. I've also spent enough time in dirty, nasty places that I have to start being easier on my body, which is no easy task.

It's going to be several months for the Board, but I'm completely lost at what I'm going to do. I've loved every bit of my time in the service, and would like to do something outdoors-related, or possibly construction project management. I want to use the leadership and people skills I've gained throughout the last 12 years.

If anybody is a veteran out there, or has any recommendations for someone who's going to be leaving the service, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Matt

I have no great advice, Matt, but want to thank you for your service.

Advice of what not to do - Do not start at TV show.

Thanks for your service Matt.
Set your finances up in such a way that you have the ''expendable'' income to do the things in life that bring you joy.

Be your own boss. I leave money on the table every year by being my own boss, but it allows me time to do the things that i enjoy.What i lose in income,i more than make up in time spent with my family and hunting.

Good luck with what ever you do.

Matt,

Aviation stays in your blood and I would suggest looking into something associated with the Medical Helicopter business. Dispatch, Training, Community Relations. You might also consider something in commercial aviation. I retired from SkyWest in 2004 and I think they still have a maintenance base in TUS. Start in something like parts or fleet service and perhaps pursue getting your A/P license on your GI benefits.

I love to hire vets and have never found anyone with military experience to be anything but exemplary employees. Leadership, ethics, commitment, focus on the mission. The things you learn in the military will serve you well in any opportunity.

Thank you for your service to our country and have a Merry Christmas.

Move to New Zealand.
Become a hunting/fly fishing guide.
Buy a helicopter.
Fly rich Americans to the mountains!
Cheers
Richard

Set your finances up in such a way that you have the ''expendable'' income to do the things in life that bring you joy.

Be your own boss. I leave money on the table every year by being my own boss, but it allows me time to do the things that i enjoy.What i lose in income,i more than make up in time spent with my family and hunting.

Some Great advice and and comment as well.

Let me add, do something that you will enjoy and excel at.

I second this statement. Being my own boss allows me to set my own time off. One thing to remember.... You can make all the "expendable income" you want, however, you must get the time off of work to enjoy that income.

Every once in a while..... I dream of another occupation... I browse the STATE GAME AND FISH SITES or state sites and look at what job openings they have in the outdoors, I don't think that they pay a lot, however, "counting sage grouse", "water quality monitoring"... you'd be surprised at some of the COOL jobs they have.

good luck to all
the dog

As a VietNam helicopter pilot veteran, then having served twenty-five years in the Montana Army National Guard, I too passionately love rotary wing aviation. Most of my civilian career was spent as a construction manager and energy conservation consultant, so I can relate to your vocational interests as well. My success in the military, as well as a civilian, can also be attributed in large part to my education and experience with leadership and "people skills" ... as well as the good fortune of working with so many good and talented people of Montana. My passion for the outdoors has kept me hunting, hiking, canoeing, boating, uphill skiing (nordic), and mostly romping around the mountains and plains of Montana my whole life ... now at three scores and an octet and still enjoying.

Just one path I might suggest to you is to take advantage of your educational benefits and return to college to study construction management, much of which now involves using computer programs to track and report estimates, job progress, job costs, and the many important pieces of construction information. If you have further interest in the military, you may want to consider the National Guard or the Reserves. 'Just one Vet's suggestion.

PS: Although I enjoyed a twenty-year love affair with the "Huey", the only regret is not having a chance at some stick time in an Apache.

Last edited:
I don't know what your educational background is or if you have a degree in the natural resources field. If you don't, you might consider using the GI bill to get one. Being a veteren you'll have some extra 'points' or in some cases actual preference for putting in for civil service jobs. Lots of cool .gov jobs out there in some very great places to live. If I were you, I'd lean this way vs. a state agency as IME the pay and benefits are better. You won't be 'rich', but you'll make a good living and have plenty of time to enjoy life.

Thanks for your service.

My old boss from when I was in 2/1 Cav is flying Grand Canyon tours now.

Are your flying days over for just the Army or are you totally grounded?

I am totally grounded, and my flying days for the Army are over. My flight doc told me that unless I wanted to branch transfer to Infantry, a Med Board with a writeup for "medically disqualified for military service" was the way to go.

I'm not sure what the FAA is going to say about my stuff yet, but I have months of Med Board stuff to go through. I'm just lost as to what to do next...

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I appreciate it and am looking forward to reading what anyone else has to say!

Could you possibly fly for a local or state police force? I guess that would be more up to FAA than anything so if they'd clear you then maybe look into something like that. Or even a flying for a search and rescue type thing, again I guess that is up to the FAA. If that isn't allowed, then I'd say take a year off and figure things and do what ever you want for that year, assuming your finances allow that. Or maybe even a news helicopter.

Brian

I have a friend that is a construction project manager in AZ, I could possibly put you guys in touch if you think that's the career you're interested in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back