News to me . . .

I've always said Virginia could sell more license if hunters were allowed to hunt the whole weekend. A lot of people have 6 day work weeks now days.

Rehashing a decades long story. Pa. Farm Bureau has called the shots on Sunday hunting for years. Game Commission has buckled under the threat of Bureau’s members posting their land if Sunday hunting ever came to fruition. Only recently have politicians become involved, mainly because their politically appointed commissioners haven’t listened to their customers,(license holders),and are begging for a license increase. A recent audit shows some serious mismanagement of Commission funds. Stay tuned, sound like quite the debacle in the making...

The Pa Game Commission has been vocally pro-Sunday hunting for at least the last 5 years and at least neutral on it for even longer. It is a legislative issue that requires a change in law that the Commission is unable to do on their own. The legislature has been pandering to the farm bureau and refusing to make the change due to the potential political blowback that it may cause the individual politicians seeing reelection. If it were up to the PGC, this change would've already occurred. The PA Board of Commissioners do not, nor have ever had, the authority to allow Sunday hunting.

As for the audit, we shall see what happens but I don't foresee too much change. The "serious mismanagement of commission funds" you are talking about is another legislative issue. The governors office sets the budget for how much the agency can spend in a year and any excess money can not be legally spent and the agency has no access to it. In the years that oil and gas leases are profitable the excess money builds up in the Game Fund and has resulted in an almost 80 million dollar bank account with no legal means to use any of that cash. The Auditor General that performed the audit was on a witch hunt, guided by a particular politician that has had an issue with the agency since he took office. Speaking of the AG..... any surprise after all of his "big findings" that he announced his run for Congress?

Blame the Puritans. The residue of their archaic ideas is still smeared all over regional cultures 250 years later.

Blame the Puritans. The residue of their archaic ideas is still smeared all over regional cultures 250 years later.

Personally, I would blame it much more on the folks who are in the position to change it, but are either to stubborn or stupid they can't see to pull it off in a 250 year period.

Personally, I would blame it much more on the folks who are in the position to change it, but are either to stubborn or stupid they can't see to pull it off in a 250 year period.

I agree. Both statements are true. We contemporary thinkers are afforded the luxury of pointing out what has become stubborn and stupid, and should do so en mass. Legislation pays little attention to passive grumblings on a message board.

Reminds me of decades of battle over shopping blue laws in ND growing up, but I assumed this crap had gone the way of the buggy whip.
Not choosing a side here, either way, but...
For those that don't live with it daily and share the woods, and the roads, and the water with 'the buggy whip', it would be easy to assume that this is a thing of the past (out of site - out of mind, right?) and that their laws are stupid and outdated; however, these people and their laws are still alive and well and thriving among us everyday, believe it or not. They are people and have rights too.

Here is a popular PA boat launch... just some locals enjoying their public lands and waters.
(At least the parking lot won't be full on Sunday).

Grew up in PA. This has been an ongoing battle forever. One big opponent to it getting passed is recreationists complaining that they need one day a week to hike and ride side by sides without getting shot and a host of other reasons like the people that say deer need a day off once a week. Sounds silly but these people are loud and make their case very effectively everytime it comes up.

What part of PA? I'm leaving PA here in a couple months

What part of PA? I'm leaving PA here in a couple months
North central. Potter county. Actually hopping on a plane tomorrow morning to head back to good ol' Shinglehouse, PA to visit my family for the 4th.

North central. Potter county. Actually hopping on a plane tomorrow morning to head back to good ol' Shinglehouse, PA to visit my family for the 4th.

haha so how long after you moved out west did it take you to stop saying "PA" in lieu of "Pennsylvania" because no one knows what you're talking about when you say "PA".

I grew up in south of Altoona, a town called hollidaysburg. Every time i'm in Washington people always say I have an accent and ask where I'm from. Instinctively I say "PA" which is followed up by them giving me a blank stare and my finacee interjects saying "he means Pennsylvania"

Been gone 11 years and still cant stop saying it! Wife does same thing. Sometimes when people ask where I live I'll say ID. It's not catching on.

haha so how long after you moved out west did it take you to stop saying "PA" in lieu of "Pennsylvania" because no one knows what you're talking about when you say "PA".

I grew up in south of Altoona, a town called hollidaysburg. Every time i'm in Washington people always say I have an accent and ask where I'm from. Instinctively I say "PA" which is followed up by them giving me a blank stare and my finacee interjects saying "he means Pennsylvania"
^^^TRUTH :LOL:
Been 13 years for me!
Yinz have a good 4th!

Virginia is one of them, hunting on Sunday is allowed on private land only.
And even then you have to have written landowner permission expressly giving permission to hunt Sunday. I think there's also a stipulation about dogs and being too close to a church? I hunt public only so don't know all the particulars. The Smith Mountain co-op (public) does allow Sunday hunting with a permission card.,

Back